Aux. Light mounts - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Aux. Light mounts

I am planning on mounting some nice LED lights on my bike for night rides.
I want to mount the lights on the fork tubbes just under the lower tripple. I have read that this area is 52mm on the forks.
I have read lots of threads on options on how to mount them, but very few include closeup pics on the actual mounts.
I have read of Pro-Tec steering stabilizer clamps as a mount as well as t-clamps, metal hose clamps, and big zip ties.
I am not against any of these options, just wondering if I can get some pics of the different methods, and what was fabricated.
The Pro tec mounts are nice looking, but around $25+a piece....

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 04:32 PM

I haven't done it myself, but check out this thread.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=59586
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So just a update on the research i have put into looking for my mounts.

The most "techie" option is the Pro-Tec steering stabilizer mount. My problem with these is the price ($25-35 depending on source) and that I need to still have a clean looking way to mount the lights.

Today I found a cheaper($17.xx) option, as well as one that I think will allow me to bolt the light straight to the mount. They are made by a company called Rugged Ridge Offroad. These mounts are designed to attach aux lights to a brush guard, or roll cage on a off road 4x4.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 09:58 AM

I hate to say it but I bet those will bounce like crazy. It may not be the end of the world for you, but bouncy lights are not the best at helping visibility.

2014 Versys ABS
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacucaracha View Post
I hate to say it but I bet those will bounce like crazy. It may not be the end of the world for you, but bouncy lights are not the best at helping visibility.
I have not bought them yet so not a problem.
Just curious though as to why you say they will bounce? When the screw is tightened down tight around the fork tube, it should be a real snug fit, especially when the rubber "gasket" is squished tight in there.
They make them in many sizes. The ones I was looking at are for a 2-2.5" tube. Our forks are 52mm which equals 2.05".
Wgain not telling you are wrong, just trying to understand before I spend $.

08' Versys
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Sheet metal tab anchored on one end + eccentric load = spring
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
Ok. Good to know. My search will continue then.

08' Versys
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Just my preference/opinion... the basic concept is sound, not the execution.
It seems to me that the better mounts like this are cast or extrusions with more strength in the joint between the clamping part & the mounting part.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 05:10 AM

A friend of mine just used u-bolts, one on each fork leg

and drilled 3 holes on an iron bar (4" length x 1" width x 1/4" thick) to replace that thin metal piece pictured with the u-bolt above.

some rubber sheets cut out from tyre inner tubes act as scratch protection, placed between u-bolt and fork.

voila, cheap and usable light mount. mounted on his bike for over a year, no sign of metal fatigue or dropping off.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low

Last edited by andrewhtf; 11-07-2014 at 05:16 AM.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
yeah - it can be helped by using two of them flipped opposite directions
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 11:20 AM

I was in the exact same boat as you Hawk. I'll take pics later and post them. If I recall I used T-clamps, They've worked out well. It took some futzing to get them mounted just right, but they've worked out well and I'm pretty sure were relatively inexpensive.

EDIT: Added Pics

Not necessarily super pretty. One of these pics has the size of the T-Clamp I used. I put some thick double sided tape and an old bicycle inner tube in there so as not to scratch the fork tubes too much. I also had to take my dremel to the threaded bolt for the clamp, because it was too long and the lights wouldn't mount. The short bolt made it hard to get it on, but I got it and it's been super solid since June and done about 70 miles of unpaved road and >4000 miles paved.

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash

Last edited by BaileyMan; 11-08-2014 at 12:20 AM.
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So I decided to gamble that the brackets I posted would be strong enough, as I was struggling to find a alternative.

Today they came in the mail. These are some seriously beefy mounts. They are not made from sheet metal, but thick steal.

In this pic you can see that the metal is nearly twice as thick as a quarter.

Now for the bad....

The description for the size that I bought, says they will fit any tube between 2 and 2.5". The forks on our V's are 52mm or 2.05" right below the lower triple tree.
At the clamps tightest setting it measures over 2.5" across the diameter or the clamp.

I ordered2 of these, and for some reason they shipped separate. The second one is due in tomorrow. If it is the same as the one I currently have then they are obviously going back. I am really hoping that this one was made improperly, as they are very clean looking when on the bike.

08' Versys
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyMan View Post
I was in the exact same boat as you Hawk. I'll take pics later and post them. If I recall I used T-clamps, They've worked out well. It took some futzing to get them mounted just right, but they've worked out well and I'm pretty sure were relatively inexpensive.

EDIT: Added Pics

Not necessarily super pretty. One of these pics has the size of the T-Clamp I used. I put some thick double sided tape and an old bicycle inner tube in there so as not to scratch the fork tubes too much. I also had to take my dremel to the threaded bolt for the clamp, because it was too long and the lights wouldn't mount. The short bolt made it hard to get it on, but I got it and it's been super solid since June and done about 70 miles of unpaved road and >4000 miles paved.

Those look pretty good. I was looking at T-clamps before buying the pieces I did, but couldn't figure out how they would work. I believe I will be returning the Tube clamps I received that are too big and getting pair of these. I just wish they were black or something other than chrome...

08' Versys
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 08:47 AM

Which LED lights are those? Could you please post a link for these lights? Thanks!
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 09:33 AM

T clamps - brilliant

post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 11:00 AM

@Trialsguy: I found them...These are the ones I went with after hours and hours of deliberating. http://mondomotos.com/MM10 $129 for the pair, plus another $10.50 for the handlebar mount. Can't go wrong. The black is starting to fade a little from sun exposure, but it's turning a really nice looking dark bronze color. I like 'em a lot.

@Kohburn: I can't take credit for the t-clamp suggestion. I had no idea they existed before I was looking into mounting my lights, but happy to pass on ideas from others!

2011 Imperial Red

Last edited by BaileyMan; 11-14-2014 at 11:07 AM.
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 11:08 AM

Those look almost identical to these.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...rk-light/1386/

@BaileyMan, do you have any pictures of how the mounting tab connects to the light housing? It looks to be TWO small screws that go in through the bottom of the tab.

I keep buying crappy ebay lights and the weak point is always the tiny like 4mm bolt which holds the whole thing on.

2014 Versys ABS
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 11:11 AM

Also: Here are some interesting mounting options, although it looks like the sizes are a bit off.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ab/Accessories

2014 Versys ABS
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacucaracha View Post
Those look almost identical to these.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...rk-light/1386/

@BaileyMan, do you have any pictures of how the mounting tab connects to the light housing? It looks to be TWO small screws that go in through the bottom of the tab.

I keep buying crappy ebay lights and the weak point is always the tiny like 4mm bolt which holds the whole thing on.
The ones I have do look pretty identical to those. They may be the exact same light that they both sourced from the same supplier. They mount exactly like they do in the picture on the Super Bright LED website. They've been pretty solid. I put them on in June or so before a 3000 mile trip that included about 100 miles of maintained dirt forest roads. They've held up with no problems.

2011 Imperial Red
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyMan View Post
@Kohburn: I can't take credit for the t-clamp suggestion. I had no idea they existed before I was looking into mounting my lights, but happy to pass on ideas from others!
I've used them for clamping charge pipes on turbocharged cars/trucks including my m35 deuce. somehow that idea just hadn't crossed my mind.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode