Anybody with crash bars dropped their bike? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Anybody with crash bars dropped their bike?

Hi everyone, this is my first post but I've been looking around here for some time. I'm really interested in picking up a new '09. The problem I'm having is that I'm worried about dropping it. I'm not really concerned about laying it down at speed or anything because insurance will cover it and the bike will be the least of my worries. My primary worry is dropping it at a stop sign or in my driveway or some other low/no speed noob mistake. The fact that it is fairly naked with no big expensive fairing to crack is appealing, but I'd rather it didn't sustain any noticeable damage at all. I have looked at the crash bars and read a few posts, and it looks like they will do a pretty good job. I know nothing is perfect, but if I can bolt a set on and have a fairly low chance of hitting anything other than them and maybe the bar ends, I think I will pull the trigger on this bike.

So, I guess my question is, those of you who have crash bars, sliders, or whatever else and have dropped your bikes, what kind of damage did your baby sustain? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 11:39 AM

have H&B engine guards
dropped 3 times
once stationary, and off bike.. no discernible damage to bike or engine bars
once low speed going up hill on a farm track, lost it on wet grass, controlled fall by using body
once dropped at low speed on black ice, slid along the road for 2, possibly 5 metres, engine bars scraped, no discernible damage to bodywork.

..and Im hoping its staying at 3.....
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 09:43 PM

I have H&B bars and Barkbuster hand guards with Storm covers. Dropped bike once, standing still. The H&B bars had a couple of scratches, a few more on the Storm plastic cover. No other damages. I recommend both crash bars and hand guards.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 11:27 PM

Been there, done that!

It ain't necessarily a noob mistake - even the old-timers do it from time to time. On this occasion, excited to be heading out on a 5 day trip, I backed out of the garage and forgot to put the kickstand down when I dismounted to close the garage door. Let it lean and it just kept on going...
I had it heavily loaded, but there was no damage at all. The Happy Trails panniers and crash bars kept the bike from touching the pavement. I have the Strom hand guards on it but they escaped unharmed. There is a small scratch on the corner of one pannier from a previous drop, and a small scratch on one crash bar, but they aren't noticeable enough to make it worth repainting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't you think that it's a ^%#$&# shame that Hunter S. Thompson wasn't an adventure rider? Imagine the ride reports...!
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 12:39 AM

I think i've posted this somewhere else, however H&B's are great as long as you don't plan on hitting anything other than the road/ground.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ys+pics&page=7

Be prepared to replace your standard handlebars too, as even a small off can bend em good.

As for Bark Busters they are well worth it, imho.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 02:52 AM

H&B engine guards here.
Had an off at the track, we both slid for a spell, new handlebars needed. Eng guard took the brunt of it and homemade rear rack took the rest, bit o paint, no worries mate
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 09:56 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeWNC View Post
It ain't necessarily a noob mistake - even the old-timers do it from time to time. On this occasion, excited to be heading out on a 5 day trip, I backed out of the garage and forgot to put the kickstand down when I dismounted to close the garage door. Let it lean and it just kept on going...
I had it heavily loaded, but there was no damage at all. The Happy Trails panniers and crash bars kept the bike from touching the pavement. I have the Strom hand guards on it but they escaped unharmed. There is a small scratch on the corner of one pannier from a previous drop, and a small scratch on one crash bar, but they aren't noticeable enough to make it worth repainting.

Takes some balls to admit AND send picture of this mishap

+1 to you !

LOP
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 09:58 AM

Yep...Zero speed drop in the driveway with the H&B's...Slightly bent brake lever, that was it...Whew

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 10:20 AM

I had a set of SW Motech crash bars (sold by Twisted Throttle) on my V-Strom and they did a great job of protecting in the event of a tip over (two or three actually). They are very solidly mounted. One thing I like best about the SW Motech bars is that the manufacturer seems to put a lot of effort into making the design of their bars flow with the lines of whatever bike they are designed for while still doing the job. (IMHO), SW Motech crash bars always look better than Hepco Becker bars but again, that's jusy my opinion. I will buy a set for my new Versys when I get to it and it's always nice to add something that doesn't detract from the appearance of the bike.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 08:17 AM

Send a message via MSN to StarLight
I also have the H&B crashbars together with Barkbusters (VPS) handguards, dropped it twice while standing still, once on either side

first one was on "smooth" asphalt, nothing visible on handguard and a tiny scratch on crashbar that is easily touched up; the handguard, crashbar and footpeg carried the bike, no contact anywhere else and no damage to the bike

second one was earlier this week, also standing still, I was not on the bike; just had it parked on the pavement in front of my house but it got blown over on its side... the asphalt here was a bit rougher, so now there is a scratch visible on the handguard and about one inch long scratch on the crashbar to the bare metal; unfortunately my givi v46 topbox was mounted at the time, and this touched the ground now as well... bad scratching on the black and grey plastic which is a shame

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info everyone. I've been calling around to various dealers looking for a green '09 in stock. My local dealer has one in the showroom, but was impossible to deal with on price when I was looking at a KLR a few weeks ago. The V is actually right next to the KLR, but I never really looked at it because I thought the KLR was what I wanted at the time. I wasn't in love with the KLR after sitting on it and after some research the V kept seeming like a perfect fit for me. So, I'm going to stop by the dealer tonight and make sure I'm comfortable on it. I will try to work a deal, but am not optomistic. Fortunately I found a dealer about an hour away who is willing to give me a great price on the last blue one he has in stock. I haven't seen a blue V in person, but have seen the color on an ER-6n and did like it. With any luck, it will still be there on Saturday when I have time to look and I will be a proud new owner!
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 11:48 AM

I've had a moving crash with H&B crash bars, opposed to a stationery tip over. They totally saved the side of my bike

Other than a bent brake pedal and the scratches on the bars there was zero damage. I sanded the scratched bit down, before it had a chance to rust, used a Wal-mart spray can and they are good as new.

Machog
Urbanengineer likes this.

post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 05:25 PM

The other half of the question is: Has anyone tipped over the bike either standing still or moving without engine guards and what was the resulting damage? Also, what help do engine guards provide if you have Givi V35 side bags? Don't the side bags take all the impact? If so, why buy engine guards if you have side bags? I'm just trying to decide if engine guards make any sense if the side bags are going to be absorbing the impact. I don't think the engine guards add to the appearance so I'm looking for a practical reason not to buy them. I would appreciate any input on this line of thinking.

"life is not a dress rehearsal"
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 09:04 PM

When your bike goes down, the side bags will take the first impact, but then the bike will pivot around that contact point and crash the front. There are a lot of parts up front that are costly to replace and if damaged enough, can stop your ride cold right then and there.

You may not go down for a long time, but when you do it is so nice to just smirk at the scratches in the crash bars and ride on.

You have to weigh the pros and cons (good looking vs. welll protected) and I choose the well protected side; my V has SW Motech crash bars on it. And I have to say, I don't think it looks that bad...
I am also the guy that wears a white helmet, Olympia pants with CE armor and a hi-vis neon yellow jacket, in stead of cool matching or dark colors...
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 09:46 PM

It looks like it's mostly the guys with H&B crash bars that drop their bikes. I'm glad I got the SW Motech bars. Nobody with SW Motech has reported a dropped bike. Seems like the SW Motech is good insurance!
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 08:21 PM
Ted

I dropped while moving at relatively low speed but was going into an uphill right hand turn (hit some loose something on the pavement). The HB bars helped a lot. So did the "frame slider" that was on my upper fairing. Got some minor damage to the fairing and engine cover, but nothing like what would have happened without the bars.
Glad that I bought them.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 10:08 PM

I was riding with the SW Mtotech bars when they came in handy after lowsiding then busting through the ditch around 65kph. They saved the engine case but as far as fairing there was no saving them. Bent handlebar, both levers up front, put a good dent in the side of the rad and a broken casting for the gear shift. Regardless of what you get case guards are a good insurance.

Last edited by cadpatgriff; 04-22-2010 at 10:22 PM.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 12:42 AM

I did a slow speed crash after hitting a patch of chip and seal. I had no protection for the bike. It caused over $500 worth of damage. The plastic is expensive.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 04:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I slipped off the side of a small dirt road at about 30 mph with Hebco & Becker's crash bars, Tag Metals T2 tapered aluminum handlebars with Zeta hand guards, and swingarm spool sliders... No damage done. I only had to straighten the rear brake pedal and pop the right rear flasher back in its place. I flipped over backwards on the ground, and was happy that the Versys didn't. Oh and I was glad I wasn't wearing my Shoei RF-1000 helmet which would've been scuffed and strained my neck in that back-roll.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 11:17 AM
naz

a bit oxymoron to fall of the bike and then be happy because you didnt scratch your helmet i have a cheap ogk helmet for commute distances and an arai for serious mileage.never fall of the bike though the last 12 years that i ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode