Versys 'GT' top case mount queries - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question Versys 'GT' top case mount queries

Hi folks,

Just got a new '09 Versys 'GT' ( I think it's called here in the UK). It has a fancier screen, side cases and side case mounts integrated with the pillion grab handles. This is Givi equipment badged as Kawasaki.

I want to fit a top case as the panniers are too wide for filtering in city traffic and I need to carry papers etc, securely and out of the weather. However the standard Givi monorack arms that I ordered don't fit with the side case mounts, at least as far as I can see.

Has anyone got a solution to this? That is without spending money on different side case mounts? (I can see a fair amount of traffic has passed on luggage topics but I didn't find this particular problem).

Thanks, Trophysport72

(Due to snow here in Scotland I haven't even ridden the bike yet (we can usually ride most of the winter here)).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 06:40 PM

if you bought the Givi top box rails 447FZ + appropriate M5X mounting plate it will work with the givi pannier rack. its a to fit. you do need to use a bit of brute force, or a mate to hold the racks together, you need to be a bit creative to get the top box rack to fit and tighten it all up.

IIRC the M5m is for the monolock, the M5 is for a monokey top box, but check with the dealer I may have the M5M & M5 mixed up.

http://www.givi.co.uk/My-motorcycle/...sys-650-06--09
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 08:40 PM

I just did what you want if I understand you? The FZ447 would not bolt straight up for me with the side racks installed. I had to use slightly smaller (quarter inch) bolts than the ones provided to connect the 2 adapter plated together loosely and use the bolts to pull everything together. It was a real wrestling match to get it all together. The rear support for the arms winds up directly behind the rear bag rack "down" bar. It has to be "fiddled" with and cannot be fully tightened using a screwdriver while tightening the nut on the back side, but you can get it made up enough to engage the locking nut. Really a POOR design by Givi.
I suspect the racks for the regular "E" type bags instead of the PLX racks for the 35s would fit together a lot better.

Last edited by jcctx; 01-15-2010 at 08:44 PM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I will try a bit of 'brute force' and 'wrestling' as recommended. And, hey, the snow's gone after four weeks!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 05:14 PM

Top Box

hey there

You would think that if Kawasaki wanted a tourer then they would have made sure that all 3 boxes would fit onto one frame? No brainer really!

Anyways I have the same issue. At present I only have the side panniers as I need them to carry stuff for work.

However I had a welder mate of mine have a look at the top box frame and the side frame for the panniers and he reckons he can join the two together. We are hoping to have a go at it whilst the weather is poor here in Scotland.

Not being a welder myself I did not understand the ins and outs however...

It is the hand rails on both frames that are in the same place which prevent both frames being attached at the same time. Think the plan is to remove the set off the top box and then join the top frame to the side frames.

Also watch out for the rear indicators as when I had the panniers added, the supplier had to add extension thingys.

Clear as mud? If we get the work done I'll post the picts.

Cheers

Beakhar

PS where did you bike the Versys?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakhar View Post
Also watch out for the rear indicators as when I had the panniers added, the supplier had to add extension thingys.
the Givi/OEM pannier kit usually comes with a pair of brackets that relocate the indicators. I found I had to extend the wiring for the left indicator as the alarm was in the way
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 06:31 PM

top case rack choices

I've heard the SW Moto makes a good top rack as well as Hepco and Becker. can anyone give some of the advantages of one over the other? I wonder if there's a way to mount a backrest to the H&B. It doesn't have a flat plate like the SW Moto. I'm still not sure if I'll add a topcase, may just go with soft luggage strapped to the rack.

SW Moto http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...9&d=1230742805

Hepco & Becker
http://www.amotostuff.com/Merchant2/...2505%2001%2001
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 12:55 PM

i also have the (GT) called traveller over here
and i to whas looking for a rear top rack but not for a case just some extra room for a tent and sleepingbag and i think 155 euro's for a rack that you have to force on to fit is a bit much
so my plan is to make a simple frame that mounts on the bottom of the seat
about 25, 30cm long just hope the seat is strong enough

i will be following this tread maybe there are better ideas
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavamanz View Post
I've heard the SW Moto makes a good top rack as well as Hepco and Becker. can anyone give some of the advantages of one over the other? I wonder if there's a way to mount a backrest to the H&B. It doesn't have a flat plate like the SW Moto. I'm still not sure if I'll add a topcase, may just go with soft luggage strapped to the rack.

SW Moto http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...9&d=1230742805

Hepco & Becker
http://www.amotostuff.com/Merchant2/...2505%2001%2001
without some butchery the SW motech rack will not fit with the Givi Pannier rails, whether you can butcher the SW Motech Top Box I dunno.. if you are creative with the a welder it may well work. I don't know about the H&B.

perhaps I over egged the 'force' required for assembling the Givi top box and pannier rails. Im used to more more engineered 'fitted' approach, IE everything fits easily, easy to assemble and so on. bearing in mind that the the mounting plates are adapters to a more standard Givi part. it mayalso go part way as to why Givi don't do all the luggage for Kawasaki, as possibly K didn't want the problems to reflect on them.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 07:25 PM

I have the Givi 447 racks and Kawi side cases (which are Givi V35's). It was a PITA to fit on the bike for sure. I have also noticed that the little piece of black plastic over the tail light is being forced out of allignment with the rest of the body work the way it is mounted. For those who dont already know this, Kawi opted to make this a very difficult bike to tour on... They had SWM make the rear rack and top case in their accessories catalog and Givi make the paniers and racks system for them. But neither of these can be used together!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 01:39 PM

Here is photo FZ447 + original kawasaki side rack.It was very hard to fit FZ447 with side rack.
So i have cut from this holder - you can see it on second picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000945.jpg (197.7 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg P1000946.jpg (248.3 KB, 269 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode