More Rear Lights - Pics - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
More Rear Lights - Pics

The rear of the bike could use more lighting - and especially so after adding aluminum side cases. It's hard to see in the photo - but the turn indicators sit in about four inches in from the end of the side cases, shrouding them from all viewing angles except nearly straight-on.

After countless hours of internet searches and the viewing of just about every light option available - I went cheap.

These are sealed 4" long, LED single filament. $7.87 each at Wal-Mart. They are actually DOT lights. The red ones will be running lights.

I wanted LED for a low current draw, but wanted something that wasn't so directional. These lights have sort of a dome to them and the lens is cut sorta like a reverse reflector, if that makes sense. i.e. you can see them pretty well from the top, bottom, and both sides.

Drilled two 1/4" holes for each light and bolted to the side case. Haven't wired them yet - because not sure what I want for a quick disconnect. The lights are mounted 1" down from the bottom of the lid, and 1/2" in from the side of the case.

Still need to figure out how I'm going to do an aux brake light.

So here's the progress, so far.

Last edited by kballowe; 08-15-2014 at 11:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post
The rear of the bike could use more lighting - and especially so after adding aluminum side cases....The red ones will be running lights....Still need to figure out how I'm going to do an aux brake light....
Suggest you use the reds as BOTH brake and running lights, and I used a "trailer-lights" connector as a QD for each of mine.

Mine are wired as running lights/ turn sigs (32 LEDs per light), but I MIGHT add the brake function....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03288 copy.jpg (70.3 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03289 copy.jpg (75.7 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03274 copy.jpg (65.4 KB, 79 views)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 12:08 PM
RMS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
They are not cheep $$$, but look at the AdMore web site
Your lights look good and they will light up the rear of your bike
so you can be seen at nite.

Last edited by RMS; 08-16-2014 at 07:57 PM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMS View Post
They are not cheep $$$, but look at the AdMore web site
I agree. I added AdMore's light kit to my Giving V35s and really like the results. They function as tail, brake and turn signals. Impressive improvement.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I have LEDs in my V35s, and skenedesign lights on the sides of the license plate. Plenty of lighting for the Versys.

My Versys Travels:

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Got them all wired up and everything works. Used a two wire quick disconnect that looks like a battery tender plug. Now to truss up all the wires out of sight.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Suggest you use the reds as BOTH brake and running lights, and I used a "trailer-lights" connector as a QD for each of mine.

Mine are wired as running lights/ turn sigs (32 LEDs per light), but I MIGHT add the brake function....
OK, that's a lot of light.

Are those flush mount? The reason I ask is because I looked and looked for a set of those and everything that I found - required me to cut a big hole in the case.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post
OK, that's a lot of light.

Are those flush mount? The reason I ask is because I looked and looked for a set of those and everything that I found - required me to cut a big hole in the case.
Yes - surface mount from Princess Auto (Canadian version of Harbor-Freight) for about $40/ apiece, but when I "do" my AZ bike, I MIGHT use ones that 'require' a hole, but instead of a hole I would mount them w/ a piece of wood surrounding the bit that normally goes thru the hole, making them surface mounts. I saw a yellow LED signal that has sequential arrows like the new Mustangs have....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Well, I was out riding a rural stretch of two lane last night and got pulled over by the Police.

He came up to the bike and said "I'm sorry to bother, but I noticed your saddlebag lights......" And then made a comment on the SIZE of those "saddlebags". He went on to say that the extra lights really improved the visibility, etc.

He has a Super Tenere and wanted information on adding more lights.

Nice guy. No citation. Believe it or not, I was actually riding the speed limit.
Yes, that also surprised me.

Seemed like my lucky day, so I stopped off at the nearest mini-mart and purchased a lottery ticket. We'll see.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode