2015 V1K Farkel begins - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
2015 V1K Farkel begins

Well it's been 4 Whole Days of ownership.. I had to do something.

Removed the reflectors from the forks/front guard, they were only finger tight

Ordered a couple of RAM mounts Saturday and they arrived this morning. Mounted the old GPS and Drift Cam.

Oxford Grips have been ordered as has a power socket. I'll wait till they are both here before pulling plastics off and finding connections for the electrics,

Ian
Growing Older is Inevitable, Growing Up is Optional.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 08:27 AM

Nice!

2013 Kawasaki Versys- Blue/Black
2014 Honda Grom- Red/Black
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 350 Blue/Black
2012 Kawasaki KLX250s Red/Black
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IF1960 View Post
I had to do something.
Well done. For the record, Kaw does make a bracket that fits a GPS directly above the speedo. Not sure what all it fits. As I have a Zumo 550, I'll probably go this route.

http://www.moto-passion.co.uk/kawasa...s-bracket.html

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
Well done. For the record, Kaw does make a bracket that fits a GPS directly above the speedo. Not sure what all it fits. As I have a Zumo 550, I'll probably go this route.

http://www.moto-passion.co.uk/kawasa...s-bracket.html
Screen support on the 2015 V1K is a bit different to the 13.. be worth checking before spending your coin Just in case.

Ian
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 10:56 PM

Garage
Nice! Reflector removal was one of the first things I did as well. Be careful or your bike will look like mine in less than 6 months

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Screen support on the 2015 V1K is a bit different to the 13.. be worth checking before spending your coin Just in case.
Yeah, I noticed it was listed as fitting a '14, but I read about it on the '15s somewhere. You can see one fitted in this pic:

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
Nice! Reflector removal was one of the first things I did as well. Be careful or your bike will look like mine in less than 6 months
I was looking at the reflector on the 650 and it seemed to be fitted to the end of a funny looking bolt/stalk. Appears to me like you'd need to get a proper bolt for the fender if you wanted to remove the reflector and the stalk, no?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 02:06 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
I was looking at the reflector on the 650 and it seemed to be fitted to the end of a funny looking bolt/stalk. Appears to me like you'd need to get a proper bolt for the fender if you wanted to remove the reflector and the stalk, no?
Exactly right. The reflector and stalk removed and If I remember right, it was a standard 10 mm or similar. Pretty easy.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 11:58 PM

I like that color!

I think Oxford grips were the 1st farkle on my 2011. After a power outlet for heated gear--but that hardly qualifies as a farkle.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 09:19 AM

I'm so jealous of the 1000's, but not of the payments.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 04:48 AM Thread Starter

Oxford Grips

Well the grips turned up and I had a couple of hours spare ... So.. on they go

Pretty simple. Took the old ones off with a small long screwdriver and WD40.. slid right off.

Pulled the side cover and found the stock Heated grip connection.. Different pins and housings but with a bit of Jerry rigging i was able to get it sorted without getting the soldering iron out, Win.

I purchased the Adventure" Oxfords, fitted the left bar first. Forkin tight and I had to trim the outer ring off the grip to fit. expected that, all good.

Trimmed the Throttle to the same length. It went on much easier but was too long. Trimmed in situ which was not ideal.

Used the supplied controller bracket and spacers making a securing bracket from a U bolt, painted black as was the Oxford bracket.

All works as it should, powers off with the ignition and runs the OEM fused circuit.

Ian
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:

Pretty simple. Took the old ones off with a small long screwdriver and WD40.. slid right off.

Pulled the side cover and found the stock Heated grip connection.. Different pins and housings but with a bit of Jerry rigging i was able to get it sorted without getting the soldering iron out, Win.

I purchased the Adventure" Oxfords, fitted the left bar first. Forkin tight and I had to trim the outer ring off the grip to fit. expected that, all good.

Trimmed the Throttle to the same length. It went on much easier but was too long. Trimmed in situ which was not ideal.

Used the supplied controller bracket and spacers making a securing bracket from a U bolt, painted black as was the Oxford bracket.

All works as it should, powers off with the ignition and runs the OEM fused circuit.

Nice looking 1000! I have the same Oxfords. Absolute must to ride all year round here in the Northeast US.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:

The last time I tried to take the bar ends of a Kaw was a ZRX1200. They red Loctited them at the factory. I had to go buy a manual impact wrench with a Philips head to get the damn things off.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
Exactly right. The reflector and stalk removed and If I remember right, it was a standard 10 mm or similar. Pretty easy.
I replaced the chrome bolts with black, like the look better.
See in this photo.

Fast.jpg
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
I replaced the chrome bolts with black, like the look better.
See in this photo....
Smiley - IF you require reflective something up front by law, try adding a bit of yellow reflective tape to the lowest portion of your forks (which is what I've done).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Smiley - IF you require reflective something up front by law, try adding a bit of yellow reflective tape to the lowest portion of your forks (which is what I've done).
I suppose I might do that IF I'm forced to. Reflectors on the front of bikes are useless for anything except parking in a dark place. Reflective material on the back is a totally different matter. I use silver reflective tape on my helmet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode