Wind screen question..............Head hurts. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Wind screen question..............Head hurts.

I went on a 100 mile trip on the V yesterday. Usually my ear plugs always do the job, but i think it was the wind that was making my head hurt! Would i have experienced the "buffeting" that some of you talk about when commenting on windscreens? I just felt like it was VERY windy on my head most of the day. So forgive me newb and someone set me straight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
When i had my stock shield on. my head was bounced around like a speed bag. Got the Givi shield and no more problem.But i think anything would have been better than stock. Average winds here are 10 to 15 mph most days but lately they have ranged from 20 to 40 mph. So several times i wound up with headaches and a sore neck from the wind shoving the helmet between my shoulders.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Ok, well im glad i at least had a clue as to what the problem was. Thanks for the reply.

So then, one of these should fix my problem? I did read on webbikeworld that they liked the Givi the best.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Versysprod.html

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/3831/652/

http://www.chromeworld.com/ProductDetails/ProductDetails.aspx?pid={a33cda65-e198-4e7a-9d86-f0a7c9a9a667}&gid={45380ae5-9a22-4c1d-879d-fe759ba6c60d}&GroupName=Kawasaki+Versys+Windscreen &pname=National+Cycle+VStream+Replacement+Windshie ld+For+Kawasaki+KLE+650+Versys&Referer=&Alias=&ptc t=SGR-SR&CTitle=&

post #4 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I got the Givi from twisted throttle. I'm 6'2" and put it on the top setting and it works perfect for me also i think it blends in with the look of the bike better than the other windshields i've seen so far.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 07-30-2010 at 07:24 AM.
post #5 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Sounds like the winner then. Thanks!
post #6 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 08:07 PM

Don't forget about our own gti20vturbo. I just received his tinted touring shield on Friday. I have yet to try it out but it fits perfectly and IMHO looks GREAT. You can see pictures of them HERE

Have A great night!

Ride em if ya got em!
post #7 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 11:43 PM

I also recently recieved a shield from Mike and the bike is alot more enjoyable to ride on the highway, took 100 mile circle today and it was a complete diff. Great price and great shield-- he also has a demo shield going around so you can "try b4 buy". Don't see any other manuf. doing that! jmho

Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #8 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 06:01 AM

Put mine upside down as per a suggestion here, made one hell of a difference.
post #9 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 10:06 AM

+1 on Mikes Shield!! I am currently using the demo shield and I really like it! It is like riding a whole new bike. Could not stand the thought of putting the stocker back on, so I have ordered a clear touring shield from Mike.
post #10 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 01:32 PM

But Bama,

Everyone knows the tinted one is faster....lol j/k

Coming from a cruiser and touring back ground I am sure the I will be much more comfortable with the bigger shield. And it is just a two minute job to change it back to stock if I get around any trees....lol

Have a Great day.

Ride em if ya got em!
post #11 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

I ordered the GIVI. But if i can get my hands on that sample, id like to try both.
post #12 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 03:45 PM

You guys with Mike's screens. Do you have the touring or grand touring models?
post #13 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 08:24 PM

Right now I am using the "Touring" model. The demo version that I am using is clear, so it's not as fast as tinted! I have ordered the exact same version as the touring model, it works very well for me.
post #14 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 08:29 PM

@ opie
I have the touring model. I am 5'10" with a 30" inseam and I have no problem looking over it.

@ bama

sorry guy, I was trying to funny. no malice intended.

Have a Great night!

Ride em if ya got em!
post #15 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 09:15 PM

I have mikes tinted touring and give A thumbs up.
post #16 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 09:38 PM

Are you wearing a properly fitted full face helmet? Maybe that seems ovbious but I guess I missed the email and spent the last year with a loose fitting face shield helmet wondering where all the buffeting was coming from. Duh. Made the switch thank goodness.
post #17 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaVersys View Post
+1 on Mikes Shield!! I am currently using the demo shield and I really like it! It is like riding a whole new bike. Could not stand the thought of putting the stocker back on, so I have ordered a clear touring shield from Mike.
I'd like to give this a test run, how soon will this be available and what must I do to get my hands on it?

Thanks, Mike
post #18 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

No, i have a full helmet, fits perfect. But going 75 mph into the wind, no fun.
post #19 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 09:32 AM

Here is my windshield experience:

Stock shield, right side up: Terrible buffeting/wind swirls pulled my head around so much it was hard to see over 70mph. Only lasted that way about 100 miles.

Stock shield up side down: No buffetting, blocks air to about my arm pits and my head is in clean air. Best set up for me in strong cross winds and is my summer set up. Have about 3000 miles on this set up, including a few 300 mile days.

Mikes touring shield with re-shaped top line. Cut 1" lower in the center and smoothed out to original height on the sides in the lowest set of mounting holes seems to give the smoothest air flow to me. This is great in the winter, wind hits right at eye level, just where I like it. With big cross winds I prefer to be out in the wind so it is a consistent pull. The gusting behind a large windshield is worse for me than being in the wind all the time. Have about 1000 miles on this set up, it gets less miles as my winter riding is limited up here.

Paul
post #20 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 02:09 PM

Lucky Duck, which mounting position do you use for the upside down stock windshield and could you give your height and inseam? Thanks for helping with my own ongoing Versys windshield research.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode