s.w. motech crash bars-show me your nuts - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
s.w. motech crash bars-show me your nuts

Mounted the bars today on another learn my new (to me) scoot day. The front engine mount nuts provided do not fit in the recessed area. I tried for well over an hour to get the left side in. I finally gave up and went a different way.

In tightening the u-bolts to 23nm per provided instructions I find a good 3/8" of thread showing through the nuts. So to install the plastic caps I will need to cut off the extra.

Anyone else have this happen?

Battery is near dead on the lap top. I'll be back to check for answers soon.

Thanks,

Bob

Ride em if ya got em!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 06:19 PM

This varies from bike to bike, but when the ubolts are tightened even a little on my V the increase in engine vibration throughout the whole bike is incredible. It makes the V almost unrideable. Not everyone has had that experience, apparently. I went so far as to add a layer of rubber between the crashbar and ubolts in that area, replaced the spring-steel locking nuts with nylock nuts that are shorter in height and put rubber washers under the nuts. My torque spec on the nuts is now close to zero with the nylock holding them on. It was the only way I could make the vibration go away.

Have you ridden your V since the installation? Depending on the level of vibration, you might vary your approach to the torque issue appropriately.

I would not cut off the ubolts until you have ridden the bike; and even then I would add a flat washer or two under the nuts instead of cutting.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 09:26 PM

did both of you add the cushioned pieces that wrap the frame tube before putting the u-bolts on? My bars came with round tube shaped pieces of a fairly hard plastic or rubber. I've torqued mine and have no increased vibration that I can discern

Kansas - Eleven curves in three hundred eighteen miles...

2008 Versys, SOLD!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 BMW R1150RT Lovin it!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Sorry for the late reply. It has been one of those days. Spa sprung a leak. Cat ate the cord for the lap top. Battery went dead. Just got that fixed. LOL

No I have not cut the extra off of the U-bolts yet. I will wait until I ride it. Yes it did come with the plastic frame protectors and they are in place.

I ended up taking my 80 year old mother and her friend out for steak. I had not seen her since August so that was a must do.

Tomorrow I will finish up wiring the G.P.S. and mount the Mikes Touring shield. And possibly the louder horn. And take my wife out riding on the big scoot. So it will probably be Monday before I get a chance to run her through her paces.

Thanks for the tips. I will check twice before cutting...LOL

Have a Great Night!

Ride em if ya got em!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode