Windshield physics question, anyone?? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Windshield physics question, anyone??

Ok gang, I have a stock windshield set at the highest setting. My V is the first bike Ive ever had with a windshield. Last bike was a bonneville. So I have no experience in this area. I am 6'2" and currently when riding the V I have clean air pretty much from just below my chin and down. My entire helment is outside of the quiet area but is in clean air. If there is a "buffeting" area of dirty air it is right at my neck so it doesn't move my helmet around at all.

So, here is my question. I have thought about a taller touring screen and followed many threads on the topic. Well, my helemet is about 11-12" high or so, so does that mean my new screen would need to be at least 11-12" taller than the old one to get the dirty air over my head? I would like more wind protection, but I dont want to move the turbelence up somewhere in the middle of my face. So is the height of the new screen the most important factor, or can the actual shape/ curve of the new screen actually move turbulence higher than just the height of the wind shield?

I know all that may be a little hard to follow, but I want to get a screen that will enlarge the clean air pocket but not bounce my head around with turbulence. Any advice here would be really appreciated.

Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I'm also 6'2" I got a lot of input from the guys on this site that was very helpful. I went with the Givi Windshield mounted at the top position. It made a huge differance can actually ride around with my modular helmet in the up position instead of always being closed because of the wind

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 03:25 PM

I have a Madstad adjustable windshield mount and the smoothest air flow for me comes with the shield up about half way and tilted back about 10% from the most upright position. If I go higher or more upright, the buffeting is bothersome. Takeaway is: adjust your shield until you find the best position for you.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 07:39 PM

Did a wind tunnel effect test when comparing the Puig and Givi screen.
Clamped a few ribbons on the screen edges to see how the air flow went.

Then tested the the Givi screen on all the other setting and settled with the highest setting. I'm 5'11.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 01:08 AM

Talking

Bicyclebob wind tunnel test:

1) Find bug swarm.
2) Blast through at 65 mph.
3) Note splatter pattern.
4) Smile at kids.
5) Brush teeth.
6) Lean stock screen back 1/4 inch by putting spacer under bottom bracket mount and discover that it works perfect for me. 5'11"......Homer Simpson body double.

Japanese scientists have created a camera with such a fast shutter speed they now can photograph a woman with her mouth shut.

Last edited by Bicyclebob; 03-20-2010 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Spel chek broke
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 10:19 PM

I started with a givi 405, tried all the positions, with low as the cleanest. then clamped a piece of sheetmetal on the screen in the highest position, playing around with the heights. didn't want to look thru the screen on this bike, so settled on flattening the top of the givi screen by sawing off the crown and adding an mra vario wing, vt4, from twistedthrottle.com. it's sweet now, but not easy or cheap. I still plan to just run the stock screen upside down in the warm months.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomla View Post
I still plan to just run the stock screen upside down in the warm months.
How and why??
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 11:00 PM

I run with mine in the upside down position, big diff.( 6'1" tall) I am waiting on a shield from Mikes, got a chance to try one on the highest setting, and buffeting from cars/trucks in front of you on the highway all but disappeared. Can't wait to get my shield to try it middle position-the quality and price of Mikes shield was great. Now to just get my permanant shield and I'll be ready to put those miles on as I head to Wisconsin in June.

Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy49 View Post
I run with mine in the upside down position, big diff.( 6'1" tall) I am waiting on a shield from Mikes, got a chance to try one on the highest setting, and buffeting from cars/trucks in front of you on the highway all but disappeared. Can't wait to get my shield to try it middle position-the quality and price of Mikes shield was great. Now to just get my permanant shield and I'll be ready to put those miles on as I head to Wisconsin in June.

I am also 6'1, why does it make a difference upside down? And on what setting upside down? Let me know as I will be able to make the same adjustments for least wind interference
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 02:36 PM

you gentlemen with the upside down shield questions should just try it and see for yourself...it's a 5 minute job.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 07:21 PM

You get less wind noise and helmet shake. I have mine on the highest setting.
Give it a try, just take a allen wrench and wrench with you when you ride so you can adjust on the road or flip it back over. i think you'll be surprised of the diff!!

Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The stock shield does work well mounted upside down, even if it can only be done at its highest position... I now have a Mike's Shields tinted sport windscreen in a custom taller 16.5" height. It was creating a vacuum pocket, some buffeting and steering wobble under hard accelleration and at higher speeds. I cut the windscreen mounts, ground the halves down and bolted them back on with flat metal bars (one per side) to have windscreen tilted back as much as it could without touching my handguards at full steering lock. Great improvement. It works perfectly now.

Last edited by invader; 03-25-2010 at 04:02 AM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 03:48 PM

Randy49, I'm not hitting on Mike's Shields on a web search. I'm 6'5" and looking for some more protection from the wind and would like to see what Mike's offers.

Thanks
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 09:19 PM

I like your "adjustable" windscreen brackets, Invader. That's on my list, too. I was thinking about welding them together after the chop, but I kind of like the bolted together idea. 2 bolts/straps or one plate with multiple holes on each side gives you adjustability. Nice.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 10:28 PM

Invader...I like it. Can you post more pics? I sure want to copy it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode