Driving Lights - Installation and Wiring Tips - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to 08 Versys Send a message via Yahoo to 08 Versys
Driving Lights - Installation and Wiring Tips

OK, I've had a bunch of questions about my driving lights so I'll start a post, and get more detailed pictures and specifics on bolt length, size, etc. when I have time.

I picked up these oval shaped 55W driving lights at Wal-Mart in the automotive section. They were either $15 or $20, I don't remember. After taking them out of the box and trying to figure out a way to mount them, I decided to remove the mounting brackets they came with, and rig up my own way to mount them. The lights have a "tube" of sorts molded in their bottom edge that a bolt went through for the stock mount brackets. Looking for mounting locations on the Versys I decided there was really only one place I saw that could easily be adapted for mounting the lights and look like I wanted.

I ended up getting some longer bolts (same threads as the stock fairing mount bolt) to mount through the lights and into the stock fairing bolt location. This also required the use of a spacer to keep the light housing away from the fairing, and a few washers between the fairing and spacer. Here is what I ended up using.

Longer bolt with flat washer, this is inserted into the "tube" in the bottom of the light housing. Next, the spacer goes on to the bolt, followed by a nut that came off of part of the driving light mounts. I spun the nut onto the bolt and semi-tight against the spacer. Next on went three flat washers, followed by the stock plastic washer from the original fairing mount bolt.

Maybe this picture will clear up some of the mud.

OK, on to the wiring portion.

I did not want to use a conventional on/off switch. I wanted to have my lights come on and go off without having to remember to turn them on or off. I picked up a 30 AMP Bosch style relay from the local auto parts store, and used it to trigger my driving lights to come on and off with my low beam headlight. You could also just as easily have them triggered to come on with your high beam or any other source that can provide switched 12V power.

I hard wired the main power wire directly to the battery. This wire runs from the battery, through an inline fuse, up towards the front of the bike. I ran this wire on the left side of the bike, and followed some existing wiring that runs along the bottom edge of the gas tank and through the front forks. I covered the wiring in small automotive wire loom to make it have more of a factory appearance. The main power wire then runs up into the area behind the left side fairing, and just to the left and back of the headlight. In that area is a factory flasher? that is mounted on a rubber isolated mount. I chose to mount my new relay to that flasher using a couple of ZIP ties.

The main power wire running from the Motorcycle Battery gets connected to blade 30 of the new Bosch relay. Blade 86 of the relay needs to be connected to a good ground. The hot wires on the new driving lights will need to be connected together, and run to blade 87 of the relay. Blade 85 of the relay is what gets connected to your trigger source. I chose to have my driving lights come on whenever my low beams come on, so I tapped the hot wire of the stock low beam wiring and used that as my trigger. NOTE: There is no load on the trigger source wiring at all, it merely serves as a trigger to the relay. Whenever the relay sees 12V from the low beam wire on blade 85, it internally allows the power that is applied at blade 30 to pass through to blade 87. Here is a picture for the visual learners.

Oh yeah, I also chose to drill a hole in each fairing the same size as my wire loom, and run the wiring for the driving lights through the loom and through the hole. Looks neater that way IMHO.

OK, now that I have that all typed up, I'll get better pics and part descriptions later. Hope this helps anyone wanting to mount some extra lights!

Hear my custom exhaust, I am selling these for $135 complete including shipping!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

See my Driving Light Installation Tips

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 08 Versys; 07-22-2008 at 08:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 07:27 AM

Looks very nice. You do a good job of explaining your projects. Keep em' coming.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 07:58 AM

Thanks for the info 08 Versys. I'm going to be a copy cat and do this for myself as well. One question though, when you have to take the fairings off for maintenance, how do you deal with the light wires going through the fairing? It looks best the way you did it, but I would expect the fairings to end up hanging by the light wires if you need to take them off for any reason. What has your experience been with this?

Last edited by Dorian; 07-13-2008 at 08:01 AM.

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
Thanks for the info 08 Versys. I'm going to be a copy cat and do this for myself as well. One question though, when you have to take the fairings off for maintenance, how do you deal with the light wires going through the fairing? It looks best the way you did it, but I would expect the fairings to end up hanging by the light wires if you need to take them off for any reason. What has your experience been with this?
Ahh, I knew I would forget something.

The loom only goes through the fairing about an inch, and the light wires go through the loom a little farther. I install the fairing with only the loom sticking through (this short piece of loom always stays on the fairing), and when I bolt the light on, I poke the wires through the loom, through the back side of the fairing, and plug them into the light harness. There are bullet style connectors (male and female) that come already installed on the lights and light harness, so it's easy to plug and unplug them.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 10:38 AM

Current draw?

Just curious. I do a fair amount of night driving as well, and driving lights would be a great addition. On my previous bike, any mods to the electrical system even so much as a headlight swap from 60/55 watt headlight H4 to a 100/80 watt caused the battery to run dead after only a short time. Had to stay stock. Are there any issues with the system drain on this bikes charging system such as drained battery or undue strain which "fries" anything electrical? I'm very nervous of adding anything not stock but would really like a pair. I have seen a very low profile set of PIAA driving/fog combo lights which are only about 1 1/4 inch high by 4 1/14 inches with high intensity LED's(8) in each which would look great mounted to the front. They are supposed to be the equivalent of 37.5 watt bulbs each, with only 10 watt or less draw.
Your system looks great and I imagine work very well, but I'm nervous of the short/long term effects on the charging system. Thanks
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Here are the alternator and battery specs for the Versys. (I got these from another post.)

Alternator: 8A / 14V @ 4 000 rpm
336 watts total

The bike uses about 130 watts to run. That leaves an extra 200+ watts.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 01:22 PM

I'm curious about the aiming of the lights. From your description, up and down are easily achieved by loosening the mounting bolts. As currently mounted, do the lights have a good side to side aim; i.e. point straight ahead and not off set to one side or the other?

Lest I forget, nice job and excellent write-up. If you plan on any further electrical upgrades, you might consider installing a remote fuse-block. It will make adding circuits much easier.

TIA,

Red

Last edited by Red Alert; 07-13-2008 at 01:25 PM.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Alert View Post
...do the lights have a good side to side aim; i.e. point straight ahead and not off set to one side or the other?...
Thanks Red. Yes they are aimed pretty much straight ahead. I thought about adding an aux fuse/relay block for future items, I very well may do that later.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 08:05 AM

Great information and description

I guess I will be a copy cat also! Thanks for the info
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 10:59 AM

Thanks for the informative descriptions and photos. Looks like there will be a few more Versyses(s)? on the road with driving lights soon
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 05:23 AM

Just did the Driving Lights mod yesterday. Man are those lights bright!!! The directions you posted were great except when it came to figuring out which wire from the head light was the hot. Since the first shot didn't work I got it right on the second try

post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
Just did the Driving Lights mod yesterday. Man are those lights bright!!! The directions you posted were great except when it came to figuring out which wire from the head light was the hot. Since the first shot didn't work I got it right on the second try
Excellent!

I guess I was leaving it up to the individual to determine what they were going to trigger off of.

If you are going to use either the low or high beam as a trigger here's a tip. Look at the wiring that plugs in to both headlights. On both light harnesses there will be wires that are the same color. DO NOT hook your trigger wire to those wires. That is the ground wire for the lights. Hook it to the opposing wire on either harness depending on which light you want to trigger the driving lights with.

Hear my custom exhaust, I am selling these for $135 complete including shipping!

See my Driving Light Installation Tips

post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 08:16 PM

I also did this mod, you can't beat the Walmart price. I found the right length bolts at the local bicycle shop, they are a common steering stem dimension. I seperately swithched the lights so I have lots of options. These inexpensive lights really add to the overall brightness, a great addition, thanks for the tips.

Regards,
Wardo

2008 Kawasaki Versys
2008 Vespa GT 200
2001 Honda Elite 80 (daughters scooter)
2006 Yamaha YZ 155- Playbike
2006 Yamaha YZ 285- (plated) race bike
2006 Yamaha YZ 450F - my dez bike (lives in Vegas)
2008 Gas Gas 250 Raga Replica
2004 Honda CRF 150F (daughters bike)
2006 BMW 1150 GS Adventure (sold)
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 07:09 AM
Bob

Nice!

I've been wondering about something like this since I saw some my buddy was adding to his R1200c BMW cruiser.

That looks great. Nice job there v08.

08' Diablo Black Kawasaki Verys
98' 3.0L V6 Colt Rodeo D/C (Engine rebuilt, Body lift, Monroe Shocks, 32" Wrangler MTR's, GME GX300)

Work hard, play harder. --Bob
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 02:37 PM

I also went with the Wal-mart ones but mounted them at the bottom of the forks. These are bright and light up the night very well. Check my gallery for photo's.
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 07:32 AM

Versys08, thanks for the installation tips. I bought 2 Optilux sets (20 bucks each), one driving and one fog. I installed the driving set at the same location and the fog set on the fork where the reflectors were. I hooked up the driving set to the high beam and the fog set to the low beam with a switch on the instruments panel. I had to make custom brackets to install the Optilux as the attachement is different than the Walmart set. See pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Moto - 23.jpg (61.3 KB, 1184 views)
File Type: jpg Moto - 22.jpg (50.4 KB, 1138 views)
File Type: jpg Moto - 19.jpg (36.8 KB, 997 views)
File Type: jpg Moto - 17.jpg (57.2 KB, 1372 views)

Last edited by FouDuFafa; 08-25-2008 at 07:24 AM.
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 11:16 AM

Becareful with 6 lights (4 is max) on the front of anything. In Kentucky, I believe it is illegal. Marker lights are fine but when your blasting that much light down the highway you might be in for a traffic stop. Which set throws the widest beam? Upper or Lower set?

Here's the KRS: 189.040 Front lights -- Flashing lights.
(1) Every motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle, shall be equipped with at least two (2) head lamps with at least one (1) on each side of the front of the motor vehicle, which head lamps shall comply with the requirements and limitations set forth in this section.
B](2) Every motorcycle, moped, and every motor-driven cycle shall be equipped with at least one (1) and not more than two (2) head lamps which shall comply with the requirements and limitations of this section.[/B

Last edited by reedster1200; 08-24-2008 at 11:35 AM.
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 07:25 AM

Mmmm...6 is illegal! Never thought of that. Good thing I installed a switch on the fog lights
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 03:11 PM

Hi Guys, Can any body help me !!!!!!! I Love this Light installation but here in England can't find any with the same mounting points like the ones used above (oval shaped 55W driving lights available at Wal-Mart) Could anyone please send me a set and of course I would cover any costs (paypal ect) Or if you wanted anything from this side of the pond I would do my best to get it to you.

Silverman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode