Touring Luggage Checklist - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Touring Luggage Checklist

First off, let me note that I wasn't sure if this should be here or in Rider's Gear. But whatever.

The following is a checklist of all the luggage that will be needed to added to the V to do some touring. Not all will be bought this year, but a majority will in preps for trips to Indy and out west. Apparently for Indy I get to play pack mule since my brother is riding a zx-6r.

So, what I have currently is a Wolfman Expedition Large Duffle and will be getting the OEM Kawi rear rack this weekend. It is at the dealers, just have to go get it.

To be added:
Caribou Cases 34L Top Box ............. 305
SW Motech Evo Rack ..................... 235
Wolfman Expedition Saddle Bags ....... 215
Wolfman Expedition Small Tank Bag ... 110
SW Motech GPS Holder ................... 50
Pelican 1050 Case (for GPS) ............. 25
4 Wolfman Bottle Holders ................. 80
4 MSR Fuel Bottles ......................... 80
Wolfman Expedition Tank Panniers ..... 120

The grand total is 1220. Now, the Small Tank bag, tank panniers, bottle holders and fuel bottles are all phase 2 kinds of things, and non-essential.

Overkill? About right? Indy is going to be a week worth of traveling, but with hotels. The out west thing is unknown and awaiting family input (family reunion). It will be hotels/cabins/condos when I get there, but prior to that could be camping, if I so choose. Otherwise, more hotels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Here's what I use on my KLR, which has been to Alaska 3 times, last year's trip being 31 days or so:
1. Aluminum trunk made from a case for telephoto lenses (aprox 14"Lx20"Wx7"H) which holds 2 spare tubes and repair kit inc. 12v pump; WD40 for my chain; tools; clutch cable; etc. 0$.
2. Teknic tank bag for camera, extra gloves, Deep Woods OFF, etc. $39
3. soft saddle bags. $125
4. "canoe bag", about 26"Wx16"D and holds my tent, sleeping bag and mat, etc. $30

As you can see - that comes to ABOUT $139 not including the trunk, and here's a picture or three: (I do basically the same on my "V", though I haven't camped with it yet.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg klr1.jpg (461.4 KB, 633 views)
File Type: jpg klr2.jpg (298.9 KB, 487 views)
File Type: jpg klr3.jpg (357.5 KB, 504 views)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like a pretty good setup you have going.

I should have added I already have a Joe Rocket tank bag, so it isn't needed as soon.

I am after a pelican style trunk to hold my gear, with a decent lock. Just feels safer to me. Albeit, your solution is pretty good, but about half as tall as I want. Good to see that setup made Alaska. My hope is that in a couple of years I can take off the 1 month worth of time I need to make it to Alaska and back. Coming from MI it is a pretty long trip. Heck, just getting out of Michigan is a long trip.....

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 01:42 PM

This might help you to see how all the Wolfman stuff fits on a Versys. These are the standard Teton Saddle Bags and Tank Panniers rather than the Expedition range, but the fittings are the same. Frames are SW-Motech Quick Lock Evo's

Got a load more pic's if you want any other close ups.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 02:26 PM

Here is my solution, or at least what I would like:

- Giant Loop Great Basin saddlebag - 400$ (50l capacity, no racks needed)
- Famsa or Wolfman tank bag - 140$
- Kriega R25 backpack (have it)
- Kawasaki top box - small one; it fits helmet and gloves (have it)

Hopefully, this set will serve for long trips far away and close to the civilization.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan V View Post
Here is my solution, or at least what I would like:

- Famsa or Wolfman tank bag - 140$.
Here's some tank bag comparison photo's of the Wolfman v FAMSA - Click
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 03:35 PM

Thanks Joe Bar, those were very useful. I lurk at ADV and VersysUK so I've seen them before.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bar View Post
This might help you to see how all the Wolfman stuff fits on a Versys. These are the standard Teton Saddle Bags and Tank Panniers rather than the Expedition range, but the fittings are the same. Frames are SW-Motech Quick Lock Evo's

How did you run the strapping for the tank panniers? That is the one that puzzles me the most.

Other than that, looks pretty good on the V.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SZRimaging View Post
How did you run the strapping for the tank panniers? That is the one that puzzles me the most.
Really simple, and they fit surprisingly well on the V. Having the crash bars definitely helped as they were the perfect tie down points, but would still be pretty straightforward on a naked bike. I'm 5'10" and have plenty of knee clearance positioned towards the front of the tank as in the pictures.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
4 Wolfman Bottle Holders ................. 80
4 MSR Fuel Bottles ......................... 80
Wolfman Expedition Tank Panniers ..... 120
Overkill?
don't know about the gps thing, but imho, these bits are overkill. i can see the tank panniers, but i'd probably use those to replace another bit of luggage from high/rear (or if i'm carrying someone else's stuff, or carrying someone else). a water bottle can fit in the tankbag. i also used to bungee a canteen to the top of a pannier. you're not likely to run out of gas unless you're careless and inattentive. less is more, as the saying goes....

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrider View Post
don't know about the gps thing, but imho, these bits are overkill. i can see the tank panniers, but i'd probably use those to replace another bit of luggage from high/rear (or if i'm carrying someone else's stuff, or carrying someone else). a water bottle can fit in the tankbag. i also used to bungee a canteen to the top of a pannier. you're not likely to run out of gas unless you're careless and inattentive. less is more, as the saying goes....
Well, since my bro rides a sport bike, I get to play Sherpa. Yeah......

As for the fuel canisters, don't forget they also fit camp stoves! So might use one or two for that purpose. Spare fuel was more for an Alaska trip if I make one. Not adding them immediately.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Well, since my bro rides a sport bike, I get to play Sherpa. Yeah......
Tell your brother what I told mine, get a SpeedPack (they are made for sport bikes) and haul your own crap!

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...tview/919/181/

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
This might help you to see how all the Wolfman stuff fits on a Versys.
Just bought the same dry bags and rack as you. Could you elaborate on the velcro straps and D-rings you use to mount the bags to the rack?
Didn't realize the Wolfman mounting method was somewhat proprietary to their rack. Did you purchase the D-rings and velcro straps separately, or can I get them as a unit? Not sure where to shop locally for either part.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amain View Post
Just bought the same dry bags and rack as you. Could you elaborate on the velcro straps and D-rings you use to mount the bags to the rack?
Didn't realize the Wolfman mounting method was somewhat proprietary to their rack. Did you purchase the D-rings and velcro straps separately, or can I get them as a unit? Not sure where to shop locally for either part.
The D Rings and straps come direct from Wolfman with the saddle bags. On their website you'll see three options for the saddle bags - Wolfman Side Racks / Other Racks / Throw Over - if you choose the Other Racks option the D rings and straps are supplied with the bags.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 03:26 PM

Well that figgers. I bought my bags through Happy Trail and the option wasn't there. Not only that but I ordered from them assuming by the looks of their website that they would have the bags in stock. But no. When I called to check if they had shipped about 3 days later, they said they hadn't gotten them from Wolfman in Denver yet. When I asked if they would be drop-shipped from there they said no, they would be shipped from Boise to me in Iowa. That makes sense (NOT!) I sent another email several days later to check again and got no answer. Nothing until the bags ended up on my doorstep (4 days after the rally I wanted the bags for.) I'm scratching Happy Trail off my list of people I ever want to deal with again.

Thanks for the info about the straps. I'll try to contact Wolfman directly.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 01:05 AM

Quote:
This might help you to see how all the Wolfman stuff fits on a Versys. These are the standard Teton Saddle Bags
For soft bags, this is an awesome setup.
Are they water proof?
Do they have any panel stiffeners to hold their shape if lightly loaded?
They are top-load, right?
Quality of materials and construction?
Yes, more pics are good!

I really like the motech evo panier racks. I'm not sure about their turn signal mounts as my whole tail is bobbed. I'm curious how the cost compares to pelican paniers. Will go look it up.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Here's what I use on my KLR, which has been to Alaska 3 times, last year's trip being 31 days or so:
1. Aluminum trunk made from a case for telephoto lenses (aprox 14"Lx20"Wx7"H) which holds 2 spare tubes and repair kit inc. 12v pump; WD40 for my chain; tools; clutch cable; etc. 0$.
2. Teknic tank bag for camera, extra gloves, Deep Woods OFF, etc. $39
3. soft saddle bags. $125
4. "canoe bag", about 26"Wx16"D and holds my tent, sleeping bag and mat, etc. $30

As you can see - that comes to ABOUT $139 not including the trunk, and here's a picture or three: (I do basically the same on my "V", though I haven't camped with it yet.)
Absolutely awesome photos. Nice trip. I'm genuinely envious!

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
For soft bags, this is an awesome setup.
Are they water proof?

They are pretty water resistant having no zips, but the have been through a sewing machine so will seep water in heavy downpours. Wofman now do waterproof liners / stuff sacks for them as well.

Do they have any panel stiffeners to hold their shape if lightly loaded?

There is a lightweight stiffener in them to give them some shape.

They are top-load, right?

Correct.

Quality of materials and construction?

Usual Wolfman high quality, there are a few customer quptes on his website from people who have already crashed and abused them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode