Barend question - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Barend question

I need to shorten the length, end to end, of the handlebar assembly and it can be done by getting rid of those gawd-awful barends that are as long as pinnochio's nose! Need it all shorter for constant lane-splitting!

Any advice on ditching the barends or getting them much smaller? Anyone know what metric size and length is the fitting? How about a handguard recommendation that does NOT need a barend also?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

Lane splitting is illegal in Texas, you know...

As far as the bar ends go, you can remove them altogether, if you want, but they do dampen the vibrations to your hands. Now the Versys has a fairly smooth motor, so you may not even notice them gone. If you take them off & feel you want them back, there are a couple of things you can do.

One is to actually use a hacksaw & cut the ends of the handle bars themselves. A lot of dirt bikers do this, especially for deep woods riding.

Second, there are quiet a few different after market bar end weights available in many different sizes.

And third, you can actually replace the handle bars with thinner ones. One of the guys on one of the Versys forums I visit, actually used ATV handle bars & love them.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice...any idea on the metric size for the stock barend bolts? I will be ordering them with everything else to install over Christmas when the biek comes in, so need to buy the right thing, the first time.

Yeah, I've received only 3 lanesplitting tickets in my lifetime...good thing the bike is being shipped down to me in Colombia, where lanesplitting is just the way you drive! I would say I split an average of 2 miles of traffic a day!!!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 09:50 PM

I put on a set from my old ZRX...they are smaller.

Graham

To do is to be. -Descartes
To be is to do. -Voltaire
Do be do be do. -Frank Sinatra

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

States I've ridden in so far

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Good idea and nice, just don't have any spare Kawy barends sitting around. Really interested in handguards that just run a bolt and little to no barend but not sure which ones will work. Been looking at this series, either the first ones or the last ones with the flashers:

http://www.zeta-racing.com/controls/...tml#anchor-xcf

Anyone explain to me the replacement bar end adapter on the last ones with the flashers? Will they mount flush to the grips like the first ones or be mounted away from the grip spaced by the silver piece?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 12:59 AM

The Acerbis handguards will bolt right up. In this application there is a rubber insert that is provided with the kit and makes installation a snap. The barends are discarded completely. You can find them at www.motosport.com, just search acerbis.

Japanese scientists have created a camera with such a fast shutter speed they now can photograph a woman with her mouth shut.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 03:12 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtexas1974 View Post
Good idea and nice, just don't have any spare Kawy barends sitting around. Really interested in handguards that just run a bolt and little to no barend but not sure which ones will work. Been looking at this series, either the first ones or the last ones with the flashers:

http://www.zeta-racing.com/controls/...tml#anchor-xcf

Anyone explain to me the replacement bar end adapter on the last ones with the flashers? Will they mount flush to the grips like the first ones or be mounted away from the grip spaced by the silver piece?
I think you mean the expandable insert that goes in the handlebar end to secure the handguard.
I installed the Zeta bend-type handguards without bar end weights because they are not needed with my tapered aluminum handlebars which cancel out most vibrations.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 07:49 AM

Invader, what model tapered handlebars did u fit? I would really prefer not to have to machine the clamps. I've seen the 7/8 fat bars, just wonder if they absorb as much vibration as the originals.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicyclebob View Post
The Acerbis handguards will bolt right up. In this application there is a rubber insert that is provided with the kit and makes installation a snap. The barends are discarded completely. You can find them at www.motosport.com, just search acerbis.
In all Acerbis kits or a certain one?

Graham

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 07:25 PM

All of the Rally Pro kits have them. Here is the link http://www.acerbis.com/p106_handguard/1325.html. I use them on my WR450 they come with the clamps for 7/8's bars, if you use fat bars then you wiil need to buy the fat bar kit.

Japanese scientists have created a camera with such a fast shutter speed they now can photograph a woman with her mouth shut.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 09:14 PM

Thanks!

Graham

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StonedGP View Post
Invader, what model tapered handlebars did u fit? I would really prefer not to have to machine the clamps. I've seen the 7/8 fat bars, just wonder if they absorb as much vibration as the originals.
1-1/8" tapered aluminum handlebars are even better than 7/8" aluminum bars at absorbing all vibrations. I have a Tag Metals T2 1019 SZ High (104 mm, 57 mm sweep) tapered bar mounted with a Moose Racing 30 mm (1.2") riser/adapter. It can be installed easily with Rox adjutsable pivoting riser/adapter in the stock handlebar clamp without machining anything. Available with 2" rise, you could use a lower handlebar to retain original height: CR Hi (95 mm (3.74") rise/62 sweep) or RM Hi (95 mm (3.74") rise/52 mm sweep.

http://www.roxspeedfx.com/cgi-bin/ca...?subcat_id=268

http://www.tagmetals.cc/mx/productdetails.php?id=t2bats
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rox.jpg (27.8 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by invader; 07-17-2012 at 04:26 AM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtexas1974 View Post
I need to shorten the length, end to end, of the handlebar assembly and it can be done by getting rid of those gawd-awful barends that are as long as pinnochio's nose!
I haven't verified it with a straight-edge, but I think the extra length of those weights helps to keep the side cowlings from touching if your bike drops.

From personal experience, I know the cowlings didn't touch when I had a zero speed drop. Also, the bar ends have a rubber damper between them and the handlebar. I'm betting this helps with handlebar vibration as well as adding cushioning during impacts.

Personally, I'm worried about losing them to install handguards... I think the levers will gain protection, but I'll have more cowling damage afterwards.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
I put on a set from my old ZRX...they are smaller.

Hey Hooligan, how do you like those grips? I have been thinking about getting some.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar.45 View Post
Hey Hooligan, how do you like those grips? I have been thinking about getting some.
I love em'...I have had them on several bikes.

Graham

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode