Beowulf radiator guard stuffed my radiator - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Beowulf radiator guard stuffed my radiator

Fitted a Beowulf to the Versys back in 2010 and its fine, fitted a Beowulf for the Ninja 1000 in 2011 and it has warn the top left and right edges of radiator away.

My mechanic rang me up and ask if I was sitting down a he said a replacement out of Japan was $1060.00 NZ but he suggested I look on ebay and ended up with a clone version for $165.00 NZ including freight shipped from Hong Kong, so Hong Kong won that battle.

Test ride on new radiator on nice 20 c day around twisty country roads a success.

Last edited by kiwi 41; 11-10-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Phil - did you have a radiator shop look at welding it? My rad on the '09 needed about $43 worth, to stop leaking. (And my leak was caused by a rad. guard that I made up....)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Phil - did you have a radiator shop look at welding it? My rad on the '09 needed about $43 worth, to stop leaking. (And my leak was caused by a rad. guard that I made up....)
My mechanic is someone I trust and we decided due to the wear on both side a multiple holes it may of been possible to repair but no guarantees repair would hold over a longer term so I prefer piece of mind to start again.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hmmm...I have an Evotech, but this type of damage makes me nervous. I'll have to take mine off in the spring (bike is now stored for winter) and check to see if there's anything to worry about there.

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
i made my own guard and now im glad i spaced it a couple inches away from the rad.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 07:13 AM

Garage
The evotech does have spacers and mine has been on there over 25,000 miles with no issues yet. I will be doing a major service this winter so I will add checking it as well.

My Versys Travels:

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 11:50 AM

Garage
Aussie (Coffs Harbour actually) made RadGuard on my bikes, the Versys has 37,000 km on it now no signs of wear on rad http://www.radguard.com.au/

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
I'd made up some plastic spacers for my rad. guard, top and bottom. Where one of them touched is where the leak developed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03320 copy.jpg (83.5 KB, 150 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I've been a member of this forum for a while and never heard of someone damaging a rad from flying debris. I think with the placement it is literally impossible for something big enough to cause serious damage to come off the front tire and hit it, especially with a front fender extender installed. I suspect a some of these rad guard designs, those made of sheet metal with small perforations, also restrict air flow causing the engine to run hotter.

Last edited by twowheels; 11-11-2014 at 04:25 PM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 04:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I've been a member of this forum for a while and never heard of someone damaging a rad from flying debris. I think with the placement it is literally impossible for something big enough to cause serious damage to come off the front tire and hit it, especially with a front fender extender installed. I suspect a some of these rad guard designs made of perforated sheet metal also restrict air flow causing the engine to run hotter.
havent on the V but on my ninja i ran over a strip of metal and it bent up and impaled my rad i dont think a guard would have saved it... just saying it is possible
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
havent on the V but on my ninja i ran over a strip of metal and it bent up and impaled my rad i dont think a guard would have saved it... just saying it is possible
I agree, another solution without a problem. My '12 now has about 10,000 miles to include dirt and gravel roads with no signs of damage.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 05:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
I agree, another solution without a problem. My '12 now has about 10,000 miles to include dirt and gravel roads with no signs of damage.
oh i have no problem with a rad guard (i made my own) i do have a problem with one that damaged what its suppost to protect or causing more then 6X what it cost me to make it myself
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Kawasaki discourages the use of radiator guards on the Versys...if I was doing a lot of gravel or off road time I'd get one...my speeds on those stretches is slow too..I'm more worried about a drop than debris...the fender extender will go on this winter..a very good 35 buck investment...
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 07:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I've been a member of this forum for a while and never heard of someone damaging a rad from flying debris. I think with the placement it is literally impossible for something big enough to cause serious damage to come off the front tire and hit it, especially with a front fender extender installed. I suspect a some of these rad guard designs, those made of sheet metal with small perforations, also restrict air flow causing the engine to run hotter.
And I never thought that something would puncture the condenser on my wife's truck sitting up that high. Glad the condenser is in front of the radiator. We were able to drive 4 hours home with the windows down. The truck now has a new condenser and a grill cover that will keep anything bigger than a dime out.

My Versys Travels:

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 10:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
If you had a RadGuard on that would not have happened
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 02:27 AM

I made up a radiator guard, not to protect from stuff coming off my front wheel but from stuff coming from oncoming traffic. Over many years of riding I've been hit by some fast rocks, including one that left a sizable dent in my fuel tank. That one then bounced onto my knee, and I am very glad it hit the tank first.

This is my first bike with a radiator but that tank-denting stone encouraged me to do this with some intake mesh. It's got plastic car door protector strip top and bottom.

You can help make Clem a household name

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode