Converted rack. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Converted rack.

I wanted a rear rack for my V. I didn't plan on putting a whole lot of weight on it, i.e. a top box, so I figured I could get away with converting an existing rack made for another mc. I found one for a Hyosung Comet that looked close enough to fiddle with and ordered it from here; http://koreanbikeparts.com/index.php...fi-models.html

It was about $63 shipped. Here's what it looked like when I got it; [IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Here it it is matched up to the existing bolts;[IMG][/IMG]

I had to do some cutting, welding, bending, and some fabricating to get it to work but here it is mounted after I powder coated it textured black;[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

The right, front mount didn't come out as well as the left but it works well. I just need to get another eye bolt and bend it closer to the bolt. I'll probably re-do it this winter. I'm pretty sure I could easily add a back rest to the front mounts if needed based on the way the parts are attached. If anyone wants more info on how it's attached, or suggestions, let me know.

Last edited by david3921; 06-27-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 05:31 PM

Garage
Nice job. That was amazingly close to a fit right out of the box!

Always trust your cape.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 06:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Well, THAT turned out pretty well.

Wanna come work on mine?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I'm happy with it. When I started working on it, the goal was not to do any welding. I did weld washers on the rear mounts but didn't need to. It is close enough at the rear that a large set of washers top and bottom would hold it. The pipe itself is metric but very close to 3/4". That's what I used for the ends. I was thinking of cutting and splicing in the 3/4" pipe to move the front tabs up. The problem I ran into was that it was too narrow for the seat to go back on. That's why there are bend marks right by the rear mounts. I do have a bender from HF but not a torch to get it hot enough to bend it out. The front mounts are eye bolts bent up to go into holes under the 3/4" pipe. I drilled a hole and drove a roll pin into each to keep them from coming out. I could have welded them on (and still might) but getting them aligned right would be difficult.

I found that a 5/8" bolt would thread into the metric pipe. The front pipe assembly is a cut off 5/8" bolt pop riveted to the 3/4" pipe. I tried welding the cut off bolt to the pipe on the inside but my welder isn't hot enough (220v HF flux core).

A couple of the pictures make it look like the right side has a pretty sizable gap. A gap is there but it's not noticeable "in real life". It is something that is pretty easy to fix with a new bolt bent a little closer to the eye.

Because I used a 5/8" bolt to thread into the pipe, I'm thinking that a back rest, maybe even adjustable, could be added with out much hassle.

Last edited by david3921; 06-30-2014 at 02:21 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post
Well, THAT turned out pretty well.

Wanna come work on mine?

Both of my kids live in Missouri and I really want to take a MC trip down there. They are in Warrensburg and Coal Camp. If I go, I'll give you a shout. Those Missouri road are mighty twisty south of 70.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode