e-ZPass mounted behind fairing? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
e-ZPass mounted behind fairing?

I've tried mounting my e-ZPass everywhere. On my last bike, I mounted to the windscreen. That worked pretty well. I've tried in my pocket, on my sleeve, in a tank bag. It's all very hit or miss. The only problem of mounting on the bike is that it can be stolen, unless you really bolt it down or remove it anytime you park. The fairing would solve this problem: it would be hidden from view and the fairing isn't even as dense as windshield glass. I've got a 50/50 feeling about it. So, I'm going to velcro it in and give it a test in the next week. So, I'm wondering if anyone else has tried mounting the transponder behind a front fairing? Any luck or opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 01:52 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to rponiarski
Yes, I mounted mine to the back of the Givi windscreen I have on my V. Crossing the Throgs Neck Bridge it decided to fall off! Figuring that stopping to try and pick it up would have been a very bad move, I went to the local EZ-Pass office and got a replacement.

What I use now is a Slipstreamer radar mount. I got it from Aerostitch/Riders Warehouse and bolted it to my handlebar. Attached the dual loc tapes to the mounting plate and use the rubber band as a safety measure. As it is on my left side, riding through a toll in the right car track gets the pass read almost every time. Highly recommended!

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys
AMA#: 674623
ROK #: 100024905
Everybody is entitled to the reality of their own choosing...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 02:06 PM

I carry my toll transponder in the breast pocket of my riding jacket. Can't forget it because I always ride with my jacket, and I don't have to worry about it falling off. Reads reliably.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
2003 ST1300ABS (SOLD 5/15)
IBA 59868

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 02:29 PM

Yeah, I have been curious about this one. I have an I-pass in my Saab that I was going to take with me to visit friends in Chicago. Only problem is, I will use it only once in a great while, so I would not like to permanently mount it on my bike. The official instructions is just to hold it up with your left hand as you are passing through (umm...what?!). Not sure what they smoked to come up with that idea.

There are a few handle bar mounts out there. And the tactic I have seen the most is to mount it where you want to try it, then ride through a toll booth and see if they wave you through. If they did, mission accomplished.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 02:31 PM

I mounted my EZ-Pass on the back of the GPS mounting screen, down low, in front of the windscreen. Can't be taken easily, works fine. Have to remove the windscreen to mount the EQ-Pass. I used black tiewraps to hold it in place.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 01:51 PM

I mounted mine in the same place. I'm thinking about painting it black and I should secure it better.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Followup: sorry I was slow posting my experience but that's cuz I've been riding non-stop. Anyhow, I velcroed my ez-Pass to the inside of my left fairing. My point was to make it completely invisible, so I don't have to remove it when parking away from my house. So far, it's been 100% readable. I've been through toll-booths in various places in New York, New Jersey and Mass. and all have read my hidden ezPass and recorded it.

I'm still a little surprised since previous installations on other bikes never worked 100%. I've tried all sorts of mounts and locations. Behind the left fairing is working great so far and I'm pretty happy to not ever have to worry about it falling off or getting lifted by a thief.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 01:26 PM

It isn't always about where you put it. I had loads of trouble getting my tag to work unless I came to a stop and waved it over my head. Even then I am not really sure if the tag was read or the attendant opened the gate. When I tried the next lane over (slower receipt/change lane) it worked reliably mounted to the top inside of my top case, mounted with flex magnet tape on the tank or in my pocket. Return trip on the other side of the toll road worked reliably in various positions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
e-zpass, ez-pass

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode