Screen Options - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Screen Options

I am looking for a good screen solution for my 2013 Kawasaki Versys. I am just under 6 feet (5 feet 11.5 inches). I think present screen setup is at position 1. I am going to try Position 3 if that works for me. I really like the shortish screen which kinda goes with its looks. However, reading through some prior experience on the internet, it looks like getting a MRA screen might be better?

I would like to know if someone similar to my height has played around with the OEM screen with any success? If not, what screen options do you think are really worth considering? I will really not prefer the longer/taller ones. I dont have too much money to experiment as I also need the money to buy a slip on exhaust. Might have to start another thread on the exhaust

I presently have a Shark Vision R S2 helmet which is quiet however at highway speeds in excess of 80 KM/HR creates a lot of buffetting because of the screen! Scary stuff!

Looking for forward your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

Bump. Anyone?
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsy View Post
I am looking for a good screen solution for my 2013 Kawasaki Versys. I am just under 6 feet (5 feet 11.5 inches). I think present screen setup is at position 1. I am going to try Position 3 if that works for me. I really like the shortish screen which kinda goes with its looks. However, reading through some prior experience on the internet, it looks like getting a MRA screen might be better?

I would like to know if someone similar to my height has played around with the OEM screen with any success? If not, what screen options do you think are really worth considering? I will really not prefer the longer/taller ones. I dont have too much money to experiment as I also need the money to buy a slip on exhaust. Might have to start another thread on the exhaust

I presently have a Shark Vision R S2 helmet which is quiet however at highway speeds in excess of 80 KM/HR creates a lot of buffetting because of the screen! Scary stuff!

Looking for forward your help.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 08:27 AM

Sorry but I was trying to send a reply from my iPhone and hit the reply button by mistake. There are a lot of threads here that go through screens from a to z. But in response I had the MRA Vario Tourscreen. It really looked nice on the Versys. But that was about all it did...looked nice. I switched to a Zero Gravity screen. It's okay but not much better than the MRA.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
rugsy... I'm also in Sydney... we can meet up maybe at Olympic Park this Saturday @the Learner Training area 1pm and you can try my Kawasaki Tall screen (made by MRA) as it does not work for me (6'4" and buffeting). I have a Madstad 20in Sports screen now - it's like a force field!

Last edited by Gigitt; 10-22-2014 at 09:38 AM.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 12:06 PM

I have the MRA screen. I am only 5'8" but the screen does a great job of keeping the air pressure off my chest and head. The adjustable outer shield can be moved to adjust airflow. This works great in the rain you can adjust it down enough to hit right in the visor area to shed the water off your helmet shield. I have a 2010. I think for your height you will need a taller overall windshield.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Sleighman; 10-22-2014 at 12:09 PM.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for your replies unclebuck, gigitt and sleighman.
Gigitt will send you a PM shortly.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 05:09 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Givi D410ST

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 06:21 PM

Your Welcome and good luck.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

Update: A big thanks to Gigitt for helping me. We tried with the MRA screen branded as Kawasaki but did not help me. There was some wind buffeting and head bobbing. We then adjusted the stock screen to Position 3 and I did a short ride post this. I will be riding and making my observations and will update in a week's time.

Last edited by rugsy; 10-28-2014 at 05:29 AM.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 05:28 AM Thread Starter

Update: I have gone ahead and ordered a powerbronze flip touring screen. Its 15 inches tall and 12.5 inches wide. I thought that should be OK. This is kind of a trial. I don't know exactly if it will work hard to say but had to try it.

Hope it works

Last edited by rugsy; 10-28-2014 at 05:31 AM.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Just for reference...

Kawasaki Tall Screen Made by MRA is:

Height: 340-375mm (13.38-14-76in) (it has lower cutout with Dracula teeth)
Wide: 345mm (13.58in)
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 04:24 PM

Rugsy, please keep us posted on the Powerbronze Flip Screen. I'm your height and lurking screen threads. I had the "Laminar Lip" for my 250 dual sport. The lip (flip) did an amazing job for such a small screen and I always attributed it to the lip.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I've got a Puig 5255 screen on my second generation Versys...I'm 5'9 and have a Sargent's lower seat and Motowerks lowering link...I have the screen set at the low position and it does wonders for wind protection at all speeds...there is some "flex" at the top of the screen at higher speeds..80mph+..but that hasn't bothered me much...the funny looking lower wings are suppposed to be hand protectors...they do block some of the wind on the hands..not all...the screen isn't the cheapest one on the market..but I'm very satisfied...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front 2014.jpg (103.5 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg left rear 2014.jpg (61.8 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg rightside 2014 (300x218).jpg (51.5 KB, 116 views)

Last edited by chadams66; 10-30-2014 at 08:28 PM.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 04:21 AM Thread Starter

The new screen is on its way can't wait to try it. I did a small ride on the motorway at speed of 90 KM/HR with the stock screen at Position 3. Below are my observations:

If I have my vents in my helmet shut, there seems to be slight head bobbing (My explanation/feeling of head bobbing: Helmet shakes/vibrates and because of this I can't see very clearly).

This slight head bobbing goes away when I open my helmet vents which makes me guess that the wind is hitting the top of helmet. I also feel the wind blast at my chest and attribute it to the short screen.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 04:28 AM Thread Starter

@Gatorfan: Sure will do. Theory suggested that the powerbronze flip screen should be good (flip to lift the air a bit higher)

Reality would tell if that theory holds Cheers
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 10:49 AM

I love the powerbronze flip I got on my 14. I've only had it for like 2 months but it's a big improvement. It doesn't look huge and silly, either. It could be a tad wider, and it isn't perfect in traffic directly behind a car, but it's way better than the stocker.

2014 Versys ABS
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 12:07 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsy View Post
@Gatorfan: Sure will do. Theory suggested that the powerbronze flip screen should be good (flip to lift the air a bit higher)
Or created turbulence which adds noise. ??????
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorfan View Post
Or created turbulence which adds noise. ??????
Not sure about it. I will let you know my view as I get the new screen.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 05:11 AM Thread Starter

Update: I got the new Powerbronze screen Yay!!!

It looks pretty alright in terms of its build. And its just like the OEM screen but quite taller.

I fit the screen straight on at Position 3 and it looked quite tall to me. Attached are some of the pics. I actually like the looks as it is not too tall and not too short.

I then went for a short test ride on the Motorway @ 90Km/hr and realized that I was riding straight into the wind. Good to test and was disappointed. The screen was creating quite a bit of head bobbing and I could feel slight pressure of wind hitting my helmet at the top. I also think the flip is creating a bit of turbulence and is adding the wind noise.

On my return there was very little wind on the Motorway and it felt alright. So I am a bit with a mixed feeling. Hard to say and express IMO.

If at all I can deflect the wind to hit the helmet's visor and not the top of the helmet I think that would solve the head bobbing issue. I am tempted to try Position 2 and want to see if that angle helps.

Your thoughts will help...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20141106_172434.jpg (44.0 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20141106_172440.jpg (48.2 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20141106_172447.jpg (37.0 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20141106_172503.jpg (34.1 KB, 109 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode