Heated Grips - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Heated Grips

I'd posted this on the UK Versys forum but couldn't find much here when I searched so thought I'd post here as well.

I've used Symtec Heated Grips for quite a few years, and now can't have a bike without heated grips. It's surprising how much you do use them, even in summer.

www.symtec-inc.com

Fitting is pretty straightforward, and wiring up only requires the use of a test light to find a suitable live feed and earth point. They use the existing Kawasaki grips, so it all looks pretty standard when finished and the hi-lo switch fits neatly in the dash panel with no clunky controller boxes.

Whilst the fairing panels were off, I also took the opportunity to fit a 12v accessory DIN socket into the dash panel, wired live direct to the battery.

I also fitted a cigarette lighter type accessory socket under the seat, handy for the heated vest and charging the mobile phone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 07:53 AM

I bought the Sym-Tech heated grip kit also and am wondering which hot wire to use. Did you tap into the Low Beam wire? This is probably a dumb question but is the Low Beam still on when the High Beam is? If so, the Low Beam wire seems like the correct one - it would be hot only when the engine is running but I want the grips to be warm when on High Beam also.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
I bought the Sym-Tech heated grip kit also and am wondering which hot wire to use. Did you tap into the Low Beam wire? This is probably a dumb question but is the Low Beam still on when the High Beam is? If so, the Low Beam wire seems like the correct one - it would be hot only when the engine is running but I want the grips to be warm when on High Beam also.
I actually tapped into the side lamp feed, always on with the engine running. Provides ample power, used them yesterday with just summer gloves, they were almost too hot when running on high

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 08:20 AM

Thanks very much for the quick reply. I was just thinking that might be the way to go. There appears to be just enough room for the saddle tap they provide when I slide the sheathing back from the connector.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
Thanks very much for the quick reply. I was just thinking that might be the way to go. There appears to be just enough room for the saddle tap they provide when I slide the sheathing back from the connector.
Exactly how I did it
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 06:38 PM

I installed the Sym-Tech kit with no problems and would recommend it to others. Joe's pictures and advice were quite helpful. The low setting may be all I ever need. I know it is the beginning of warm riding but now I am ready for the fall and am planning on riding longer into the cold season than ever before.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 08:05 PM

You will find that your heat grips will sometimes be on in the morning/evenings even during the summer. You won't know how you did w/out them. Now get the Warm and safe heated liner gear and you will be the master of the universe.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

AS MM said, now you've got them, you'll be surprised how often you use them in summer as well.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 04:27 AM

Joe thank you. Your post was all I needed to ignite my interest to install a set on my bike
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 04:45 AM

I installed the symtec heaters yesterday... there was ample room to tap the side lamp as Joe mentioned. Except for the grip removal it was a pretty straightforward install.

Here are some pics.

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 06:23 PM

guys that looks really good. I installed Cycle gear's version and I'm having issue w/ the throttle grip slipping. I've got to figure a way to take off and reposition and glue.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 03:56 PM

flipexed,

Where did you get those handguards?
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 04:14 PM

They look like KTM's, which I have and cost $55 plus tax at your friendly local KTM dealer. Ask for Part # 6000207910030/Black.

They also have them in ORANGE. It's one of those colors that just doesn't seem to go very well with my (FASTER) GREEN V. They would undoubtably slow my bike if I had them

The KTM's fit like they were made for the Versys and install in about 20 minutes on GREEN bikes, slightly longer on the inherently slower red, blue and black bikes.

V-Zee
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddlz View Post
flipexed,

Where did you get those handguards?
I got them here http://www.ktmtwins.com/950superendu...207910030.html Pretty fast shipping too... i got them in 2 days ground from California.

V-zee is so awesomely right... black go with the green very well. I keep up with the busa's in style

The fit looks very OEM!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 07:41 PM

Does anyone know if those handguards work on the faster green versys that I have with the givi windshield from twisted throttle?
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 11:02 AM

I can't imagine they would interfere with the Givi, but maybe someone has direct experience. The guards come up in front of the master cylinder, but nothing inboard of that. Pics above show the condition.

V-Zee

Last edited by VerstehenZee; 05-05-2010 at 11:06 AM.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 09:13 PM

The problem is when the bars are tured all the way I've heard the barkbusters hit the windshield
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bversysb View Post
Does anyone know if those handguards work on the faster green versys that I have with the givi windshield from twisted throttle?

Searching resulted in

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ktm+handguards
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bversysb View Post
they bump the givi shield a little on the left but if you had mirror extenders, it would probably correct it.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bar View Post
I'd posted this on the UK Versys forum but couldn't find much here when I searched so thought I'd post here as well.

I've used Symtec Heated Grips for quite a few years, and now can't have a bike without heated grips. It's surprising how much you do use them, even in summer.

www.symtec-inc.com

Fitting is pretty straightforward, and wiring up only requires the use of a test light to find a suitable live feed and earth point. They use the existing Kawasaki grips, so it all looks pretty standard when finished and the hi-lo switch fits neatly in the dash panel with no clunky controller boxes.

Whilst the fairing panels were off, I also took the opportunity to fit a 12v accessory DIN socket into the dash panel, wired live direct to the battery.

I also fitted a cigarette lighter type accessory socket under the seat, handy for the heated vest and charging the mobile phone.
the throttle tube under the grip is plastic, right?
does the heat affect it or melt it??

I'm on to install the socket as well. Just waiting to get the Fuzeblock since all the wiring has me confused...:S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode