Painting the rear coil spring - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Painting the rear coil spring

Could someone let me know how they painted the spring on their rear suspension? I'm considering painting my bike, but can't figure out that piece. The others I can take off easily.

A diamond is just a hunk of coal
that didn't quit under pressure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 09:17 PM

I just did it...It is extremely painful. You have to remove the rear wheel, the swing arm and associated attached stuff. Then after you get the shock out, thats after you've applied about 20 bandaids to your knuckles to stem the bleeding, you need to disassemble that. Having a spring compressor will help, a lot...I used a furniture clamp, which worked OK until it "sprung" out and put a big f****** dent in my truck..Then after you have spent the whole day screwing with that you get to paint the spring...Allow a day to do that...Why? Well its impossible to paint all the degrees the spring makes and do the inside as well in one or two shots, more like 10...But I wish you luck... Oh and be careful getting that swingarm nut loose, I am sure Godzilla had something to do with its torque setting

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 11:00 PM

I took my shock off without removing the rear wheel or the swing arm. First jack up the bike (however you can) until the spring is neither compressed or trying to expand (neutral position) and then the shock can be easily removed. I haven't tried to remove the spring though.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 11:09 PM

Damn Pegasus...Where were you when I was wrenching my back into oblivion trying to get that swingarm off

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Place a car Jack under the exhaust and jack until the spring is at Neutral. Then dismantle both side and you have the entire assembly out. YOu can paint it without removing the spring, which is recommended as you wont screw it up during assembly. i took out the spring to fit lowering kit so its quite safe to place a car jack under the exhaust.the pictures are here in the site somewhere.

Good luck mate and have patience mate.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 07:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to E-nigma
IMO, it seems like a bad idea to use the exhaust as a jacking point.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
E-nigma. I was with the same thought ,but beleive me the Original Exhaust can handle the weight. I put the bike on side stand, secure the front wheel and slightly jack it up, and no problem at all. I used the same jack to lower my front fork to match the Motowerk lowering kit. If you have a Car Jack-screw type just placed under the exhaust and see for yourself...just do it slowly...u will be surprised.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks folks. The repair manual gives instructions for taking off the rear shock without taking off the rear wheel. I'm worried that I'll have to take the spring off the shock to paint it. I'm sure I would do something like Contractor did - except the spring would probably dent my head instead of my truck - which actually would be better because I use the truck sometimes.

What have people's experiences been with painting the spring while on the shock? I'm guessing I'd get a better job if I took it off.

A diamond is just a hunk of coal
that didn't quit under pressure
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 09:18 AM

I too plan on painting my spring because I am painting my red versys and I dont think the red spring will look right with the new color.

In one of the above posts fastoman sais:

"Then dismantle both side and you have the entire assembly out. YOu can paint it without removing the spring, which is recommended as you wont screw it up during assembly."

It sounds like you are suggesting painting the spring while with the shock still inside? If this is possible please explain. Im not saying it cant be done, but im trying to understand how you could get the "inside" surfaces of the spring painted when they are pretty close up against the shock? It seems to me it would be much much easier and turn out better if you took the spring off the shock. You can borrow spring compressors for free from autozone, or buy a cheap set. I know someone mentioned denting their truck, but they werent using the proper tool. Spring compressors are really pretty safe and easy to use.

Ryan
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 11:18 AM

Why wouldn't you remove the spring to paint it? If your going thru the trouble to remove the shock you may as well do it right and remove the spring.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Just don't forget that a spring under compression is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!!!
IF it 'gets loose' it can kill you or someone else! Take the shock to a spring place and pay them to remove it if you don't own a spring compressor!
Then get the old paint bead-blasted off and either 'rattle-can' it, or () have it powder-coated.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 11:58 AM

I fully agree with the media blast and powder coating. If it were my V I was doing this to I would take the whole coil over to a shop and let them take it apart and powder coat it, them reassemble it. Then you just have to reinstall it.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 07:15 PM

I repainted all the silver on my 2008 Versys satin black... and re: the Shock coil - I made a cover for it out of 100mm dia rubber hose and neatly fitted it with a zip tie hidden behind and presto!... looks great and no-one even notices that the shock is not visual until you say something... look at my photo in my profile and you can see how clean it looks.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode