Great Basin™ Saddlebag by Giant Loop; Soft luggage solution - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Great Basin™ Saddlebag by Giant Loop; Soft luggage solution

Hello fellas,

I came upon this today and find it interesting so I thought I may share:

"The Great Basin Saddlebag by Giant Loop is the latest addition to our growing family of motorcycle luggage solutions. Designed specifically for BMWs, Suzuki V-Strom, KTM 950, 990, Adventure and SE models, 690e, Kawasaki KLR 650 – and just about any other machine with the capacity to carry a passenger – the Great Basin™ is our soft luggage problem solver for adventure touring bikes. And yes, it fits most sport and sport touring bikes too, including Ducati, Honda and more."

http://www.giantloopmoto.com/collect...asin-saddlebag
http://www.giantloopmoto.com/

The Great Basin and Coyote saddlebags have been in production for less then a year now and it seems they are extremely popular with the ADV members. All I found were more then positive reviews.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 06:30 AM

On Versys?

It would be interesting to see what this product looked like on a Versys. This company is very good to deal with according to some of my friends who have purchased this exact product.

Mr. Pete----->
aging hippie
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

I have contacted Dave from Giant Loop and he said that both the saddlebag and the tank bag fit the Versys fine.

No luck finding pictures or someone who fitted it to V. yet...

I'm not very keen on hard bags and one more plus for this system is that is transferable to you next/other bike.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 09:03 PM

The GB looks like a great bag, but at $399 for 50 liters, it's pretty pricey. The Bags Connection Racepack http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...tview/916/340/ holds more and costs less.

A diamond is just a hunk of coal
that didn't quit under pressure
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

This hasn't sparked much interest but here are my first impressions and a few pictures of this bag:

I admit it's very pricy but I've hit a bit of lottery and decided to treat myself.
I have no regrets about doing so, it really is a nice product. Very well made of what appears to be good quality materials. It sits on the V. perfectly and it takes about 30 seconds to install and secure. It's declared 50l capacity and I almost don't have enough earthly possessions to fill it up. I'm carrying winter gear in 40℃ heat just because I can.
What is most important - it's the type of gear i love: one that you put on and completely forget about it. It just stays there and does its thing.
I've gone up to 140km/h with it and there is nothing to report actually - rock solid.
I haven't gotten it dirty or wet yet, we'll see how that goes.

Inside:

I stuffed it with some pillows to show the shape:

Cheers.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 10:50 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to buffamazon
Interesting idea. My soft bags were cheap and I really hate the way they look, but they work so I can't justify buying anything new quite yet when there are other more 'functional' mods I could do. Let us know how they wear!

09 Versys In Go-Fast Green
Acerbis Pro Pack Handguards
Ogio Tailbag
Ogio Saddlebags
Vortex 44T Sprocket
Wolo Bad Boy Air horn
Trackside 12 volt power adaptor
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 09:20 PM

That bag looks good. I am debating getting the Coyote bag for my 690 KTM, and was hoping to use that on a Versys as well.

Looks like the larger Great Basin bag sits on there very nicely. I know I can't afford to get both the Great Basin and Coyote!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
"ThermoBob" Bill sells them too.
http://watt-man.xanga.com/

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 07:54 PM

I am intrigued.

I have Givi racks but no bags on my V, and with the cost of the Givi stuff, I'm not sure I want to spend the money on something which is fundamentally perma-mounted to my bike. I could have something like this and move it from the V to my scooter and back without a lot of fuss.

Been wanting to install a fender eliminator on the V and this would be seamless integration.

And I could sell the Givi racks, too.

Hmmmm.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

As I said before, only gripe about this product is the price. Everything else is excellent.
You are buying a product that is (probably) worth that much. You aren't paying premium for a brand name or fashion.

Some positive sides of this set-up:

- Transferable to almost any bike. You won't have to sell it with the bike or separately and lose money in depreciation.
- Will accommodate a lot of stuff. Almost too much for a day or two of riding close to home.
- Narrow. I can lane-split almost as it's not there.
- Comes with 5 separate bags/compartments witch keep things organized. You would have to get these separately for other saddle or duffle bags.
- There are reports from people who low-sided with the bag at 50-60km/h and it was almost unharmed.

Some other things to consider:

- The bag is heavy on it's own (my guess 2kg) and can be (depending on what you pack) a nuisance to lug around after every ride. You either take all your stuff with you (witch I like) or leave it all on the bike.
- A bit vulnerable if left unattended as anybody could take it or open it.
- I haven't tested water-proofnes, but I know it's not submergible or infinitely water-resistent.
- You can't put stickers on it.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I like it. If i find i still need more storage this will be the route i'll go.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 09:09 PM

Nice bag but I have the Givi E52 top box which I transfer from bike to bike. The way I look at it, if it doesn't fit in that box I don't take it. After all, I'm not going to the moon. If I need something I just pull into my nearest "big box" store. Sorry to say, they're everywhere. Travelled round the country in this fashion.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 09:25 PM

I watched some of the videos on the Giant Loop website. The one which was informative was the one with the guy who had the bag on the FZ6R.

I'm really thinking hard about this now.

Wonder what I could get for my Givi racks?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 10:22 PM

Thanks for bringing this product to my attention Ivan V, it's a great luggage solution for the Versys and what makes it especially appealing for me is that it will drop right onto my other bike as well. A two bike solution makes it all the more economical.

I got mine mounted this morning and took a couple hundred mile test ride this afternoon. A very well designed and highly functional piece of equipment

Oregon coast

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode