Frog hugger questions. Installed. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Frog hugger questions. Installed.

I know these may be dumb, but this is my first bike ever, second season of riding. I cant ride year round in Ohio, too much snow!

Anyways, is it supposed to be so close to the tire? I had to mess with it quite a bit to get it to be sitting as good as it is in these photos.

And whenever i put the screw in this hole, the hole that is already in the frame with nothing in it, it pull the hugger closer to the right hand side and thus closer to the tire on the left hand side. So i said screw it and did not put it on. I thought about reaming the hole out some more, but im not sure its that important. What do you guys think? I know it supposed to "hug" the tire, but is this acceptable?

Hole im not putting the screw in.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 07:33 AM

Is the tyre the OEM tyre size?
Does it shake when you shake it? Is this hugger model specially made for the V?
It looks like it's a hugger plus a chain guard.

It just looks too close. Too close for comfort.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 07:39 AM

Does it look like Bear's hugger?
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...read.php?t=214

or

http://www.frogspecialties.com/index.php?categoryid=26

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Yes its the frog hugger for the V.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Stock tire.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 08:46 AM

The Ermax Hugger that I got from Frog doesnít fit either...

See http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=7196

When I first called him (Philippe at Frog) he said that he hadnít heard of any misfit problems, so I sent him links to a couple of threads in this forum where others had been discussing the problem...

See Message # 64 in this thread http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...=Hugger&page=4

In his last email to me he said that I may have gotten a warped one and suggested that (in lieu of a replacement) I could use a heat gun to fix it. I agreed to try that if he would assure me that if it didnít work and it got worse from the attempt that heíd still take it back. That was Thursday. I still havenít heard back from him.

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Bah, I thought about the heat gun as well. For almost 200 bucks I am annoyed I'd have to do that. I have a custom built by me offroad vehicle. And sometimes things need a tweak, but never this much.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 09:34 AM

Sorry to hear of the fitting problem. If you can get your money back go for Twinshack, perfect fit and has the best protection of any of the huggers out there.

Since painted it mat black and it looks much better.

Machog

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Yeah. I originally got it because of the color matching. Now I could care less. Ill call frog and see about a refund. What a bust.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

I hate to hear you guys are having trouble with these things. I guess I got lucky. I looked at mine again the other day & it fits great...

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

So bear, does mine look wonky compared to yours?
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcampana View Post
So bear, does mine look wonky compared to yours?
Yep. I just went out to the garage & took a pencil with me. I put the pencil between the tire & the hugger. It's almost perfect all the way around. Mine lines up really nice compared to yours & the others that have posted with alignment issues. I'm not sure why.

I'm sure you guys are putting all the screws in loose first, then tightening them, right? Maybe a little oblinging the screw holes in the right places would give you some play, but I'm not sure you could get enough.

And I agree, paying that much for a piece of plastic, you'd think they could get it right, or not put any holes in it & let the end user pick up his own holes. I think you would've had much better results that way.

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Well i just called and left a voice mail. Id try the heat gun as well, but only IF it didn't work id get another one or a refund.

Yeah, no pencil will fit on the left hand side for me. Im bummed!
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Oh, and yes, i tried the original instructions for the install, then found if i did it my way doing that extra screw last it fit better. But it is still wacky and not fitting well.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Sorry about your troubles. Had the same problem with a Puig Hugger. Sent it back and ordered the Powerbronze Hugger. Also got an Aluminum Chain Guard from Twisted Throttle. Like the looks and went on very easy. Most of the huggers that i see on the forum that have great protection kinda looks like Granny Panties on a Super Model. You get the coverage but not sexy.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 07-30-2010 at 06:24 AM.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

And honestly, I don't know what a heat gun would do for you, where would you heat & how would you shape it? I would worry more about warping & making things worse. If it were me, I would put the hugger on the swing arm with no screws, line it up even with the tire & see how far off the screw holes are. I would then probably re-drill the holes if they weren't too far off. If I couldn't get it lined up, I would then try the warranty route, but looks like Frog Specialties is a little hard to get a response from. Shame though, they seemed GREAT when I ordered mine.

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcampana View Post
Well i just called and left a voice mail. Id try the heat gun as well, but only IF it didn't work id get another one or a refund.

Yeah, no pencil will fit on the left hand side for me. Im bummed!

I donít know if using heat on one thatís already painted would work out anyway.

FWIW, I still havenít heard back from Frog...

post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Well I am persistant. Ill be calling inbetween every apt tomorrow untill I speak to someone.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 09:08 AM

I still havenít received an answer from him on the question of, what if the heat-gun damages it further..., so Iíll be trying to contact him tomorrow also.

FWIW, If he wants me to pay the shipping to send the defective one back before he sends a replacement, Iím just going to return it for a refund. This is looking more & more like a chronic problem and Iím not going to continue dropping $15 or $20 a shot for shipping in the hope that eventually Iíll get a good one.

post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Wow, so far, an email and two voice mails later and no reply form Frog. Right now i am not impressed with the customer service. When i had ordering questions i got instant emails from Frog, now that i have an issue they have disappeared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode