Panniers again curved vs flat - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Panniers again curved vs flat

Hi,

i have a question about pannier racks.
I have a 2011, it seems that pannier racks for v before 2010 do not fit on my bike.
I can buy a Original pannier rack for the givi cases V35 but i know these are curved, have anyone attached flat panniers (like the givi e21) on the Original rack or do i need to buy a flat rack to attached anything else beside the v35's?

Thanks in advance

ps: the cheaper the better, money is an issue :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 01:31 PM

I don't know flat vs curved but Shad still has the $399 deal on the racks and a pair of SH42 cases (http://www.shadonline.com/SHAD-SH-42...t-k0vr60sf.htm). I like this setup a lot on my bike.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

They look nice and affordable, but i live in Belgium and i think that the shipping cost will be hell

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 02:37 PM

I've always wondered if it would be possible to make an add-on bracket that would allow flat cases to work with the curved racks. Thoughts?

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredje View Post
They look nice and affordable, but i live in Belgium and i think that the shipping cost will be hell
I don't know about that. Mine came from Spain to the USA. That seems more expensive than from Spain to Belgium.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 03:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylander View Post
I don't know flat vs curved but Shad still has the $399 deal on the racks and a pair of SH42 cases (http://www.shadonline.com/SHAD-SH-42...t-k0vr60sf.htm). I like this setup a lot on my bike.
That's a great deal. If I was in nead, that's what I would get.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 03:28 PM

The only boxes that fit the curved (either GIVI or factory) racks are the Givi V35 or factory boxes.
I don't think there is an adapter or anything like that. This is one of the reasons I chose the flat racks and not the factory racks, there are a lot more box choices for the flat racks.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 05:32 PM

True the V35 fit the curved bracket and only those. There are flat bracket form SMotect that should fit your bike and then you can mount a flat back box without a problem. I had thought about buying both so I could have the pretty V35 on most of the time and a set of Pelicans for the dirty work! Here a picture and link for you to look at. TT may not be where you are at but I bet someone sells these there.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-mo...7-10-evo-style

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 02-15-2015 at 05:35 PM.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 06:10 PM

I was going to make a "conversion spacer" to use with PLX racks that would accept the flat style panniers. It would be simple but i found some PL racks cheap enough to abandon the project. Take a look at this pic:

it was going to be a spacer bar attached to lower rail 1.75 inches thick and drilled to accept the Givi button mounting screws. it would have attached to the Givi rack at the same threaded points the regular buttons use but with screws 1.75 inches longer than normal.

I'm no diplomat

Last edited by aka Yamadog; 02-15-2015 at 06:14 PM.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I am on my second bike with the v35 bags. Had them on my '07 ninja, then moved them to the Versys. They will move to my next bike.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

Thx Guys for the replys.

But i can't convince the mss to spend +400$ for panniers i don't need the whole year arround, you know the drill :-(

The TT ones look very nice but way to expensive for me.

@aka Yamadog: thats the stuff that i'm looking for, an adapter of some sort so i can attach both, that would be great, but i wan't to know before i buy the rack if this is possible, and if anyone did this before.

The PL447 is cheap enough, i can find them second hand, but the problem is that they don't fit my bike(2011) thats a bummer, and a rack for my bike for flat panniers cost about 210 euro, this is way to mutch i think

I can buy original pannier rack for 60 euros second hand and 2 boxes Givi E21 for 100 euro, together its 160 euro, and thats a price i can explain at home.
The down side is that the cases don't fit the rack, so thats a little problem i have to solve before buying :-)

Last edited by Fredje; 02-16-2015 at 03:22 AM.
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 10:32 PM

maybe keep waiting until the racks or cases you want come up for sale used. They will eventually, you just have to be patient...

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 03:32 AM Thread Starter

I've been looking at 2nd hand pannier racks from august last year, and never there was a flat one. only the ones for v35 boxes.

So i'm giving up hope to find the correct ones 2nd hand. I'm going on a trip to UK in April so time is running out, if i don't find a solution by then, i will have to go and beg for the extra cash, and do the laundry, ironing, and vacuumcleaning for a year or so
i do want to avoid that.
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 07:51 AM

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/givi-...-versys-650-10

On sale here for $220

I'm no diplomat
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
I've been looking at 2nd hand pannier racks from august last year, and never there was a flat one. only the ones for v35 boxes.

So i'm giving up hope to find the correct ones 2nd hand. I'm going on a trip to UK in April so time is running out, if i don't find a solution by then, i will have to go and beg for the extra cash, and do the laundry, ironing, and vacuumcleaning for a year or so
i do want to avoid that.
You don't have to actually do that stuff for a year, you just have to say you will.
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
You don't have to actually do that stuff for a year, you just have to say you will.
clearly you don't know the mss
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylander View Post
I have the same set up. It is awesome!!! Cannot beat the price for the quality and cargo capacity that you get with this setup.

2013 Kawasaki Versys- Blue/Black
2014 Honda Grom- Red/Black
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 350 Blue/Black
2012 Kawasaki KLX250s Red/Black
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obijack View Post
I have the same set up. It is awesome!!! Cannot beat the price for the quality and cargo capacity that you get with this setup.
Yeah, I've really been getting my money's worth out of them. Just yesterday I added an SH45 top box on a kawi (givi) rack that I picked up on ebay.
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

Yesterday i went to a shop where they had a 2011 v35 pannier rack for sale 2nd hand.
i went to look to see that i could make an adapter for it. he also had a Versys 2014 with the bags standing in the shop, and what i saw freaked me out.
There is a lot of room between the rack and the side of the bike, useless space, making the bike with the panniers really wide.
Because i do a lot of city commuting the setup i had in mind with the Givi E21 can't be done, its just to wide to go in between the cars.
The before 2010 model had a way better rack then the after 2010.
I have found some pictures here on the forum where you can see the difference. thx to V-Coaster and ATYC

MK1

MK2

as you can see there is a big difference.

So next question

A rack(givi PL447) for a Versys mk1 can it be made so it will fit an MK2?
Or does anybody know the difference between the racks of an MK1 and 2?

Last edited by Fredje; 03-01-2015 at 03:15 AM.
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Yesterday i went to a shop where they had a 2011 v35 pannier rack for sale 2nd hand.
i went to look to see that i could make an adapter for it. he also had a Versys 2014 with the bags standing in the shop, and what i saw freaked me out.
There is a lot of room between the rack and the side of the bike, useless space, making the bike with the panniers really wide.
Because i do a lot of city commuting the setup i had in mind with the Givi E21 can't be done, its just to wide to go in between the cars.
The before 2010 model had a way better rack then the after 2010.
I have found some pictures here on the forum where you can see the difference. thx to V-Coaster and ATYC

MK1

MK2

as you can see there is a big difference.

So next question

A rack(givi PL447) for a Versys mk1 can it be made so it will fit an MK2?
Or does anybody know the difference between the racks of an MK1 and 2?

I don't think what you saw had to do with the year of the motorcycle, it had to do with the manufacturer of the rack system. I don't know who manufactured the rack in the top photo (you say Givi, I believe you) but I can tell you the bottom one is SWMotech and it looks exactly like the SWMotech rack on my 2009 Versys. Givi already makes racks for the gen2 Versys.

To be honest, if I had to squeeze between cars in traffic I would opt for a top box. I know a lot of people don't like the way they look but function over form would apply.

Also, when you compare, newer and older modiles of Versys, don't use the turn signal width as a comparison point. The turn signals on the older bikes are wider.

Last edited by ray h; 03-01-2015 at 07:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode