Need Opinions on Handguards and Heated Grips - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Need Opinions on Handguards and Heated Grips

I know it is the wrong time of year to be thinking of this, but my friend is making an order, and has a discount, so I am going to get in on it with him.

First - Handguards

I want them for blocking the wind. I won't be needing them to protect my hands from trees, or branches or whatever. That said, I still would like them to look nice.

I have narrowed it down to the following parts (Hope people don't mind that I borrowed your pictures).

KTM

Acerbis Dual Road

Powermadd Star Series Guards - I would also get the extra extension piece for these to make them taller (seen here)

In order of appearance (my opinion, best to worst) Acerbis, KTM, Powermadd.

In order of price (cheapest to most expensive) KTM, Powermadd, Acerbis.

For those that have had these, how do they do at blocking wind. I plan to basically ride in any and all temperatures, as long as there isn't snow on the road at the time, or in the previous couple weeks (all the cinders and salt they put on the roads makes them too unsafe for me to risk it).

The second part of my setup - Heated Grips

I want something that works well, has variable heat, and will last.

Again I have it narrowed down to the following parts.

Oxford Grip Heaters

Symtec Heated Grips

Heat Troller Grip Kit -Mounted (Looks like Symtec heating elements with a heat troller)

In order of price (cheapest to most expensive) - Sumtec, Oxford, Heat Troller

I will be adding a heat troller (or two) for heated gear so I like that it would match, but other than that I don't have any opinions, that is why I'm asking you guys.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 12:16 PM

I have the powermadds and they look and work fine. I used oxford hot hands heated grips but found that on rides below about 40 degrees for more than 20 minutes were nearly unbearable as my palms would be warm but my thumbs and finger tips would still get cold and numb even with my winter riding gloves. Since I ride year round I went ahead and got heated gloves (gerbing) and never looked back. I'm not a fan of the wiring and plugging in and out but it sure beats suffering like I did last winter. Your hands may not be as cold susceptible as mine so you might be ok with the grips. I now know why so many folks swear by heated gear.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Good to know. Actually my hands, or more specifically my left thumb, is very susceptible to cold. I suffered an injury to it last fall (got it caught between a jack handle and a bumper, nearly cut it off), and it gets cold and painful very fast. Because of that I am looking at getting both grips and gloves. Grips for when you are out riding and it gets cold in the spring/fall , and gloves for the colder days of winter.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 07:11 PM

I have the KTM handguards and Symtec grips. I've been using heated grips for over 25 years, and have found 2 heat choices to be adequate (in addition to off). I like the looks of the KTM handguards best, and the price is very good. I've had many people ask if he handguards are OEM. I think they just look right on the Versys. Obviously, appearance is a personal thing. I got my Versys in November, immediately put on the handguards and heated grips, and rode all winter. These are the best heated grips I've had and the handguards work better than I expected based on appearance. I'm very please with my choices.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 07:24 PM

I like the KTM handguards best, not just for look, they actually offer more coverage than many of the other options because of the design and the way they mount. Heated grips are nice, but as it gets really cold, you will need those heated gloves.

I'd say skip the Heat Troller for the heated grips, the two position switch is fine enough control. Get a pair of heated grips (and a jacket liner, keeping your core warm helps a lot) with a Heat Troller and you are set for winter riding.

If you look at the Warm and Safe options, a Gen 2 liner is better for changing weather, as it breathes really well. A Gen 3 liner will be warmer when it's really cold, but it's like wearing a fleece jacket, so if you are riding in changing weather, it may feel a bit too warm.

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 03:33 AM

For warm hands all round heated gloves are the best, but can be fiddly to use, and you are limited to one set of winter gloves, so I prefer heated grips so I can choose which pair I want.

I've had Symtecs on my last 7 bikes and really rate them. Easy to fit, reliable and the two heat settings work well as already mentioned. I don't like the clunky Oxford control box, and the Symtec switch fits really neatly in the Versys dash.

I also don't like the increased diameter of the Oxford grips, nor the feel of the harder rubber of their grips which also passes through more vibes on singles and twins. That the Symtecs are the cheapest is just a bonus as I'd still buy them anyway

This is much neater -

..... than this -

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 02:24 PM

I have the KTM handguards (work great) and have the oxford heaterz on order right now. From what I read you get more heat to your hands using a heated grip rather than wrapping the element around your bare handlebar. With a heated grip you are providing a layer of 'insulation' between grip and handlebar. I like having the adjustability of 4 levels of heat also.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Well I'm going to a local KTM dealer on Tuesday (they called, and want to look at buying my used Ninja 250). I will see what they are through them. I can get them online with the discount for $48.65.

Also I'm leaning towards the Symtecs. I can get them for $36.44 with the discount.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 10:45 AM

What, no Zeta carbon fiber love?

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Hadn't seen those. They look nice that's for sure, but how well do they block air? I'm almost afraid to check the price.

Edit: Just checked. Yikes!!! Also you should have gotten the smoke flashers, would have blended into the guard better when not in use.

Last edited by camaroz1985; 04-12-2010 at 11:05 AM.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 12:21 PM

They work well enough for me, I'm not a big cold weather riding fan. I like the amber signal covers.. they stand out more.

Yes, they're pricey..
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Yeah think I am going to stay with a cheaper alternative. Very nice looking though, but then again, everything I've seen put on your bike is.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 02:17 PM

Don't blame you one bit.. I'm break'n the bank!

Thanks bro.. good luck.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 05:37 PM

I have these and I rather like them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=35591
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

My roommate has those on his WR400. I need to ride that and see how they are.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 11:45 AM

fwiw I have KTM handguards... work fine. there is a slight problem fitting them to 2009 models due to changes in the front master brake cylinder

Historically I've used and recommended Oxfords. however their heat controller has lots and lots of problems. the grips are fine, but the controllers are very prone to problems.. so if you do buy Oxfords make certain you keep your receipt handy to return them, Theres no problem in returning them providign you have that receipt.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

What is the fix for the master cylinder problem, just some trimming, or rotating?
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 12:31 PM

I use a Heat Troller with Oxford grips. Works well. The Heat Troller has no resistor to build up heat and is supposed to be more efficient, not wasting power at less than full power settings.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroz1985 View Post
What is the fix for the master cylinder problem, just some trimming, or rotating?
Wow those carbon Zeta's look badass!

I just fitted the KTM enduro handguards on this evening. You do have to rotate the tube coming from the master cylinder... it literally took a few seconds. The handguards look awesome. How are you supposed to route the cables under or over the handguards? I routed the electrical control cables under and the clutch/brake cables over; it just made sense to me that way.

here are some pics.

Last edited by flipexed; 04-20-2010 at 01:45 AM.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipexed View Post
Wow those carbon Zeta's look badass!

I just fitted the KTM enduro handguards on this evening. You do have to rotate the tube coming from the master cylinder... it literally took a few seconds. The handguards look awesome. How are you supposed to route the cables under or over the handguards? I routed the electrical control cables under and the clutch/brake cables over; it just made sense to me that way.
How have you fixed these at the end of the bars? Do you have a photo? I like the idea of the KTM handguards, but have seen some less than aesthetically pleasing results at the handlebar end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode