Thermometer add-on - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thermometer add-on

I like knowing when the temperature near the road surface starts to get near freezing, so I bought a thermometer at FrozenCPU.com.

It turns out that it wants 5V in, not 12V, so I hooked up a voltage regulator (LM7805, a whopping $1.59 at Radioshack) and for good measure added some capacitors to filter the signal. Adding the capacitors might be overdoing it, so then you only need the dinky little 7805.

Here is what I conjured up:

After that picture was taken, I put electrical tape around each separate leg of the 7805 to prevent short circuits and I bolted 2 pieces of scrap aluminum to the top to function as a heatsink. The 7805 dissipates the energy from the voltage drop as heat.
Don't know if the heatsink is needed either, but I thought it is easier to do now than have to add it later. I even put some Arctic Silver in between the plates, that I had left over from a CPU install a year ago.

I will post pics again after I install the thermometer in my dash.

As you can see it reads in Celsius, but since I was born and raised in the Netherlands I am quite comfortable reading that. Moreover, you simply need to start paying attention when the number drops near 0. You can tell it is not very warm in my garage.

Last edited by Pretbek; 01-09-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 08:12 PM

nice DIY mod, Pretbek. you probably don't need the 7805, probably could just use a zener, though with a 7805 you could have a nice 5v outlet somewhere on your dash for electronic stuff....and you're right, you don't need the caps. I use an battery powered aquarium thermometer with the probe epoxied to the radiator, also a easy mod. the batteries usually last years when you have an on/off switch.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomla View Post
nice DIY mod, Pretbek. you probably don't need the 7805, probably could just use a zener, though with a 7805 you could have a nice 5v outlet somewhere on your dash for electronic stuff....and you're right, you don't need the caps. I use an battery powered aquarium thermometer with the probe epoxied to the radiator, also a easy mod. the batteries usually last years when you have an on/off switch.
Tomla, do you have a link to your thermometer of choice? TY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomla View Post
NOW you tell me!
I was looking for a simple solution to have a small thermometer on the bike. I guess I made it un-simple, but I will have my thermometer now.

Aquarium thermometer eh? Hadn't thought of that. Oh well, I'll do that on my next bike.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 12:24 AM

I almost hate to ask this. Is it water-resistant? Rain happens.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 07:46 AM

I bought a thermo for my house like that for outside temps. Self powered, the battery has lasted 15 years so far. Aerostich sells one bike specific for less than 20 bucks.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretbek View Post
I like knowing when the temperature near the road surface starts to get near freezing, so I bought a thermometer at FrozenCPU.com.

I even put some Arctic Silver in between the plates, that I had left over from a CPU install a year ago.
GEEK!! Computer geek!

(I'm glad I'm not the only one.)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Gosh, I should have asked first! You guys all pointed me to the small battery powered thermometers that I had been looking for.

Oh by the way, I found a plug-in source of 5V on the V. It is under the saddle on the right side, near the brake light, a simple quick-connect. Is that OEM or by the previous owner?

So as soon as this one croaks, I will just buy a waterproof battery powered thermometer. I know where to find them now.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 08:09 PM

Dennis, I went for this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Coralife-Digit...3175585&sr=8-2

At $9.50 delivered it seemed to make sense. The sensor probe is on a wire so you can place it out of the sun. I'll have to evaluate the case to see how waterproof it is. Might need some RTV to seal it up first, then find an out of the way place for the sensor so it won't get off readings from engine or radiator heat.

The cool looking thermometer I used last year is completely useless as an accurate temperature device, typically reading 20 or 30 degrees high once it's in the sun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 03:14 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode