BMW seat on a Versys - Take 3 - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
BMW seat on a Versys - Take 3

I have to give credit to Golfmuch for the original idea, and Austin City Limits for further design approaches. "I stand on the shoulders of giants."

Like ACL, I didn't want to cut my stock seat in half, and I also rarely carry a passenger and I use a seat bag, so I also wanted to build a "luggage platform".

I didn't really want to use the plywood/vinyl approach of ACL, but otherwide I used his ideas. I wanted to work in a lightweight, waterproof and sturdy medium for my luggage platform. I chose to work with black plastic cutting boards (as used in the kitchen) in place of plywood.

The cutting boards are a mottled black finish, not totally unlike the black plastic tail section of the Versys. They are 3/8" thick and are relatively easy to cut, drill and sand.

I also didn't want to remove and use the stock seat hardware as ACL did, since I wanted to be able to remount the stock seat any time I wished. The seat hardware pieces are not available from Kawasaki without purchasing the entire seat! So I made my own hardware.

The seat:

I got a BMW R1150RT "Comfort" seat (thicker and wider than the "Normal" seat) on ebay. I also wanted to avoid cutting the BMW seat in any way that would make it unusable on a BMW in the future. This means my seat sits about 1-1 1/2 inches higher than when you cut off the BMW mounting "cups". I added a front tab that slides into the Versys front seat mount, and 2 front "feet" on the bottom of the BMW cups. I also added a rear mount (aluminum strap with a hole in it) to secure the rear of the seat. The seat sits on the front Versys mount, my 2 added front rubber feet and the 2 rear BMW feet. It is all located and secured by the rear mount.

The rear seat mount is attached to a 6mm stud that a installed in place of the screw that holds the Versys "tool strap catch". The stud had to be bent to achieve a semblance of vertical.

I place the seat on the bike, slide it forward to engage the front mount, and slip the rear mount over the stud and tighten down a wingnut that holds the seat in place. Easy to take off and on, and the stock seat can also be easily installed.

The tail section:

I built a "structural plate" which latches to the stock seat mounts on the frame. It inserts into, and sits on, the seat mid-mounts and latches into the normal seat latch. It sits on 2 rubber feet in the middle area, and sits on the rear frame member like the stock seat. So, it carries its load at 5 points.

On top of this I added the luggage plate. It is meant to be seen, so had to be made with more care. It attaches to the structural plate with 4 nuts and bolts. To top it off, I add my homemade seat bag, which I made from a $15 piece of Kmart soft luggage (I've been using these for years).

Passenger seat:

One of the main reasons for this project, was that my wife hated the Versys passenger seat. While she may only ride with me a few times a year, we do go on multi-thousand mile trips occasionally. I got my Versys in November, and we have yet to ride it very far 2up yet.

I saw an ad for the Butty Buddy on this website and decided it would make a good bolt-on, comfortable, passenger seat. I found one on craigslist for $20 plus shipping (normally $150!). I devised the appropriate way to mount it to my structural plate (4 bolts), and now we have it all! It takes about 5 minutes to switch from the BB to the luggage plate.

How does it ride? I love it! So far my longest ride was 2+ hours non-stop and I didn't notice the seat at all (other than how comfortable I was). I have an incredible amount of legroom; more than my KLR650 (I have Speedy Lowering Blocks, too). I thought I might continue to use the stock seat for short runs, but the difference in comfort is so great, that I can't bring myself to use the stock seat.

My wife and I took a 1+ hour ride 2up and she declared the BB comfortable.

Sorry for the long story, but this was pretty involved.

Michael
Lakeport CA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2500.JPG (420.9 KB, 711 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2494.JPG (412.2 KB, 495 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1308.JPG (637.4 KB, 568 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2508.JPG (466.4 KB, 402 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2509.JPG (423.2 KB, 387 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2503.JPG (392.4 KB, 396 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1316.JPG (961.1 KB, 365 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 03:39 PM

Michael,

Superb work my friend. If you want to make a few bucks on the side, I'll take one just like yours.

And I'm not kidding either...

Congrats on a fantastic job.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 03:48 PM

Very nice work. Looks almost factory with the tailbag on there.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 08:26 AM

Thanks for the "Tip of the cap"!!! I knew something was going on with BMW seats as I was asked to Bump my post so 2 guys could find it on here... So,,, i went looking and found yours...

Yours looks GREAT!!!

I was going to use a Black Cutting board from IKEA as my final Production model but,,, after I got done with my test Mule,,, and it was 99.2% completely covered up,,, decided why bother???

My seat sets a good 1/1/2 inches higher than stock,,, yours must be at least 3 inches???
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin city limits View Post
My seat sets a good 1 1/2 inches higher than stock, yours must be at least 3 inches???
By my unsophisticated measuring technique, mine is only about 1 1/2 to 2 inches taller than stock.

I think mine is maybe an inch (or more?) higher in the front than yours, but only about 1/2 higher in the back (I didn't notch the rear feet). But it is so much wider (than stock) everywhere that it makes for a much longer reach to the ground.

I can now dangle my legs while I ride, which is something I can't do on my KLR650, which by measurement has a taller seat but is much narrower and has a much softer suspension, so the laden height is reduced.

By the way, I have many additional pictures of how mine is constructed and would be willing to share them, and any advice, with anyone wanting to try this at home.

Michael
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 12:20 AM
Que

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael95453 View Post
By my unsophisticated measuring technique, mine is only about 1 1/2 to 2 inches taller than stock.

I think mine is maybe an inch (or more?) higher in the front than yours, but only about 1/2 higher in the back (I didn't notch the rear feet). But it is so much wider (than stock) everywhere that it makes for a much longer reach to the ground.

I can now dangle my legs while I ride, which is something I can't do on my KLR650, which by measurement has a taller seat but is much narrower and has a much softer suspension, so the laden height is reduced.

By the way, I have many additional pictures of how mine is constructed and would be willing to share them, and any advice, with anyone wanting to try this at home.

Michael
If you have the time I would love the pic of how you constructed yours, I wanted to do something about the seat on mine as I find it is not all that comfortable on long rides for me a near 300 lbs 6'1 rider.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que View Post
If you have the time I would love the pic of how you constructed yours, I wanted to do something about the seat on mine as I find it is not all that comfortable on long rides for me a near 300 lbs 6'1 rider.
I'm adding a few more pictures showing my seat mounts. As far as the rear seat goes, Golfmuch's solution of cutting the back off the stock seat is the simplest way to go. Building the rear platform is kind of a do-it-yourself one-off deal.

Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2504.JPG (409.7 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2506.JPG (366.4 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2505.JPG (411.1 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2507.JPG (374.0 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2502.JPG (370.4 KB, 171 views)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 04:09 PM

BMW seat

I'm in the process of installing mine now. Initial "sit" test shows it's WAY more comfortable than the OEM "Marquis de Sade" version.

Where did you get the rubber bumper-like feet you used on the BMW seat-cups on the front of the seat ? Hopefully someplace like Home Depot where I can go pick a few up....

Thanx

Coop
CLE

Jdcooperclan at wowway dot com if you're into email.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know how I missed this the first time around, but WOW!! Great job!! That actually doesn't look half bad!!

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
I don't know how I missed this the first time around, but WOW!! Great job!! That actually doesn't look half bad!!
Yea but what about the other half. kinda like a butter face girl ...... Everything looks good "but her face"

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdcooper View Post
Where did you get the rubber bumper-like feet you used on the BMW seat-cups on the front of the seat ? Hopefully someplace like Home Depot where I can go pick a few up....
I have no idea where those bumpers came from. Most of the parts in this project were made from stuff I have laying around. I save bits of metal, plastic and rubber, as well as old motorcycle parts, that I use for projects like this.

I'm sure you can find something at Home Depot that can be made to work.

I've lived with this seat for 7 months and about 8,000 miles. I still say it is now the most comfortable motorcycle I've owned (in 45 years).
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 04:37 AM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode