restarting windscreen thread - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
restarting windscreen thread

Hi all
I tagged this onto an existing thread without much luck, so though I would try it as a new one to see if any more people respond

I know this question is constantly asked but here goes again.

Out of the three windscreens on this link - which would be best for me? I am 6´1, currently have the stock screen upside down but want to do lots of long distance and hate the noise of wind in my helmet!

I know there is a bunch of info on here for screens, but being in Europe I need to think a little closer to home.

http://www.motobox.es/tienda/index.p...70_110_172_233

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 08:16 AM

The Biondi and Givi look about the same and appear to be a little wider than the other one. I would think either of those would be fine. See if you can find out how tall they are.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Get the Givi It works great and i think best fits the look of the versys than the others. By the way I'm 6'2"

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 07-30-2010 at 07:24 AM.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 08:23 AM

I never used stock but MRA Vario shield and it worked well (I'm ~190cm) until I broke it in a crash.
I'm currently looking for a new one and it will be either Mike's windscreen or Givi depending on availability.

Cheers.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Weljo, does the GIVI block out wind noise also? Is your head completely in clean air?

At the moment I have the stock screen upside down which works pretty well but after a 500km trip the other day, I think I need more protection.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I have mine on the top setting. Head is completly in clean air i have a modular helmet and ride with it in the up position up to 75mph. Wind noise has alot to do with the helmet. The dealership threw in an HJC 15 series lots of wind noise. I bought a Scorpion EXO-900 Modular Helmet. Extremly quiet well padded helmet. snug fit The average wind here in my area is 10 to 15 mph lately been getting 20 to 40 mph winds and the givi works great.only time i get any buffering is when I'm behind an 18 wheeler and passing another 18 wheeler and its minor

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...er-Helmet.aspx

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the further info, I am not keen on how the GIVI looks but am keen on how it works........hmmmmmmmm.

I see I should have spent more on my helmet also LOL
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 12:00 PM

Alternative

Just ordered mine from Mike (gtiturbo on this site) - will post my findings when it is delivered.

Foo Fighter Rider
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 02:17 PM

Just got the Givi, haven't tried it yet but will later today. I'm 6'1" and it looks like it will be the right size.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Great let me know how it goes compared to stock!
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 05:37 AM

Just got home from work. It was better that stock but maybe about an inch to short, I feel wind at the top of my helmet, it's clean wind though and doesn't feel too bad. I have those engine roller things (not full guards but just one thing on each side that sticks out) if I put my feet there and sit back a little, there is no wind. It's still much better that before but not totally gone. There is room to move it up if I want to drill 2 new holes, if I do I think it will get rid of all or most wind. It was nice to slouch down an inch and have silence (no wind). Overall I'm happy with the Givi. Plus my hand guards don't touch the windscreen.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

Hmmm, I am also 6´1 , and was hoping for no wind flow but without slouching or moving around, or having to drill and possible screwing it up completely! Maybe the GIVI is not for me then, does anyone have any other suggestions(for Europe) - I don´t know whether the famous Mike delivers here and how much that would be.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by spainy View Post
Thanks for the further info, I am not keen on how the GIVI looks but am keen on how it works........hmmmmmmmm.

I see I should have spent more on my helmet also LOL
Hi Spainy, at 6'1 youu should definately look at a higher screen, i am 5'8 so i find stock screen fine, like has been said before don't underestamate what a good helmet will do, I went from a very cheap loose fitting helmet to a more exspensive good fitting shark helmet and the noise reduction was out of this world but they do come at a price like everthing, "you get what you pay for"

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

Very true Kiwi,however with the bags at 566 euros, I cant afford a new helmet too So I think it will be better to get a screen Need to know other options for my height now tho!
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 06:45 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
understand 566 euros is a lot of coin, it takes time to build up gear. new screen sounds like a wise plan for you to enjoy the ride
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

Yep, since then the helmet doesn´t come into it too much, plus my helmet is only 6 months old anyway. So has anyone over 6´1 any ideas on a screen?pretty please?
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 08:22 AM

I'm 5' 8" with a gel seat which lowers me 1 1/2". I find a 17" screen about right - the wind hits just about the top of my forehead. I'd get the largest (tallest) screen available if you're 6' 1". Mike's shields has a 21" Grand Touring screen. That's what I'd get.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krbuc View Post
Overall I'm happy with the Givi. Plus my hand guards don't touch the windscreen.
What hand guards do you have?
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 10:07 PM

Powermadd hand guards, I had to play around to get them not to hit but it was done. I basically cut the mounting bar a bit in order to bring the gaurds in closer.

Since the GIVI is close I figured I would play around with it a bit, plus i got it off ebay and cant return it. I found two straight pieces of metal and used them to extend the sreen mounting bracket. Then I painted the short stock screen and put it on upside down. I then mounted the GIVI in top of the stock screen. I was able to move the screen up about 2-3 more inches without drilling any more holes. I haven't had a chance to drive it yet but will tomorrow.

Basically, if you have a GIVI or like the GIVI better, you could make it taller this way. Otherwise maybe a taller one would be better, I'm 6'1 though so if your shorter the GIVI without modification might work. The pics are not the best and it does look better than the pics show.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_5742.jpg (499.2 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg 100_5743.jpg (476.9 KB, 154 views)

Last edited by krbuc; 04-17-2010 at 10:10 PM.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

You guys have some mad ideas, I wish I could think of stuff like that, and then be able to carry it out too.

I still cannot believe that nobody has a windscreen that is ok for a 6'1 person.......and since I am 6'1 that is quite annoying!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode