Crash Guards - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Crash Guards

Hello There

Finally, Riding Season just ahead, I am eager to get the break-in kilometers on my bike

I am looking for guidance on which Crash Guard to order I am torn between the Hepco-Becker and the SW-Motech any pro and cons you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 12:24 PM

I asked the same question and was told it's horses for courses. I went with the SW-Motech's as I think they look a bit neater on the bike. Also ordered their Quick Lock Evo Pannier frames at the same time. Everything was straightforward and easy to fit. No modifications needed.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 12:48 PM

I opted for the Hepco-Becker, many prefer these because they have a link across the top connecting the 2 sides. Not the greatest picture but you get the idea of how it looks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3748.jpg (436.1 KB, 340 views)

Toys : 2009 Versys ( Blue ), 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Needs : 2016 Mazda CX-5 ( RIP Mazda5 ), 2007 Honda Civic

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Looks Sweet - thank you for the quick response.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 01:31 PM

HB Bars

I like the looks of the HB bars better. I've seen a picture of a V dropped that had these bars and there was very little damage, none to the radiator.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01038.jpg (383.4 KB, 313 views)
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorvtguy View Post
I opted for the Hepco-Becker, many prefer these because they have a link across the top connecting the 2 sides. Not the greatest picture but you get the idea of how it looks.
Thank you - I didn't realize the SW ones didn't join up.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmac View Post
I like the looks of the HB bars better. I've seen a picture of a V dropped that had these bars and there was very little damage, none to the radiator.
I also prefer the look of the HB's - thank you for your feedback
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 01:53 PM

I didnít care for the way the HBs seem to connect to the plastic cover with a tiny bolt? Went with SWMs since all my bikes have used them in one way or another in the past and their fit and finish exceeds OEM spec in my opinion. I like they way the look and they protect the radiator AND the side cases. 90% of the drops or slow speed slides I have seen have taken out either a side case or shifter/brake lever. The SWMs look like they do a better job at protecting those items although proof would be in the crash.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 06:09 PM

H&B, crash tested-not just dropped, no damage to the bike other than a bent brake pedal.

Rubbed them down and re-painted with a Walmart rattle can good as new.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 10:52 PM

HB's also go on alot faster, less than an hour, very little removal of items to install.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 02:14 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Another HB.

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy49 View Post
HB's also go on alot faster, less than an hour, very little removal of items to install.
??? Took me less than a hour to fit the SW-Motech's and I removed nothing, so I'd say there's little in it on that score.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 04:57 AM

Had the Hepco and Becker bars Yep they are fine if all your planing on doing is dropping it on its side or sliding down the road ...on the other hand if those bars hit anything they bend rather spectacularly, in my case they bent back enough to puncture the radiator. (2 months off the road )

In my mind, you may not have the upper area coverage on the SW motechs but after seeing what Jdrocks bike has put through I'm going for those next time round.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 08:36 AM

does anyone seriously think the the SW Motech bars will do the job any significantly different way tot he H&B bars?

personally I prefer the cross bar on the H&B's.. it should help deflect some of the load, and it has on the 3 low/no speed drops I've had

what ever bar you use can only do so much.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 09:00 AM

Anyone have any pictures of a drop with the SW motechs installed. That picture of machog's is what sold me on the HB's.

Would be interesting to see what damage would have occureded in sambamboo's picture's without the HB's. I thinking more damage because the SW's don't cover that area.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambamboo View Post

Had the Hepco and Becker bars Yep they are fine if all your planing on doing is dropping it on its side or sliding down the road ...on the other hand if those bars hit anything they bend rather spectacularly, in my case they bent back enough to puncture the radiator. (2 months off the road )

In my mind, you may not have the upper area coverage on the SW motechs but after seeing what Jdrocks bike has put through I'm going for those next time round.

if you just twist the connecting piece to face sideways and it clear the radiator and also it draws better air flow- Stlee29 design.

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 09:14 AM

I believe the SW bars do a great job.

They mount solidly to 3 points. Two of which are the motor mounts. They have a great variety of places to mount highway pegs.

The HBN bars have only 2 mounting points (that I can see in pictures). One of the mounting points looks solid but the other looks like it is a small screw that mounts over a plastic frame cover. (Looks cheesy imo). The HB bars have a piece of flat bar to connect them at the top. Folks who dump their bike usually say the whole setup shifts and bends on impact.

Near as I can tell, SW motec guys never dump their bikes. At least we don't hear crash bar disfigurement stories from the SW Motec guys.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by healdem View Post
does anyone seriously think the the SW Motech bars will do the job any significantly different way tot he H&B bars?
Wouldn’t it have been cool if either company would have just made a set of bars with both upper and lower protection? Not sure why they didn’t. On the SWM bars the cross tube connection really wouldn’t make much of a difference. The bars are so stout and the tubing and attach points (thick material) so strong that if there was an impact so severe that it would cause that bar to bend you would have a ton of other issues to worry about.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S

Last edited by gti20vturbo; 03-24-2010 at 12:11 PM.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
if you just twist the connecting piece to face sideways and it clear the radiator and also it draws better air flow- Stlee29 design.
I think Invader did this DIY first.
Observed the original HB crossover limited the air flow when fixing it up.
Had other better things to do then. When had the time, made 8 pieces. Sold 4 and passed 2 to Fastoman and Myred.

"Any pictures of a drop with the SW motechs installed?" echoing Pmac's question.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 05:57 PM

Impact with the radiator was made by the flat connector piece welded to the top bar end, I'm doubting with the force of impact to the top of the bar that Stlee's modification would have made substantial difference. (It was on my list of things to do however as i think its a great idea)

Interestingly I was thinking of modifying them once i got them back from the repairer
and stick in a upper and lower brace ...but it was too far gone :/

this i think is the way to go with a modified SW motech bar (sorry for the picture hijack) get the best of both worlds and should be strong as an Ox

Last edited by sambamboo; 03-24-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode