Any creative ideas for Auxiliary switch on the bars? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Any creative ideas for Auxiliary switch on the bars?

I am researching a set of auxiliary lights for the V, and I am just wondering if anyone has a creative way to get the switch onto the bars close enough for a thumb to activate - preferably the left side.

I know I could wire them into the high beams, or mount a switch on the dash, but I want to be able to control when they are on (for city driving), and I hate having to take a hand off the bars while reaching for switches - especially if I need to flash them a couple of times.

Any help on how you have wired your lights would be appreciated, before I go out and try to build some ugly looking bracket!

(I've looked at some of the low-priced handle bar switches, but the way the V is laid out, there is no way to get one of them close to my thumb.)

'09 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmason View Post
I am researching a set of auxiliary lights for the V, and I am just wondering if anyone has a creative way to get the switch onto the bars close enough for a thumb to activate - preferably the left side.

I know I could wire them into the high beams, or mount a switch on the dash, but I want to be able to control when they are on (for city driving), and I hate having to take a hand off the bars while reaching for switches - especially if I need to flash them a couple of times.

Any help on how you have wired your lights would be appreciated, before I go out and try to build some ugly looking bracket!

(I've looked at some of the low-priced handle bar switches, but the way the V is laid out, there is no way to get one of them close to my thumb.)
http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_kw...d=281376590614

get one of these and mount it between the clutch and the switch cluster after moving the clutch mount over to the right a bit...
or make one like i did =p
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...970#post735970
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I attached mine to the side of the heated grips switch. Easy to reach with my thumb. I only turn it off when going through a guarded gate before sun up.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 11:59 PM

Garage
I would wire a relay to the high beams so you can control them with your hands on the bars. To be able to turn them off in a city, I would install a inline switch on the dash. The high beams wouldn't be being used in a city anyway, so killing the high beams kills the auxiliary lights as well. Also you will never need to worry about leaving them on when parked.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 03:07 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I bought some small waterproof switches on ebay to try.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190668712...84.m1438.l2649

these might be a bit hard to push in/out, but there are other easier to operate toggle switches out there.

you can mount them on a small bracket attached to the mirror bolt and your thumb should be able to push it without too much issue.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
I bought some small waterproof switches on ebay to try.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190668712...84.m1438.l2649

these might be a bit hard to push in/out, but there are other easier to operate toggle switches out there.

you can mount them on a small bracket attached to the mirror bolt and your thumb should be able to push it without too much issue.
I'll look for something similar, maybe a simple toggle switch, and will figure out an easy bracket. Good idea on mounting using the mirror bolt, seems a good place to tie a bracket in.

'09 Versys
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 06:53 AM

Ooh....that looks like a really good design for attaching a garage door opener that I've been wanting to do. Button up top connected to the universal opener hidden somewhere behind a faring or under the seat
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 12:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklandopen View Post
Ooh....that looks like a really good design for attaching a garage door opener that I've been wanting to do. Button up top connected to the universal opener hidden somewhere behind a faring or under the seat
If you are looking to install a garage door opener, here is a how to I made.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...73&postcount=1

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 04:47 PM

Exactly what I've been wanting/needing to do thanks
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 06:35 PM

image hosting gifQUOTE=HAWKSHOT99;738842]If you are looking to install a garage door opener, here is a how to I made.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...73&postcount=1[/QUOTE]

Sorry to T-jack.....but this is how i ended up doing my garage door opener button:
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
simple $7 switch and aluminum bracket, on/off with thumb.

if you want to take it up a notch, add the volt meter.
That is a great little solution, any chance you have a link to where I could get one of those brackets?

Last edited by ghost_; 11-28-2014 at 07:39 AM.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 08:38 AM

And for the lazy rider! I have one of these somewhere around. I need to dig it out.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
i fabbed the brackets myself, it's just 3mm or nominal 1/8" aluminum, very easy using the hand tools you probably already have.

switch: Trail Tech 040-LS-B Black Push Button Light Switch
OK cheers, good job. I'll steal that idea
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 11:33 PM

A clean way to install a switch for lights is to use the signal light cancel as a ground pulse. To activate a relay which will switch your lights on and off. This way you won't even see a switch
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 11:38 PM

Cheap switch from Ebay

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode