Black Wheels/Rims.... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Black Wheels/Rims....

Just wondering...I would like to change out my Silver wheels for Black ones...but the OEM Wheels at the dealership are pretty steep in price. Does anyone know of any deals out there for the cost on Black Versys Wheels. Has anybody Painted them black. Im a little concerned that if I have them painted that the shop cost for me to have them removed and then put back on, along with the painting would cost more than the OEM wheels. This may not be a cost effective venture but I thought I would get some feedback from all of you and to see if someone else has done the same thing. Thanks for any help you can give.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 07:52 PM

You could keep your eyes on ebay for salvaged parts.
I'm not sure if ER6 wheels would be a drop in replacement since the Versys has a different suspension.

If you turn around and sell your silver wheels after buying the black ones you shouldnt be out too many clams.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 08:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy007 View Post
Im a little concerned that if I have them painted that the shop cost for me to have them removed and then put back on, along with the painting would cost more than the OEM wheels.
There is a really good Sticky in Technical on how to remove and re-install your wheels.

If you change your rubber at the same time there would be no cost for the removal / re-install.

Cheers

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 09:10 PM

This guy painted his silver wheels black.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...painted+wheels

I will be painting mine black in the very near future.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 11:08 PM

Wonder what kind of prep work he did. You think he sanded them all the way down to bare metal?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 03:15 AM

Although it is a noble thing to try to improve one's hobby toys, one has to consider the idea of value of that improvement.

first, is changing the color of your rims adding to the function of the bike?

is the cost worth the benefit when you are actually riding the thing?

When you sell the thing, people do not take well to customizing of structure and paint... they may think that it is a chop shop crashed bike that you are trying to hide the imperfections with new paint.

maybe better tires would be a better value?

just my 2 sents...
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 04:51 PM

I purchased my bike (toy) to have fun with (not as an investment). I have seen the Versys with black rims from the factory so how could this destroy of defile my bike, if you cant paint your rims properly, don't do it yourself...seek professional help.

JMO
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 06:54 PM

Black rims will always show dirt and chips. They will never be clean, ever. I've had them on my '03 ST1300 and I will never buy another bike with black rims.

Your bike, your call.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
2003 ST1300ABS (SOLD 5/15)
IBA 59868
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 07:41 PM

Let me restate my last posting.., and remember that it is only an opinion.

If you are thinking of PAYING someone to remove and paint your rims, I think you are wasting your money that could be used for much better HARDWARE improvements.

If you want to experiment and do it yourself, and the only cost is your time and cans of spray paint, then... go to town and enjoy yourself!!

I would recommend removal of tires and cleaning with rubbing alcohol.
then 2 coats of black primer, and then 3 coats of black semi-gloss 500 degree engine enamel (or glossy). I like semigloss myself. the total of 5 coats should be put on about 15-20 minutes apart during ONE work period for the paint layers to fuse well..... this is as per the directions on the paint can.

My reasoning against painting is that the V is such a new bike model, that it is a shame to corrupt the beauty of newness of the bike with customizing at such a young age.

If you had a an older bike, then experiment to your heart's content.

good luck.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 07:57 PM

I would have to agree on the painting process, its very simple to do it yourself, but would have to disagree about the looks of black rims not being as nice.

not my bike, it belongs to another member: WillieFlo

Last edited by tragerbon; 01-31-2010 at 10:41 PM.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 10:19 PM

To each his/her own.

Tragerbon, looks NICE.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 11:12 PM

I have black rims on my 09 (stock) and I have to agree with those who recommend against this mod. I like the way it looks clean but it is almost impossible to keep that way. I recently went on a charity ride with an adv group here in Tulsa where we spent about half the ride on dirt and mud farm roads. That was three weeks ago, I have cleaned the bike thoroughly three times since and still haven't got the wheels looking good. I don't know if the dirt was scratched into the finish of the wheels or what but it is not coming off. If you take your bike off road at all, I would recommend against the black finish. Take that for what it is worth. Have fun with your mods! J.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks.....

Thanks to everyone on there ideas and thoughts about turning my silver wheels into black wheels. Im now starting to have second thoughts on it. Not sure its going to be worth the hassle. Between cost and time I think I may just hold off for now. Ive done quite a lot so far to the bike....just a couple of more things and it should be done...at least for now. Hopefully soon I can post some pics for everyone to see. Again thanks to everyone for there help....this forum rocks.:
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 08:20 PM

Yeah, I bought mine with black rims....intentionally!!!

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD

Last edited by CJBROWN; 02-06-2010 at 08:22 PM.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 09:58 PM

I like it !!!
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 09:53 AM

I like my stock black rims but I wouldn't go to the trouble of painting the stock silver rims to have black.

Whether black, silver or chrome wheels they all get dirty, some are just easier to clean than others. The chrome wheels on my H-D are the easiest to clean, the uncoated alloy wheels on the Gold Wing are probably the hardest to keep clean.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 12:37 PM

A few bikes ago I had a 900rr with the polished frame and wheels, it was a very sweet looking bike but the smallest water puddle or sprinkle of rain and I would have to spend hours cleaning up that thing, I would never go that route again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode