Thanks guys. I'm happy with it. When I started working on it, the goal was not to do any welding. I did weld washers on the rear mounts but didn't need to. It is close enough at the rear that a large set of washers top and bottom would hold it. The pipe itself is metric but very close to 3/4". That's what I used for the ends. I was thinking of cutting and splicing in the 3/4" pipe to move the front tabs up. The problem I ran into was that it was too narrow for the seat to go back on. That's why there are bend marks right by the rear mounts. I do have a bender from HF but not a torch to get it hot enough to bend it out. The front mounts are eye bolts bent up to go into holes under the 3/4" pipe. I drilled a hole and drove a roll pin into each to keep them from coming out. I could have welded them on (and still might) but getting them aligned right would be difficult.
I found that a 5/8" bolt would thread into the metric pipe. The front pipe assembly is a cut off 5/8" bolt pop riveted to the 3/4" pipe. I tried welding the cut off bolt to the pipe on the inside but my welder isn't hot enough (220v HF flux core).
A couple of the pictures make it look like the right side has a pretty sizable gap. A gap is there but it's not noticeable "in real life". It is something that is pretty easy to fix with a new bolt bent a little closer to the eye.
Because I used a 5/8" bolt to thread into the pipe, I'm thinking that a back rest, maybe even adjustable, could be added with out much hassle.
Last edited by david3921; 06-30-2014 at 02:21 PM.