Wind-Hand Guards? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question Wind-Hand Guards?

Anybody try these? Just looking for a winter time "keep my fingers from freezing" alternative...Looks like an easy install and could throw them on the shelve come spring

http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycle/N5543?

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 08:33 PM

Looks cheesy and not sure it would even work according to the description.

I have Acerbis Rally II handguards and they fit well and look great.
They don't deflect enough wind to keep my hands alive in my cheap gloves though, Im still going to need to upgrade to good winter gloves, possibly heated.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 08:43 PM

Does look kinda odd, I'm going to get the Black guards that fit the Vstrom. I hear they fit the V as well, just need a little tinkering I think.

2005 50cc scooter, 2007 GS500f, 2008 DL650 Vstrom,
I'm here for my wife's V . She lets me Farkle her Ride. No Diamonds for her, but shiney stuff for the bike is Okay
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 08:59 PM

Looks like junk! And it costs more than the KTM handguards several of us are using.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhodes973 View Post
Looks like junk! And it costs more than the KTM handguards several of us are using.
+1 on KTM guards. I installed mine a week or so ago. They look good and do a great job of deflecting wind off hands. I ordered mine through my dealer who happens to be KTM dealer as well and saved on shipping.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 11:28 PM

The WeeStrom guards work great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
Does look kinda odd, I'm going to get the Black guards that fit the Vstrom. I hear they fit the V as well, just need a little tinkering I think.
I put a set on KawasiMoto - they look great and really do a terrific job of deflecting the wind. We had to do a couple of minor mods, but very minor. The one on the clutch side needed a little bit of Dremel work to clear the clutch sensor, but the right side was a perfect fit. We put a couple of black O-rings between the grip and the end of the guards and they worked just fine. Another benefit to the WeeStrom guards (other than the low purchase price) was that they don't interfere with the Cee Bailey windscreen. If I get a chance this weekend, I'll put up a pic of the setup.
My buddy has put the WeeStrom guards on his Wee, his wife's 600 Yamaha and his FJR - they worked great on all 3 bikes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't you think that it's a ^%#$&# shame that Hunter S. Thompson wasn't an adventure rider? Imagine the ride reports...!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contractor View Post
Anybody try these? Just looking for a winter time "keep my fingers from freezing" alternative...Looks like an easy install and could throw them on the shelve come spring

http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycle/N5543?
I would not spend any money on these.

Go for thick winter gloves, I just got a pair of Cortech Scarab Winter gloves last week, and wow oh wow are they awesome.

If you want/need handguards still, Acerbis are awesome of course, and I've only heard good things about the VStrom and KTM guards as well.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

That's why I love this forum, honest and useful answers...New they looked kinda junky, but you never know ...Thanks and I'll be heading to the KTM dealer next week, one just around the corner

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 11:46 PM

from pics I've seen... I think the VStrom gaurds actually will be best for wind protection as they are big and kinda wrap around...
as far as Acerbis, I have the Rally Pro's (I or II, I forget which), and I like them cause they have an aluminum bar in them to reinforce in case of a drop, and they have optional spoilers to heighten them a bit more for that wind protection you're looking for (though even with spoilers, the VStrom ones look better for wind still).

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Amir...Fortunately I have a Honda/ Suzuki dealer close by...Might have to make a detour from Xmas shopping tomorrow

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 08:06 AM

For about $50 more you can purchase heated gloves that will work on any bike you own or MAY own in the future...

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 10:11 AM

Yeah, those things are bogus. I saw a set of cheesy looking handguards on one of the Kawi dirt bikes, maybe 125cc that looked more like wind guards, ie-no bar end connection. They were lime green. Will post more if I can find them.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 10:33 AM

Check out this post, especially the link at the bottom that firejun has posted. http://majestyusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6179
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 12:00 PM

You have a good old forum going here on handguards. I have just joined as a follow up to enquiry on this very subject. Our winter is just kicking in here (UK) and I am giving the topic a bit of thought before the old digits start freezing.
I see reference to options that I am familiar with and add ons to the current research.
Do any of you guys have experience of the Barkbuster product. They look well robust. I also understand the Triumph guards A9708108 work well.
On the gloves option I have coped up to now with this option but I dont much like the lack of feel.
I am trying an alternative glove (spada enforcer) whilst i am checking out the handguard thing.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 12:43 PM

WeeStrom hand guard pix

The combo of a 21" Cee Bailey windscreen and the WeeStrom hand guards work for me. I wish that I'd had them on when I rode down to the coast over the holidays. The difference is amazing. Now if I can get the Gerbings jacket and gloves, I'll be good down to at least the high teens.

Note the black rubber o-rings that we put in as spacers between the grip and the bar end weight. It gives it a clean look without binding on the throttle side. We had to get some slightly longer bolts to mount the guards with, but overall, it was a shoe-in. I highly recommend the Strom guards and the price is hard to beat too - about $55.

The shot below shows the clearance that is built into the Cee Bailey windscreen at full lock. I got the tallest model available - I'm 6'5", and the combo of the hand guards and the tall screen really give me a lot of protection from the wind. It seems that the wind flow skims the top of my helmet, but it's a lot quieter than before. It took about 6 days for the screen to arrive.

I wonder if any of the wind screen manufacturers do any wind tunnel tests on their products - as a kayaker, I know that water tends to eddy around behind rocks, and have learned to judge the type of eddy by the shape of the rocks that I'm coming up on. Wind acts much the same as water, with the screen acting as the rock in the water. I see some models of screens that seem to be designed more for looks than for effectiveness. A little time in a wind tunnel could result in good sales for some builder if they get it right.

The next shot has nothing to do with either wind screens, hand guards, or even the Vee, but damn, that's a cool bike! It's a project bike that my local dealer is building for the military - nearly all black with infrared lighting for night work. Extra quiet, it's a 250 designed for stealth travel in rough country. I like it!

Don't you think that it's a ^%#$&# shame that Hunter S. Thompson wasn't an adventure rider? Imagine the ride reports...!
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
I put "Zeta" guards on my "V". During the hot months I remove the plastic covers and just ride with the aluminum bar, so I get a cooling wind over my gloves, and then when it starts to cool down I re-attach the plastic pieces. They do a very nice job of keeping wind off my gloves.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 04:32 PM

I got a set of hippo hands last year and love them! Not everyone likes putting their hands into these, but I've never found anything warmer. And they'll go from bike to bike most of the time.

http://www.hippohands.com/HHLarge%20WM.htm

A diamond is just a hunk of coal
that didn't quit under pressure
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 11:08 PM

The original set shown are cruiser wind deflectors. Used with a large shield style windscreen they work well. I know several guys with them on different make bikes. Not so much for the Versys.
I have the Wee Strom deflectors on mine but would have held out for the KTM's if there was a dealer closer.

Dan

$100 an hour for therapy or...
$100 for gas...
I'm going riding!

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 09:14 PM

Tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeWNC View Post
The combo of a 21" Cee Bailey windscreen and the WeeStrom hand guards work for me. I wish that I'd had them on when I rode down to the coast over the holidays. The difference is amazing. Now if I can get the Gerbings jacket and gloves, I'll be good down to at least the high teens.

Note the black rubber o-rings that we put in as spacers between the grip and the bar end weight. It gives it a clean look without binding on the throttle side. We had to get some slightly longer bolts to mount the guards with, but overall, it was a shoe-in. I highly recommend the Strom guards and the price is hard to beat too - about $55.

The shot below shows the clearance that is built into the Cee Bailey windscreen at full lock. I got the tallest model available - I'm 6'5", and the combo of the hand guards and the tall screen really give me a lot of protection from the wind. It seems that the wind flow skims the top of my helmet, but it's a lot quieter than before. It took about 6 days for the screen to arrive.

I wonder if any of the wind screen manufacturers do any wind tunnel tests on their products - as a kayaker, I know that water tends to eddy around behind rocks, and have learned to judge the type of eddy by the shape of the rocks that I'm coming up on. Wind acts much the same as water, with the screen acting as the rock in the water. I see some models of screens that seem to be designed more for looks than for effectiveness. A little time in a wind tunnel could result in good sales for some builder if they get it right.

The next shot has nothing to do with either wind screens, hand guards, or even the Vee, but damn, that's a cool bike! It's a project bike that my local dealer is building for the military - nearly all black with infrared lighting for night work. Extra quiet, it's a 250 designed for stealth travel in rough country. I like it!

Hi! What kind of tires are those?? I wanto to change the tires of my V for that type.

Thanks!!!
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 06:39 PM

Interesting thread. I actually have a pair of the National Cycle hand deflectors on my M50 cruiser and they work just great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode