Kawi TALL TOURING Screen Question - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Kawi TALL TOURING Screen Question

Has anyone tried raising the OEM tall screen to make it more effective? I'm 6 feet inseam 33. The stock screen is crap for highway, the Kawi tall screen is wider but not taller. I've modified a scooter screen and it works great but I don't like it on the bike. I feel the answer is with the OEM tall screen. I've been experimenting with the angle. I moved the top forward 3/4" today and it improved the highway protection. Has anybody tried anything similar with either angle and/or height? I will make extender brackets to move it up from stock height. Anyone try this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
Has anyone tried raising the OEM tall screen to make it more effective? I'm 6 feet inseam 33. The stock screen is crap for highway, the Kawi tall screen is wider but not taller. I've modified a scooter screen and it works great but I don't like it on the bike. I feel the answer is with the OEM tall screen. I've been experimenting with the angle. I moved the top forward 3/4" today and it improved the highway protection. Has anybody tried anything similar with either angle and/or height? I will make extender brackets to move it up from stock height. Anyone try this?
I have a CalSci XL (or is it XXL) screen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20091005_03_VersysFrontCalsciScreen.jpg (57.5 KB, 285 views)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 08:01 PM

I just installed Mikesshields Gran Touring model( not the largest) and had in set in the middle position and highway riding was pleasent even with 10-20 mph winds. The extreme buffeting from the traffic was gone. I was able to pass semis without the usual wind. So far I am very pleased with the shield!!! I am 6'1" with a 34" inseam.
Hope this helps---great price for the shield also, Mike is very good to work with!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 09:16 PM

I use the OEM middle screen, and found it too short. I just added the Laminar Lip, moved it up as high as possible, increased the height by seven inches. Makes a much more pleasant ride.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 06:51 AM

I have the Vario screen but the added screen spoiler was too short to be effective so I replaced it with the original screen. This significantly reduce the wind but unfortunately still allows a little air to get by resulting in some wind noise around my helmet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00620.jpg (1,010.8 KB, 120 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Dorian, you got the idea. I'm working with what I got before I go after market. I'm taking an extended highway trip and don't want to feel like I went 10 rounds with Mike Tyson. If I do buy one, I read good things about Mikes as Randy suggests.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 11:49 AM

It has reduced wind enough that I can hear the engine at highway speeds, and I can turn my head without feeling like thew wind is going to take it off.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 03:43 PM

I'm happy with Mike and the touring shield, not the biggest one. I'm 6' 34" inseam and no buffeting. I've ridden 1000 miles in 24 hrs. and still happy. Good price too!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

I just took a test ride. I've got to make up a couple of bars with holes in them that will allow me to move the Tall Touring screen up a few holes. As it is I moved it up two holes and made 3/4" spacers for the top and left the stock long ones on the bottom and noticed a significant improvement. I will need a longer ride. I think this screen looks the best. I'll post pics soon.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 11:38 PM

Mike will drill the holes where ever you want or let you drill them yourself. Just a thought.
Took 100 mile circle today and am amazed at how much more enjoyable the bike is to ride with the new shield. THANKS Mike!!!!

Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
I have the Vario screen but the added screen spoiler was too short to be effective so I replaced it with the original screen. This significantly reduce the wind but unfortunately still allows a little air to get by resulting in some wind noise around my helmet
Looks great and i like the Corbin seat too. Never thought about doing that with the old windshield. Anyway, great idea.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 05:36 AM

Thanks, I couldn't see spending more money on an other screen without trying this first. Works well enough, so I don't see the need to buy an other screen at this point.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode