Wide Platform Footpeg Options - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Wide Platform Footpeg Options

I have read the SW Motech footpeg thread, and they look to be well thought out pegs. However, I did not want to wait so I started looking at other options.

I had a brand new set of DRC footpegs for a Honda CRF230 on the parts shelf and looking at them, the design of the pivot area was very similar to the design of the stock Kawi ('09 Versys) pegs.

I removed a stock peg and did some measuring and found that:
1) The pivot pin on the Kawi was larger in diameter than the Honda peg, and
2) The Honda peg was slightly thicker where it inserts into the mount on the bike

Since the DRC pegs have a retail price of $32, and I have had them on the shelf for more than a year, I figured it couldn't hurt to see what I could do with them. After 5 minutes on the drill press and 10 minutes or so at the belt sander, I had them working. The new pegs even take advantage of the stock Kawi return spring.

On my 40 mile commute to work this morning (first ride since the install), I noticed a few things:
1) I really like the larger platform of the dirt bike pegs
2) I felt less vibration in my boots than I experience with the stock pegs, even though these new pegs do not have any rubber inserts to absorb the vibes
3) The distance between the pegs and the shifter/brake pedal is slightly reduced, but I was still able to get my size 13 under the shifter without any problems
4) The new pegs ride slightly higher on the bike (maybe 1/4") which will require a slight adjustment of the brake pedal position

I am at work right now and can't upload any photos from here, but I will take some pics of them on the bike later and upload those. In the meantime, here is what the DRC peg looks like:

Essentially, for those that want another option besides stock and the SW Motech, any footpeg designed for the Honda CRF230, with a little work, will fit the Versys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by WRX Boy; 03-15-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 03:17 PM

Footpegs

Those look nice!! Gives it a real agressive look.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 02:01 AM

Looks .

I think i saw someone posting a Kawi Concour 1400 peg which could fit the V. That also but I like what you did.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride safe,

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 03:22 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Good job mate. Realy like the Honda pegs. Post some images .

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 08:30 AM

Did the same thing last year WRX. Got a set of KX Fastways off Ebay (used about $50), -cheaper ones can be had- same thing -pin hole a bit smaller and shank a bit longer.
As you said, a couple minutes on the old drill press and grinder and fit no problem.
Nicer grip for my boots, larger platform nice especially to stand once in a while, and like you, no problem with getting my size 12s under the shifter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F6_Pegs_3.jpg (52.3 KB, 303 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 003.jpg (234.0 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg Baby 008.jpg (601.9 KB, 401 views)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Here they are installed, sorry for the lame cell phone photos, did not have a chance to use a real camera last night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DRC-right.JPG (359.5 KB, 303 views)
File Type: jpg DRC-left.JPG (325.5 KB, 164 views)

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Hi WRX Boy.

Thanks for the images.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode