Installing Powermadd Handguards - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Installing Powermadd Handguards

Just wanted to post some pictures on the install of the PowerMadd Star handguards on a Versys. Everything is pretty self explanatory. The hardest part is getting the controls loose so you can fit the Universal Mounting Kit on the bars, which is not hard at all. It should take about 25-35 minutes to do from opening the box to the couch. Total cost was $65.97 with shipping included. Was ordered from DennisKirk.com and the part numbers are; Universal Handguard Mounting Kit (for ATV) – Part# 61-5962 ($23.99) and Star Handguards – Part# 61-6515 ($33.99). These pictures are just for reference, they show the clearance of all the parts and how they look with and without the inserts installed,plus there is about inch of clearance between the handguard and the windscreen which is the factory windscreen just turned upside down. I have not had a chance to test these handguards but will report on them as soon as I can. Post any questions and I will be glad to answer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Guard Frontside With Insert.jpg (53.9 KB, 576 views)
File Type: jpg Guard Frontside Without Insert.jpg (61.2 KB, 355 views)
File Type: jpg Front View.jpg (53.0 KB, 2365 views)
File Type: jpg Left Bar.jpg (49.0 KB, 616 views)
File Type: jpg Right Bar.jpg (51.0 KB, 422 views)
File Type: jpg Left Position.jpg (45.6 KB, 371 views)
File Type: jpg Right Position.jpg (40.0 KB, 538 views)
File Type: jpg Left Clearance.jpg (64.1 KB, 376 views)
File Type: jpg Right Clearance.jpg (50.9 KB, 367 views)

Last edited by Lilerd; 01-23-2010 at 08:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 08:07 PM

I tried the Powermadd on my V with Mike's tall touring shield and they didn't work. I went with KTM guards and I'm happy. The Powermadds went on my 71 Kawi G4.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 08:02 AM

Great pictures! Guards look really cool.
I was thinking about going with the Acerbis Dual Road because they are so easy to install and look badass, but after seeing this post, I may give these a go at half the cost.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 07:15 PM

Any results yet on these - working out well?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonNoc View Post
Any results yet on these - working out well?
Well so far they are holding down paper on my desk really well... It's been to cold to go out to my shed to install them. It might warm up to 28 this weekend, so I'll perhaps give it a go.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 07:56 AM

Garage
Nice and simple to install

Do you think that in case of an impact, they will protect your hand ?

LOP
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Tested

I finally got out to test them. They work very good at keeping the wind off of your hands. I wore my summer gloves and my hands were not getting cold before everything else like usual, it was about 40 F out side when I rode. Haven't had them in the rain yet. I do think I will get the larger inserts for them next time I order something from Dennis Kirk. I don't think they would offer any protection in a crash. They are very stable and don't move around. The only down side it that the mirrors are even closer to the center than before. Guess I will have to get the mirror extenders.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilerd View Post
The only down side it that the mirrors are even closer to the center than before. Guess I will have to get the mirror extenders.
-- This is something I failed to think about. Fortunately I have purchased the extenders already and will install them at the same time as the handguards. I saw another post that says you need to put a spacer on one side (Ithink the right) in order to get the extender and the handguard to work together.

I don't think these would offer much impact they would offer much of protection, unless it's bugs or small twigs. That's not why I got them though. They are one of a few things I have bought only because I think they look cool. The other two things are going to be clear markers and perhaps reflective rim tape.

Can't wait to get these babies put on!

Last edited by Mawson; 01-31-2010 at 02:33 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 02:33 PM

Installed hand guards yesterday. VERY easy.
They look great, and I assume keep some wind off my hands. I wasn't about to take off my gloves yesterday and see the difference when I rode the bike. It was 20 degrees out there. Too damn cold. But hey, I got to ride in January. First ride of the year.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 09:45 PM

I have them since the end of summer. Good, inexpensive, and easy to install. There is a clearance issue with the Givi vario widnshield at full lock. Worked around it by leaving the handguard bracket lose enough so I can push it down and out of the way of the windshield. When I'm ready to go I just pull the handguard up into the correct position. It's pretty good at keeping wind, rain ,and specially hail off your hands. Unfortunately it was tested in all conditions. When it's cold it does help but still need a good pair of heavy gloves.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawson View Post
-- This is something I failed to think about. Fortunately I have purchased the extenders already and will install them at the same time as the handguards. I saw another post that says you need to put a spacer on one side (Ithink the right) in order to get the extender and the handguard to work together.
I had that issue on mine. On my 2008, the mirror perch seems to be lower than on the later models, and the mirror extenders on the clutch side wouldn't clear the bar. I just ended up getting some washers to raise the extender high enough to clear the bar for the guard.

When I visited the dealership, I checked the 2009 model, and it appeared to have a higher perch for the mirror.

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode