Vista cruise with handguards installed - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Vista cruise with handguards installed

Finally I was able to install the vista cruise universal with the powermadd handguards installed. It took a little cutting and grinding of the vista handlebar bracket to attach it to the single screw hand guard bracket. I initially though about moving the controls half an inch in to accomodate the vista cruise bracket but with the hand guard bracket already in place it put the break lever almost out of reach. Here are some picts:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Question

Too bad you hadn't seen previous posts, using the upper allen head cap screw for the brake. I used a m6 X 40 and a stainless 1/4 airline quick connect, cut as a spacer.The support bracket ( cruise arm) is horizontal between the kill switch and start switch.The handle bar mounting bracket goes into spare parts storage.

Last edited by onewizard; 03-29-2010 at 09:39 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

I read the post. However, that does not work with the hand guards installed. The hand guards move the brakes a little over half an inch in and changes the angle making your install not possible. That is why i did my mod and posted the result. I wish it worked. It took me while to get my mod done.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

I guess I got lucky, as I installed the vista cruise lock first, then started looking for hand guards, I really like the throttle lock and moving the brake wasn't a option. I found a universal mount hand guard that fits on the end of the bar weight and also has a mount on the angled part of the bar, by the plastic support for the cables. The upside is that the mirror vibration is reduced as the hand guards help stiffen the handlebar.I am going to try and figure out how to post some pictures. probably would be easier than what I just did.

Finally got around to taking pictures

Kawasaki Versys Vista cruise throttle lock & hand guards 001.jpg

Kawasaki Versys Vista cruise throttle lock & hand guards 002.jpg

Kawasaki Versys Vista cruise throttle lock & hand guards 003.jpg

Kawasaki Versys Vista cruise throttle lock & hand guards 004.jpg

Kawasaki Versys Vista cruise throttle lock & hand guards 005.jpg

Kawasaki Versys Vista cruise throttle lock & hand guards 006.jpg

Kawasaki Versys Vista cruise throttle lock & hand guards 007.jpg

clearance at full lock, same on both sides

Last edited by onewizard; 05-02-2010 at 12:28 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

I sure underestimated how often I would use this, at least once every ride! Very simple and the price was right too!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Here's some pics of my install with Zeta handguards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01195.JPG (632.7 KB, 444 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01196.jpg (192.2 KB, 369 views)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Here's some pics of my install with Zeta handguards.
Another great idea, using the original Vista Cruise bracket to fasten to the brake reservoir.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 09:02 PM

I would like to try the reservoir mount. Is there a certain model Vista that I need to purchase?

TIA
Bob

Ride em if ya got em!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner View Post
I would like to try the reservoir mount. Is there a certain model Vista that I need to purchase?

TIA
Bob
Are you talking about the vacuum cruise control? Or are you refering to what I have on my bike, I used a M6 x 400mm stainless allen head cap screw and a stainless 1/4 MPT to 1/4 airline quick connect and cut it back to fit as a spacer, cut 1/2 of the threaded portion off and ran a M6 drill bit through.As to the Cruise control, I think it
is a universal Vista Cruise, to fit 1 inch handlebars.I think a M6 X 500mm would be perfect, and you wouldn't need to cut the spacer back.I was given a 300mm and 400mm M6, which was the longest my free source had, a 500mm would have been better, however I would have needed to buy 10 of them to get one, from my local fastener specialty store.

Kawasaki Universal Vista Cruise 004.jpg

Kawasaki Universal Vista Cruise 001.jpg

Kawasaki Universal Vista Cruise 002.jpg

The part on the left is what comes with the kit and I didn't use, on the right is the stainless quick connect.
Kawasaki Universal Vista Cruise 003.jpg

quick connect with a M6 X 300 mm bolt

Last edited by onewizard; 05-03-2010 at 09:48 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 09:10 AM

No I was not. I was referring to the ones pictured here in previous posts. BUT I would like to hear more about a real cruise control if you have a link.

Thanks,
: )

Ride em if ya got em!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Mine is the "Vista Cruise Universal" - it's a throttle 'lock', not true cruise control. But, it sure helps!!!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

https://www.murphskits.com/catalog/login.php Be aware that they have stopped making these kits, if you search the forum using Audiovox CCS-100 Cruise Control , you should find more information. Murph's bought up the remaining kits back in December, and from what I can tell by going onto his site, he may not have anymore.
This is a true cruise control designed for a car, there is what I would call a considerable amount of work to install one, and when the parts fail you are out of luck. Some waterproofing is involved, and when I totaled all the parts and the $50 shipping cost to Canada, it was close to $300 and two days of work. The Unversal throttle lock takes two seconds to engage, I can still turn the throttle when engaged, and 2 seconds to disengage. It took less than 1 hour to install and cost what I would have paid in shipping, for the CCS-100.Sure, when you go up a hill it will slow down, and when you go down a hill it will speed up, that is providing you locked it in on the level.You go over several bumps it will back off, IMO I love it and I can lock it in or out using a flick of my thumb, no need to even look.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 01:17 PM

Thanks
I am very familiar with the diiference between a throttle lock and cruise control. On this scoot I think I will go with the "Vista Cruise Universal".

I have had the brakeaway locks on previous rides. IMHO they are the best. BUT not for this application.

Thanks again.

Bob

Ride em if ya got em!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 05:23 PM

Tinner, here are pics of my Vista I had installed. I say "had" as I've removed it and installed the Audiovox CCS-100 cruise control.

I used a different model of Vista Cruise that is much more sanitary looking of an install. This model is for Honda/Yamaha.
It only requires filing off a ridge around the throttle tube and drilling and tapping a hole for a stainless socket head cap screw on the back side to keep the throttle lock from turning.

Here is how it is held from turning on the back side.

Kansas - Eleven curves in three hundred eighteen miles...

2008 Versys, SOLD!

2002 BMW R1150RT Lovin it!!!

Last edited by bscott; 05-03-2010 at 05:26 PM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 08:10 PM

bscott that does have a nice clean look thanks.

Thanks everyone! I will look them over tonight and get something ordered.

Ride em if ya got em!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode