BMW Seat on a VERSYS?!?!?! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
BMW Seat on a VERSYS?!?!?!

With a HUGE,,, Tip of the cap to Golfmuch for "Going Where No One Has Gone Before" in figuring out this would even work!!! Golfmuch without his idea,,, I would have never taken it on...

Golfmuch took a seat,,, cut it in half,,, installed the BMW up front,,, and re stapled the back part onto the remaining original seat on the bike... He had a BMW front seat,,, and the Versys rear seat this way... Great job he did too!!!

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...?t=1894&page=1

But,,, this is where I took the idea and ran/stumbled along with it...

His install was great,,, but,,, if you ever change your mind,,, you just lost the original seat... No turning back as they say... What if I decide to sell the bike and the guy buying wants an original seat instead??? Golfmuch seat mode the rear seat is still up high... I am NOT,,, riding double on this bike,,, but carry a bag on the rear seat... The lower it is,,, the better... But,,, I also wanted it to be in a pinch,,, someone could ride back there too... Throw in the fact that this BMW seat I could sell it for more than I could buy an original I suppose if I had to buy an original again...

So with all that rambling around my brain,,, I set the goals I wanted in this seat...

Golfmuch never had the front of the BMW seat to where it would latch... You could grab ahold of the seat and just pull it off if you wanted... Mine,,, it had to latch so this problem would be fixed...

The Rear seat was to high in Golfmuch install,,, and I wanted to get it lower... I wanted the seat in the rear low enough that I could haul a tent in the rear and it would be mounted just almost flush with the Grab rails in the rear...

I wanted it to where it still latched onto the bike,,, and the seats both front and back were secured...

Well,,, SHAZZAM!!!
These pics make the rear look more black than the front,,, it really isn't...

Last edited by Austin city limits; 02-13-2010 at 07:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

You can see the notching in the rear bumpers on the BMW seat which allow the seat the settle down between the frame,,, and the piece of metal I installed sticking out the front of the seat that goes through the holder on the bike that will hold the front of the BMW seat onto the bike secure...

The metal sticking out the front of the seat to secure onto the bike... I took my Dremel with the cutting disk and simply,,, cut a grove down that channel to make a grove so the metal would slide down... EXTREMELY,,, easy... So secure,,, I just added to screws into the metal to hold it secure... Took,,, about 2 minutes from start to finish to install this!!! I since have wrapped "Gorilla Tape" around the end on the metal to make it fit perfectly snug onto the bike...

2 minutes after I cut the gruve and hammered the metal in place... Since the picture,,, I installed it more perfectly,,, installed the 2 screws into the holes in the metal to hold it onto the seat in case of nuclear attack... Also,,, in this picture you can see where the BMW seat had 2 "Cups" which helped attach the BMW seat to a BMW... We ain't no BMW,,, and we don't need no cups!!! Just cut them off with your Dremel,,, and keep the Dremel plugged in...

Here is the Prototype of the rear seat that makes it work!!! Yeah,,, it is butt ugly,,, but,,, IT IS A WORKING MODEL!!!

I took the latches from the Versys Seat and simply installed them onto what consist of a pieces of plywood,,, and a 2 x 4... Got some foam,,, and some "Marine Grade Vinyl and a bar of metal to install the latches onto and SHAZZAM!!! The 2 x 4 is where the latch is installed,,, and also used to hold the tab on the BMW seat secure onto the bike... Ugly,,, but it works!!!

Last edited by Austin city limits; 02-13-2010 at 07:23 AM.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Here is what it looks like from the rear before getting it latched down...

Here is how the rear seat will look 97.6% of the time...

This is how the bike looked with the bag on the Versys seat... It was around 4 1/2 inches higher,,, and angled back... Looks way better and lower now!!!

Last edited by Austin city limits; 02-12-2010 at 06:43 PM.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 06:46 PM

Nice work!
What kind of BMW is the seat off of?
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

BMW 1100/1150 RT...

Bought it for $65 shipped... It was off Ardys Kellerman's old bike she totaled... The bike she totaled had just went over 100,000 miles for a year!!! I think she was up near 104,000 miles when she got banged into... Ardys Kellerman's is a frigg'n legend!!! The seat,,, was not hurt,,, and it did no where NEAR,,, as many miles as the bike,,, thank goodness... Course,,, being she weighs in all of about 100 pounds,,, maybe,,, I am setting on the seat where she never dreamed of riding on it!!!

Last edited by Austin city limits; 02-12-2010 at 07:07 PM.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 07:28 PM

Pretty slick, Farmer Dude.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
2003 ST1300ABS (SOLD 5/15)
IBA 59868
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 08:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to golfmuch
Give me your coment on how comfortable the seat is. I have gone on a 625 mile one day ride and pull in the drive way and think. I forgot to think about the seat and see if it is more comfortable. That should say it all. I never think about the seat any more. I seriously think about making one fit on my KLR. Hmmmm! Yours looks fantastic. I got a new bag a few weeks ago. It is the Givi soft sided computer bag that attaches to the plate and locks just like a box. I bet it would do great on the back of that Versys.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 09:46 PM

well golfmuch, now that i've got your bike i can already tell you that this BMW seat is way more comfortable than a corbin. I love this metal tab that ACL came up with. I'll have to duplicate that so the seat is a little more secure. it dosent move while riding of course but it's still too easy to take off.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Pretty slick, Farmer Dude.
Thanks Bones!!!

Had to get a couple things I did not steal off you on the bike... Might only have 1 original idea I have done though... The Kaoko throttle thingy was on my own,,, didn't really steal,,, um,,, I mean "USE" someone elses idea...

Golfmuch had the brainstorm,,, I just made the 2.0 update...
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmuch View Post
Give me your coment on how comfortable the seat is. I have gone on a 625 mile one day ride and pull in the drive way and think. I forgot to think about the seat and see if it is more comfortable. That should say it all. I never think about the seat any more. I seriously think about making one fit on my KLR. Hmmmm! Yours looks fantastic. I got a new bag a few weeks ago. It is the Givi soft sided computer bag that attaches to the plate and locks just like a box. I bet it would do great on the back of that Versys.
It is still to cold and ice on the roads... First clear day on the roads I will give it a break in...

It make you set about 1 inch higher... Course,,, that makes it easier on the knees especially when I have the peg lowers already on it too!!!
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydoc View Post
well golfmuch, now that i've got your bike i can already tell you that this BMW seat is way more comfortable than a corbin. I love this metal tab that ACL came up with. I'll have to duplicate that so the seat is a little more secure. it dosent move while riding of course but it's still too easy to take off.
You,,, wouldn't be related,,, to Golfmuch???

I used the 1 1/2 inch cutting wheel or something around that size to cut the slit... Just ran the dremel right down the middle of the slit fairly flush and it cut it like butter... It was so easy,,, I really didn't think it would work!!! Pressed the metal up the slot,,, and cut the tab sticking out to fit under the hold down thingy on the bike and that was it!!!

So Easy,,, a Cave Man/Farmer could do it!!! A Navy Doc??? Scalpel!!!
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 09:43 AM

That looks great ACL!! Very finished look and it fits the bike very well. One would never suspect the plywood shenanigans underneath.

I will probably do something about the legroom too, certainly build up my seat with extra foam and maybe peg lowering kit. But nothing as ambitious as your BMV seat.

With your peg lowering kit, did you need to adjust the shift and brake levers? Is that easy to do?
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 10:03 AM

Dutch Boy, another thing you can do for your legs is to stretch them out on top of the SWMotech crash bars. (You got those, didn't you?) For me anyway, I can lay my legs on top of the bars. The angle is perfect so they stay there without any real effort. In warm weather, it also forces air up my riding pants for a blast of cooling, especially if I have the pants' vents open. After a while I put my feet back on the pegs and feel refreshed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
2003 ST1300ABS (SOLD 5/15)
IBA 59868
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 10:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to golfmuch
You,,, wouldn't be related,,, to Golfmuch??? (quote)

Yes that is my son. He has the Versys now and I have my KLR back. One day he may graduate to My ZRX1200R. When he gets used to his eye balls getting pushed to the back of his head. LOL. ZRX is a Torque monster.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 11:38 AM

Ya Bones, I have the SW Motech crash bars. I have not made a trip longer than my 22 mile commute, but I will try putting my stilts up there.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 11:50 AM

When he gets used to his eye balls getting pushed to the back of his head. LOL. ZRX is a Torque monster. (quote)

Lol, im still getting used to the Versys. I'd like to not pee myself the first time I get on a bike that powerful.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

For me the Peg lowers worked to where the brake was a better fit than it was,,, and the upshifting was easier,,, but maybe the downshifting you had to raise your foot a little more for....

I did not change a thing... The Shifter??? Not hard at all... The Brake??? A shade more time consuming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretbek View Post
That looks great ACL!! Very finished look and it fits the bike very well. One would never suspect the plywood shenanigans underneath.

I will probably do something about the legroom too, certainly build up my seat with extra foam and maybe peg lowering kit. But nothing as ambitious as your BMV seat.

With your peg lowering kit, did you need to adjust the shift and brake levers? Is that easy to do?
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmuch View Post
You,,, wouldn't be related,,, to Golfmuch??? (quote)

Yes that is my son. He has the Versys now and I have my KLR back. One day he may graduate to My ZRX1200R. When he gets used to his eye balls getting pushed to the back of his head. LOL. ZRX is a Torque monster.
I thought from your e-mail this was your son!!! Just wanted to make sure it was...

Glad to know ya both!!!
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

Roads finally cleared enough to ride some today so,,, as promised,,, an update on how the seat felt!!!

I have a Russell on my ST-1300 Honda,,, and it is about a 9.7 out of 10...

This BMW seat is a solid 8.5 as it has been altered and jell pad installed...

Before,,, with the Versys seat,,, it was about a 3.2...

With the Versys seat,,, I could flat foot the Versys...

With the BMW seat I am more on my toes...

So,,, with the Versys in stock mode,,, my knees were uncomfortable...

With the peg lowers,,, I felt a ton better...

With the BMW seat and Peg lowers,,, complete comfort!!!
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 02:49 PM

Did you (or golfmuch) consider not cutting the front mounts from the seat and installing a BMW front mount on the Versys frame? I'm assuming the seat would sit much too high if this was tried?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode