Reflective/Conspicuity Tape - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Reflective/Conspicuity Tape

Has anyone seen/found Reflective tape that is Black during the day and reflects Orange or Red at night?

I saw a blurp a few weeks back in one of the online Motorcycle sites but can't seem to find it again.

I have found the Black by day white by night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 08:43 AM

NOT the same thing but...

I was looking at paints the other day and saw a can of spray paint that goes on like a clear coat, but is reflective at night. I have never seen it used, but I am very curious about it.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 09:40 AM

Reflective Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack2of3 View Post
Has anyone seen/found Reflective tape that is Black during the day and reflects Orange or Red at night?

I saw a blurp a few weeks back in one of the online Motorcycle sites but can't seem to find it again.

I have found the Black by day white by night.
I've never seen a thread like you are describing, not have I seen any tape like your description. But it would be nice to try it. Here are two links to where I get my reflective stuff, including chevrons and a full page that I can cut to any form I want.
http://www.colebrothers.com/reflective/
http://www.reflectivedecals.com/chevrons.htm

Maybe if you wrote to these people they could help you find what your looking for.
Let us know if you find it please.

2005 50cc scooter, 2007 GS500f, 2008 DL650 Vstrom,
I'm here for my wife's V . She lets me Farkle her Ride. No Diamonds for her, but shiney stuff for the bike is Okay
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 02:14 PM

I haven't seen those, but I used the black sheets that shine white, along with white and red reflective tape.

If my computer is on, you can see:
http://www.tontodonato.com/images/Lo...Reflectors.jpg

Tony
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 02:50 PM

The material you're talking about comes in pre-cut kits called Tailbrights. I've seen "universal" kits that you cut to shape. These to leave what appears like a dull film on whatever you attach them to. They do shine white at night.

FWIW, using white DOT-grade reflector adds a good measure of daytime visibility, too, especially when attached to black parts and at outboard points on your bike. I have stripes on the panniers of my ST and my V. Make a paper template to get the shape you want and cut the DOT reflector to that shape. Make a mirror image for the other side. You can get red/white strips at Wally World or a truck stop for cheap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
2003 ST1300ABS (SOLD 5/15)
IBA 59868
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

I better restate the subject.
I am looking for Black during the day and then reflects Red or Orange at night.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Sorry, that I've never seen.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
2003 ST1300ABS (SOLD 5/15)
IBA 59868
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
I wrote two companies, one responded with a 'NO' , hoping for luck with the other. If I find something I'll post it here.
Would be nice to have , goes good with the red V.

I'm here for my wife's V . She lets me Farkle her Ride. No Diamonds for her, but shiney stuff for the bike is Okay
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 07:58 PM

3m makes a black reflective tape that shows up reflective white at nite
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 08:20 PM

Hi Jack2of3,

Not sure about the red/orange at night but try asking http://www.streetglo.net/reflective....frame.kit.html.

Came across this at http://www.identi-tape.com/gaffer.htm#fluorescent.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 09:23 AM

I have the 3M black reflective tape on thet back of my side cases and I had it on my case guards until they were replaced. It works really well, but what I got didn't stick to plastic all that well so I added some really good doublesided tape to it.

Try this link. http://www.bikerhiway.com/reflective...292_70_33.html

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 09:31 AM

[QUOTE=Jack2of3;64625]I better restate the subject.
I am looking for Black during the day and then reflects Red or Orange at night.[/QUOTE]

NO luck !!! Two companies have written back - no-one has heard of such a tape.......... so far..

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 10:19 AM

That I have never heard of...all of the black reflective tape I have seen reflects white.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
Would be nice to have , goes good with the red V.
During the day it will show black anyway, and at night I'd think you want to be more visible than fashionably color-coordinated...
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretbek View Post
During the day it will show black anyway, and at night I'd think you want to be more visible than fashionably color-coordinated...
I agree with you !! I have some nicely cut black on the V right now, on the sides, next to the light, luggage rack, and some chevrons. It's really nice to see the bike shine like that at night, and I added extra led light strips for the rear blinkers and brake lights.
But black that shows as red would be nice as well. Some added high-lites. Girls do it all the time with their hair and the guys love it.

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 12:41 PM

can't speak for the legislation in you rneck of the woods
however in the UK, and I suspect the res of the EU specific colours, sorry colors, can only be used in certain circumstances

you may want to check what your parasites, sorry legislators, have mandated. its not that long ago the Kawasaki had to recall the Givi panniers because the fit of the panniers obscured or otherwise compromised the orange side reflectors in the US.

however IU'd caution anyone thinking that by adding reflective tape makes you accident proof. if it makes you feel safer and more comfortable.. go for it. in many situations the cager doesn't see you becuase of other factors such as road position, light arrangement, and so on.

just as wearing a reflective jacket doesn't make a building site worker any safer, except for very limited circumstances. however its labelled as protective or safety gear even though it isn't. Im not pishing on yur parade, do what makes you feel safe, what makes you feel comfortable, but treat it as an adjunct or extension of what really really has a major affect your riding skills and your awareness of what is out there.

at times a bit of paranoia may not be a bad thing.. they are out there, they can be out to get you.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

All good points regarding safety. My primary purpose for wanting the RED or ORANGE reflection is it will look cool on my OEM trunk and RED or ORANGE reflecting from the rear of the bike "might" be safer than WHITE reflecting from the rear towards an oncoming vehicle (for them anyway).
Regardless as healdem says it is not a substitute for alert safe driviing.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by healdem View Post

however IU'd caution anyone thinking that by adding reflective tape makes you accident proof.
just as wearing a reflective jacket doesn't make a building site worker any safer, except for very limited circumstances. however its labelled as protective or safety gear even though it isn't. Im not pishing on yur parade, do what makes you feel safe, what makes you feel comfortable, but treat it as an adjunct or extension of what really really has a major affect your riding skills and your awareness of what is out there.

at times a bit of paranoia may not be a bad thing.. they are out there, they can be out to get you.
Hmmmmm - Many of the so-called "SAFETY" features we now have in America are because idiots . For instance, even if I shoveled the walkway infront of my house, which belongs to the City, a pedestrian who slips and bruises their ars can sue me. Not the City. The legal system and lawyers protect the Stupid !! That's why all the safety gear today.
I myself will do what I can to be seen on a motorcycle, and I will ride defensivly looking ahead expecting that IDIOT infront of me to cut me off and the use the blinker. At night I will just have to ride a little slower and pray that the blind mothers won't run me over at an intersection.
Reflective tape - cool looking or an added safety feature will hopefully keep us alive longer.
If you think it's a waste you shouldn't be riding. Stay home, if you go out a bird might poop on you, who could you sue to make a law that birds may not fly over residential areas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode