Shopping for luggage, and a WTF? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2009, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Shopping for luggage, and a WTF?

OK, so for x-mas I'm wanting to get myself some luggage. I like the look and volume of the Alu-TraX Aluminum cases so I went to TwistedThrottle and started shopping. I think I have wverything I need here:

GPT.08.391.100/B_r01 SW-MOTECH Alu-Rack Toprack (Kawasaki Ninja 650R / ER6F / ER6N, '06-'08, & Versys 650, '07-) for Givi, TraX ALU-BOX, & Krauser topcases $149.99 $149.99
GPT.00.152.400 SW-MOTECH Alu-Rack Topcase Adapter Plate (TraX ALU-BOX topcase) $35.00 $35.00
ALK.00.165.150D TraX 38-liter ALU-BOX topcase, powdercoated black or aluminum $345.00 $345.00
Description Price
Base Price $325.00
Color B-powdercoated black $20.00

KFT.00.152.200 TraX Adapter kit for SW-MOTECH Quick-Lock EVO sidecarriers $20.00 $20.00
KFT.08.603.200 SW-MOTECH Quick-Lock Sidecarrier (Kawasaki Versys 650, '07-) Evo Style for Givi, TraX ALU-BOX, & Krauser sidecases $235.00 $235.00
ALK.00.165.163 Lock set for 3 TraX ALU-BOX cases $20.00 $20.00
ALK.00.165.100.LD TraX 45-liter ALU-BOX, left, powdercoated black or aluminum $345.00 $345.00
Description Price
Base Price $325.00
Color B-black powdercoat $20.00

ALK.00.165.100.RD TraX 45-liter ALU-BOX, right, powdercoated black or aluminum $345.00 $345.00
Description Price
Base Price $325.00
Color B-black powdercoat $20.00

Subtotal: $1,494.99

Shipping and handling: $49.10

Total: $1,544.09

So I downloaded the instruction manuals and 2 things caught my attention. 1: The directions for the Evo Rack only show it installing on 1 side. Does that mean I need to buy a left AND a right rack to get saddle bags, or is it just a simplification of the directions?

And the WTF?!? The instructions for both the cases and the rack say that the max load is 11lb!! What a minute, 11lb? That means that in a 45-litre/11.5gal case, I can't put 3 bottles of Mt. dew?!?? What are these things made of, aluminum foil? Is the weight limit a limit of the cases or of the mounting rack? Would I be better off getting a different mounting rack for them? Seriously, I put more than that into my cheap-ass Dowco fabric bags without an issue.

So other than that, does it look like I have the right idea for the parts, or am I missing something? I'm planning in getting a quart of the matching blue touch-up paint from the dealer and having them shot to match at the local custom paint shop, and thinking of having the insides rhino-hided with a thin coat for waterproofing and bump protection.

Any input guys?

P.S. 11lb! WTF?!?!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2009, 08:50 PM

Every rack you buy says 11 lb. max. I asked and was told it was a legal thing as the extra weight may upset the handling of the bike. I had an ALU rack on my ZRX with the same rating and a Givi 52 litre top box. I weighed it on a very accurate scale, 32 lbs. Went over 10,000 miles on one trip alone, no issues whatever. Same on my ZZR1200. I now have the rack on my Versys but have yet to use it. Not to worry, the stuff your buying is quality, it'll take whatever you can stuff in it. Rhino lining takes up space.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

From the install pages, it says the insides are unlined, so I can either drop the cash for the bags or get a thin rhino-hide in there. Figured the rhino-hide would make it waterproof too, hence the thought.

Thanks though, I was getting worried.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:24 PM

I've got the 37l Trax cases and the SW-Motech racks:

SW-MOTECH Quicklock fastners
SW-MOTECH EVO Carrier
Trax sidecase/topcase lock set
SW-MOTECH Alu-Rack Toprack
SW-MOTECH Alu-Rack adapter
Trax 37l sidecase-RH
Trax 37l sidecase-LH
Trax 38l topcase

The black cases are painted inside and out so oxidation is not an issue, however I (and others) have had leakage issues.

I'm looking at a liner coating myself to cure the leakage problem-the 37l sidecases have so much room (and the larger cases even more) I can't see that the coating will appreciable reduce capacity.

Except when they are empty (on the way to the grocery store), I don't know when I have ever carried less than 11 lbs in the side cases. I installed them 18 months/7,000 miles ago with no issues (but the leakage).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PA040171.jpg (630.1 KB, 163 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A2ron
Charleston, SC
Old 11-26-2009, 08:21 PM

Garage
Waterproof Cases

I don't have expeirence with your cases, but the Pelican Cases that one of our members at Caribboo turns into side cases are waterproof and almost indestructible.

http://cariboucases.com/store/?name=...=i&item=000204

I also don't know if there is a top case to match.

I have used Pelican cases for underwater cameras, and have seen them dropped overboard when loading, sink to the bottom, be retrieved without a drop of water in them.

They are so airtight that if you fly with them a little air escapes the o-ring seal, and you have a vacuum when you land. There is a little vent to allow air back in - otherwise you cant get the case open.

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in