Inexpensive alternative gear selector? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2014, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Inexpensive alternative gear selector?

It looks like you would just need to plug the loose individual wires into the corresponding pins of the connector the more expensive unit plugs into, right?
Could it be that simple for 1/10th of the price? I KNOW it's made in China, but......... For $16 bucks I'm willing to give it a try.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-Kawasaki...4dd4ca&vxp=mtr

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)

Last edited by AlaskaJeff; 09-12-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2014, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Somebody bought one for a Versys according to his feedback, so for that price I should be getting one by October.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The only thing I find questionable is this statement in the description:
** IMPORTANT INFORMATION **
Picture is purely for illustration purposes only, actual item may differ to the one shown above.
So basically they could send you anything and be covered.

There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

Old 09-13-2014, 05:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ordered one. I will also give it a try for that price. Thanks for the references.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:21 AM

Garage
Let me know how this works out. I'm trying to make one like GIpro that connects to the Diagnostic port. or better yet gives more information to LCD display.

But from the information you have given, you need to connect to the ECU wiring.
Pin 6 (light gray with red stripe) is the Speed sensor
Pin 12 (light gray) is the Neutral switch
and pin 47 (light brown) is tachometer

On the 4 pin Diagnostic port you have
Ground - Black with yellow stripe
Diagnostic line - light grey with black stripe
power - brown with white stripe
mode switch - light grey with white stripe

Mike
Old 09-15-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikej View Post
Let me know how this works out. I'm trying to make one like GIpro that connects to the Diagnostic port. or better yet gives more information to LCD display.

But from the information you have given, you need to connect to the ECU wiring.
Pin 6 (light gray with red stripe) is the Speed sensor
Pin 12 (light gray) is the Neutral switch
and pin 47 (light brown) is tachometer

On the 4 pin Diagnostic port you have
Ground - Black with yellow stripe
Diagnostic line - light grey with black stripe
power - brown with white stripe
mode switch - light grey with white stripe

Mike
Mike
I have one on order. Have started to check the wiring diagram for the connection points. Thanks for your pin location numbers and color codes found at the ECM. These also can be accessed at the instrument meter harness connector . The pin locations below are found, with the connector diagram on page 16-69 of the Service Manuel. Probably where the expensive plug & play versions connect to the system.

Taken from 1st Gen. service manual . 2010 & up Versys manual has a different shape connector and different pin location numbers, see page 16-65 in 2nd Gen service manuel.

Electronic Combination Meter Unit Inspection •Remove the meter unit [A] (see Meter Unit Removal). [1]Battery (+) [2]Ignition [3]Ground (–) [4]Fuel Lever Sensor [5]Speed Sensor Signal [6]Tachometer Signal [7]Water Temperature Sensor (–) [8]Oil Pressure Warning Indicator Light (LED) (–) [9]Fuel Reserve Switch [10]Speed Sensor Supply Voltage [11]High Beam Indicator Light (LED) (+) [12]Neutral Indicator Light (LED) (–) [13]Unused (KLE650A Models) ABS Indicator Light (LED) (–) (KLE650B Models) [14]Right Turn Signal Indicator Light (LED) (+) [15]Left Turn Signal Indicator Light (LED) (+) [16]FI Indicator Light (LED) (–)

Last edited by shilohsam; 09-15-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:53 AM

i've had that on my watch list for a little while. subrscribing so i can see how well it works before i start digging into wires.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:07 PM

Already bought one a while ago but my electrician didn't want to take the risk to try it....so I subscribed too to see how you can get this thing working

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 09-15-2014, 06:33 PM

Garage
Not to be disrespectful, but I need to understand

Why do you need this product ?

You accelarate and the bike struggle, go down one or two notch
You're up there in the rev and you hit the cutter, go up one notch

Basicaly, it's how I do it

Please, feel free to explain your interest in this device

Cheers

LOP
Old 09-15-2014, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
NO disrespect taken...........
Well for me, it would be nice to be able to glance down and VERIFY what gear I'm in, or which gear I THINK I am in from time to time. I can't count how many times I've tried to shift UP from 6th only to realize I'm already there. Also when coming to a stop and downshifting, most of the time I'm not counting gears, so when it's time to accelerate when I didn't come to a complete stop it's nice to know what gear I'm in. Rather than giving it some throttle and finding out it's to high or too low.
SURE, you don't really NEED one to properly ride your bike but, like many other accessories it's nice to have. And as I stated before I wasn't ready to sink $160 into one, but for $16 I'm willing to give it a try. Besides I am looking for some winter projects for the bike to go along with a complete cleaning and air filter change. But that just MHO, and we are all entitled to one, right?

2011 ADVersys

Old 09-15-2014, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purificator View Post
Already bought one a while ago but my electrician didn't want to take the risk to try it....so I subscribed too to see how you can get this thing working

What kind of risk did he foresee in attempting the install?

2011 ADVersys

Old 09-15-2014, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post

Cheers

LOP
I've got piles of stuff that I don't NEED, just thought they'd be cool to have.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:41 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post

Cheers

LOP
my 1981 Suzuki GS 450t has a stock gear indicator...whereas I find your statements true when riding the Versys..I do love the indicator on the Suzuki and would consider a 16 buck investment a good one...
Old 09-16-2014, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
What kind of risk did he foresee in attempting the install?

In the description of the product it says that it should connect with the odometer cables (not the diagnostic port) so he was afraid to connect the wrong files at the wrong place and end up messing with the odometer reading...may be he is exaggerating but I didn't want to push him to do it neither

Old 09-16-2014, 03:31 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
The only thing I find questionable is this statement in the description:
** IMPORTANT INFORMATION **
Picture is purely for illustration purposes only, actual item may differ to the one shown above.
So basically they could send you anything and be covered.
well i hope it would be theres almost no wires in the one on the pic xD
Old 09-16-2014, 06:46 AM

Garage
Ok Here is what I am up to. In the pictures you see I have added a small LCD screen to the dash area. In these pictures I have displayed voltage and ambient air temp. I installed a small microprocessor under seat that does things for me. I have since upgraded it to include a GPS. And I made larger numbers for a gear indicator. I currently fake the gears based on gps speed. So It kinda looks like the third picture with Gear, time, Date, GPS MPH, and air temp, and Voltage. I think I found a way to talk to the diagnostic port. My research shows I can get gear (without paying $150) and water temp. So On my display date would go for water temp. I will keep you informed, and see if I can make a simple gear indicator like the GIpro for much less. Future connection / wiring would be three wires on a factory connector to diagnostic port. No cutting and splicing.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0048.jpg (27.8 KB, 419 views)
File Type: jpg Power_On.jpg (35.4 KB, 340 views)
File Type: jpg LCD.jpg (22.8 KB, 238 views)
Old 09-16-2014, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikej View Post
Ok Here is what I am up to. In the pictures you see I have added a small LCD screen to the dash area. In these pictures I have displayed voltage and ambient air temp. I installed a small microprocessor under seat that does things for me. I have since upgraded it to include a GPS. And I made larger numbers for a gear indicator. I currently fake the gears based on gps speed. So It kinda looks like the third picture with Gear, time, Date, GPS MPH, and air temp, and Voltage. I think I found a way to talk to the diagnostic port. My research shows I can get gear (without paying $150) and water temp. So On my display date would go for water temp. I will keep you informed, and see if I can make a simple gear indicator like the GIpro for much less. Future connection / wiring would be three wires on a factory connector to diagnostic port. No cutting and splicing.

Mike
Very nice Mike, I will be interested to see your progress.

2011 ADVersys

Old 09-16-2014, 08:16 AM

Excellent Mike, I am following your progress, please let us know when you find out the gear indicator

Old 09-18-2014, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
NO disrespect taken...........
Well for me, it would be nice to be able to glance down and VERIFY what gear I'm in, or which gear I THINK I am in from time to time. I can't count how many times I've tried to shift UP from 6th only to realize I'm already there. Also when coming to a stop and downshifting, most of the time I'm not counting gears, so when it's time to accelerate when I didn't come to a complete stop it's nice to know what gear I'm in. Rather than giving it some throttle and finding out it's to high or too low.
SURE, you don't really NEED one to properly ride your bike but, like many other accessories it's nice to have....
Hell Jeff... IF I bought one of THOSE, then I wouldn't be able to do my "seventh" gear changes any more....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Old 09-20-2014, 02:37 AM

Garage
Update #1. Gentlemen, I was able to do some testing yesterday. I was able to get the bike communicating with gear selection to my computer. The connection to the bike was three wires to the 4 pin diagnostic port. Now I need to work on the coding to make it better. Initial code I have to initiate the communications request, then ask for gear information, or water temp. If I take too long in asking I have to initialize again. But the bike told me what gear I was in. I had it up on rear stand and worked it thru the gears. Told me correctly every time.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in