I have read the SW Motech footpeg thread, and they look to be well thought out pegs. However, I did not want to wait so I started looking at other options.
I had a brand new set of DRC footpegs for a Honda CRF230 on the parts shelf and looking at them, the design of the pivot area was very similar to the design of the stock Kawi ('09 Versys) pegs.
I removed a stock peg and did some measuring and found that:
1) The pivot pin on the Kawi was larger in diameter than the Honda peg, and
2) The Honda peg was slightly thicker where it inserts into the mount on the bike
Since the DRC pegs have a retail price of $32, and I have had them on the shelf for more than a year, I figured it couldn't hurt to see what I could do with them. After 5 minutes on the drill press and 10 minutes or so at the belt sander, I had them working. The new pegs even take advantage of the stock Kawi return spring.
On my 40 mile commute to work this morning (first ride since the install), I noticed a few things:
1) I really like the larger platform of the dirt bike pegs
2) I felt less vibration in my boots than I experience with the stock pegs, even though these new pegs do not have any rubber inserts to absorb the vibes
3) The distance between the pegs and the shifter/brake pedal is slightly reduced, but I was still able to get my size 13 under the shifter without any problems
4) The new pegs ride slightly higher on the bike (maybe 1/4") which will require a slight adjustment of the brake pedal position
I am at work right now and can't upload any photos from here, but I will take some pics of them on the bike later and upload those. In the meantime, here is what the DRC peg looks like:
Essentially, for those that want another option besides stock and the SW Motech, any footpeg designed for the Honda CRF230, with a little work, will fit the Versys.