Baldwin Cafe Seat Review - Pics - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Baldwin Cafe Seat Review - Pics

I've got 700 miles on my Baldwin Cafe Seat. Here's my 2p:

Comfort: CRAZY comfy. Just nuts. I don't do mega rides but 2-3 hours no problem at all. None. Stocker was pain in rear at 30 minutes. No break in for me whatsoever with Baldwin seat. I'll get off the bike after a couple of hours and realize I did not stand up once and did not think about my rear end once. Can't comment on longer rides then that as I have not taken any. I'm about average when it comes to comfort expectations.

Aesthetics: Personal of course but I get positive comments on it all the time. Bike is new so seat doesn't stand out to any great degree but I still get the comments. I'd say nearly everyone that has taken a close look at the bike has commented positively on the seat. More importantly, I love the way it looks.

Customer Service: Well, they did deliver when they promised. They did refund my seat exchange deposit in a timely fashion. Communication was solid. (One clitche - see below)

Minor quibble - if that: The seat was higher than stock and was not supposed to be. I am certain it was higher because on the first ride I looked in my mirrors and saw my elbows. I also caught a blast of air over my Givi screen. Fortunately I was able to raise the screen and it was fine.

I spoke with Loren at Baldwin about this (mostly out of curiosity as I was ok with it). He said different seats have different riding positions but the seat he built was the same height as stock. OK ...???

I'm passing this along as an FYI because the seat is custom and pricey so if height is critical you may want to talk with Loren about height before you buy.

Anyway, great seat. Comfy beyond belief and very attractive. Here are some pics on the V.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
that's a good looking saddle...the rider support looks good too...i checked out their site and the price is right...I think I might contact them on a "lower" seat option...As of now I ride a Sargent's World Sport Performance low seat and it takes around 4 hours before my butt needs a rest...I'm also considering having a local upholster add a gel insert to my Sargents..with custom stitching and leather that should run me around 200 bucks...

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 05:46 AM
MTS

Thanks for the review!

Is it rude to ask how much the seat costs? If so please don't post.

SC has great reviews, and this BC seat looks great.

I did the self-mod with the AH over the top.

All good solutions to a terrible ball grinding, forward sloping nard smashing, pain in the a$$, junk punishing stocker. LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Is it rude to ask how much the seat costs?
Not at all. $525, plus an additional $200 seat deposit. When you ship them your old seat pan they refund the $200. I used the box and packaging from my new seat. Forget what shipping was -- maybe $30.

I was refunded promptly.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Lack of love for the V seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Thanks for the review!

Is it rude to ask how much the seat costs? If so please don't post.

SC has great reviews, and this BC seat looks great.

I did the self-mod with the AH over the top.

All good solutions to a terrible ball grinding, forward sloping nard smashing, pain in the a$$, junk punishing stocker. LOL
Your final comments force me to put in my V seat joke; again. "Whats a cheap hotel and a Versys seat have in common? No ballroom!"

I'm sorry, I can't help myself. Don't get me started on musician jokes.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Old Member Objectuser was the reason for the Versys Cafe Seat..http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=16111 ...They sure look sweet....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 08:48 PM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayj View Post
Your final comments force me to put in my V seat joke; again. "Whats a cheap hotel and a Versys seat have in common? No ballroom!"

I'm sorry, I can't help myself. Don't get me started on musician jokes.
LOL Thank you for that one!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorfan View Post
Not at all. $525, plus an additional $200 seat deposit. When you ship them your old seat pan they refund the $200. I used the box and packaging from my new seat. Forget what shipping was -- maybe $30.

I was refunded promptly.
Could I ask what options that you got on the seat? Was it leather? Vinyl? Did you get a gel pad?

Thank you.

UB
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBuck View Post
Could I ask what options that you got on the seat? Was it leather? Vinyl? Did you get a gel pad?

Thank you.

UB
- Vinyl
- Versys Cafe Style comes with gel inserts
- There are 3 zones on the seat. You can pick patterns for each zone. I chose ostrich for the sitting area and plain for the other 2 areas (it sets off the ostrich pattern nicely). There is a diagram on the Baldwin website showing the zones and pattern options for each zone.
- Nickel colored top stitching (very nice touch IMO)

Seats are custom made so talk with Lauren at Baldwin if you want something special done.

The quality of the vinyl is excellent. As close to leather looking as you can get with vinyl.

400 miles since review. I'm still amazed at the comfort of the seat and continue to get compliments.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 05:27 PM

Thank you for the information. Much appreciated.

UB

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode