Alternate Hugger option - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Alternate Hugger and radiator guard options

Hi,

Has anyone here had any experience with this hugger I just saw on eBay?

click here

I don't know what the brand name is but it seems to be what I have been looking for : a simple hugger that is not integral to a chain-guard. (I like to remove my chain-guard when I service the chain and having a whole hugger/chain-guard assembly to remove just seems like more work.)

If anyone knows about this item or the people selling it (in Greece) I would appreciate your opinion.

I know the powerbronze huggers are seperate from the chain-guard and i really like how they look but they have a mesh insert that I think might be difficult to keep clean.

Also, anyone tried this radiator guard?

radiator guard

Looks nice and is aluminum rather than the stainless one I saw before.

Thanks, John

Last edited by jruh; 03-14-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Not sure about that hugger but the radiator guard i liked the looks but with the long openings i didn't think it would offer the best protection and it shows two places on the top to attach to the bike but on my 09 there is nothing to attach to. I ordered my from England it shipped right away fits great and looks good with excellent protection

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KAWASAKI-VERSY...item56378e1f08

Check out the powerbronze hugger

http://www.superbikestore.com/versys.htm

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 03-23-2010 at 12:12 PM.
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 07:41 PM

"but the radiator guard i liked the looks but with the long openings i didn't think it would offer the best protection and it shows two places on the top to attach to the bike but on my 09 there is nothing to attach to. "

HUH? So what i got from what you typed is this.....It looks good, but you think functionally its kind of useless and there was no place to mount the top of it.

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 08:43 PM

Why the hell do these huggers cost so damn much? It's just a chunk of molded ABS, right?
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 09:16 PM

Garage
mcampana
Member Join Date: Jun 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"but the radiator guard i liked the looks but with the long openings i didn't think it would offer the best protection and it shows two places on the top to attach to the bike but on my 09 there is nothing to attach to. "

HUH? So what i got from what you typed is this.....It looks good, but you think functionally its kind of useless and there was no place to mount the top of it.

You trying to be funny????

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

weljo2001, I think you must have been looking at the wrong photo.

Jungmann1, I am also surprised at the price of these huggers. That's why I haven't bought one long ago. Especially after reading some other threads on here about fitting issues with certain huggers. I guess its the overhead cost of an injection mould vs the relatively small production run for each model.

John
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 09:25 PM

Garage
No on my 09 theres no place on top to mount After you click on thumbnail to make larger then Double click on photo to get closer look

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 07-30-2010 at 06:24 AM.
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 02:05 PM

No i wasnt being funny. Serious question.
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

I can't see them in that photo but they gotta be there. They are what mounts the top of your radiator to the bike.
How is the top of that radiator guard attached?
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruh View Post
weljo2001, I think you must have been looking at the wrong photo.

Jungmann1, I am also surprised at the price of these huggers. That's why I haven't bought one long ago. Especially after reading some other threads on here about fitting issues with certain huggers. I guess its the overhead cost of an injection mould vs the relatively small production run for each model.

John
I really like the look of the Evotech Radiator Grille. It's the first I've seen that looks cool and stealthy rather than stick out like a piece of tinsel on a Christmas tree.

Now then, the photo of the Evotech Radiator Grille on eBay clearly shows it on a ER-6, but says it's for both ER-6 or Versys, but weljo2001's photo clearly shows no upper mounting points, so is the Evotech really going to fit the Versys?

As for the hugger, (rant coming) I too feel they are quite expensive for what they are, especially when it appears to be an essential piece of kit in order to keep all the road crap away from the shock and all the other components back there. I mean, most other bikes have some kind of cover there as standard, but we Versys owners have to go out and buy an expensive after-market piece of kit. What's with that?

BTW, not all huggers are made from ABS. I've seen at least one that was made from fibreglass that I personally would avoid. It's heavy and brittle. It also only came painted with primer ready to be colour matched. What a hassle. Personally, I'd like a carbon fibre one, and I know Powerbronze has one, but I too am not keen on the mesh look, and besides they don't appear to have the carbon one for the Versys.

Anyway, if anyone else out there has found any other hugger, grille, and even fender extender options, I'll be watching this thread carefully.

P.S. weljo2001: what make/model is the rear stand you are using in your photo?

Last edited by V-Twister; 03-15-2010 at 08:16 PM.
post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 08:39 PM

Garage
The radiator has a lip on top and the radiator cover comes bent to fit. Put 3 very small pieces of loc-tite double side tape on the inner lip so no vibration. The stand i got at Harbor Freight. Web-site had it listed for $49 at the store i believe it was $36 and they have the swing arm spools for $5 Its very light and works great

http://cgi.ebay.com/KAWASAKI-VERSYS-...item56378e1f08

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=99701

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 03-15-2010 at 08:52 PM.
post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Here's a pic of my 2008 from approximately same angle as the pic of the Evotech guard. Can very clearly see the same 2 mounting screws on top.

I can't speak for the 2009 but it seems they have omitted the upper mounting screws for the radiator. odd.

Last edited by jruh; 03-15-2010 at 10:33 PM.
post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 10:27 PM

Sorry jruh, but I'm not seeing your photo. Could you repost please?

Thanks for the links weljo2001.
post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

i edited the link. hope it works now but heres the pic as attachment also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg radiator.jpg (199.0 KB, 72 views)
post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 10:40 PM

Talking

Here's mine http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=1552 20k miles and no issues. It's a fiberglass Pyramid.

Japanese scientists have created a camera with such a fast shutter speed they now can photograph a woman with her mouth shut.
post #16 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Bicyclebob, your V looks awesome.
post #17 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 02:18 AM

Found the manufacturer's site for the Evotech Rad Grille (http://www.evotech-performance.com/a...info_7440.html), and it looks like it might work out cheaper to get it directly even for you lads in the US. Certainly is for me here in Japan, as they sell it tax free (-17.5%), and shipping is only ten quid. Think I might get one of these, but wish they had a fender extender and a hugger to match, so I could get them all from the same place.
post #18 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruh View Post
Hi,

Has anyone here had any experience with this hugger I just saw on eBay?

click here

I don't know what the brand name is but it seems to be what I have been looking for : a simple hugger that is not integral to a chain-guard. (I like to remove my chain-guard when I service the chain and having a whole hugger/chain-guard assembly to remove just seems like more work.)

If anyone knows about this item or the people selling it (in Greece) I would appreciate your opinion.

I know the powerbronze huggers are seperate from the chain-guard and i really like how they look but they have a mesh insert that I think might be difficult to keep clean.

Also, anyone tried this radiator guard?

radiator guard

Looks nice and is aluminum rather than the stainless one I saw before.

Thanks, John
I "won" one yesterday, let you know when I get it on the bike. Thanks!

My Album:
post #19 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Element, was that the hugger or radiator guard that you just won on eBay?
Thanks, John
post #20 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 03:39 PM

The hugger, paid 96 for it. Hope it works out, never heard of EDrive before, but I don't know aftermarket companies, only what I read on the forum.
Are you riding Arkansas this weekend with those other Texas V riders?

My Album:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode