Auxiliary LED Running Light Install & Aluminum Brackets - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Auxiliary LED Running Light Install & Aluminum Brackets

I ordered the light brackets from Twisted Throttle but (to me) are way over engineered and mount on the outside of the tank/cowling. You could mount KC Daylighters on them, returned. So I bought $10 worth of thick aluminum bar stock and made mounts.

There are brackets off each side of the frame under the cowling in basically the same potion, with 2 holes and only requiring a slight bend in one of the mounts for both sides to be identical in potion, measurements the same.

This is a 'no drill' or 'scratch' add-on!

A bit of polishing and stainless hardware, 10w LEDS, just could not be happier. Well not true, will hook them up tomorrow, then happy. At least no stator worries with the slight amp draw.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 10:48 AM

Nice! Is that a kz400 in the background? I ride a 09 Versys and a 79 KZ750.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Yes. Wow, a KZ750, probably faster than your V! Almost pulled the trigger on a 04 ZRX last week, only 6k miles, mint, good price but 4 bikes is just too many.......at least the wife thinks so

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 07:22 PM

Speaking from some personal experience - You may have saved some money, but make those brackets a regular inspection point like your tires, chain, lights, etc. Aluminum fatigues easily and quickly when exposed to vibration. Just try bending a piece of that back and forth a few times and you will see how quickly it fails.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacneil2008 View Post
Yes. Wow, a KZ750, probably faster than your V! Almost pulled the trigger on a 04 ZRX last week, only 6k miles, mint, good price but 4 bikes is just too many.......at least the wife thinks so
I love my KZ, but no it's nowhere close to as fast as the Versys. Even new it only had about 50hp and it's 35 years and 30k miles older now. And it's not nearly as clean as that 400 looks! They just squeeze a lot more power out of the same displacements now a days.

The old bikes are all about character and personality. I love the old Universal Japanese Motorcycles. Want a touring bike? Throw some luggage on. Want an adventure bike? Put some off road tires on. Whatever you wanted it to be or do it did. I see a lot of the same appeal in the Versys.

Here's a pic of "Clyde".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clyde.jpg (110.1 KB, 116 views)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocibiker View Post
Speaking from some personal experience - You may have saved some money, but make those brackets a regular inspection point like your tires, chain, lights, etc. Aluminum fatigues easily and quickly when exposed to vibration. Just try bending a piece of that back and forth a few times and you will see how quickly it fails.
Yes, is a concern. Stressed the aluminum when bending. Probably should have heated 1st. And if becomes an issue, will recreate in steel stock.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topper View Post
I love my KZ, but no it's nowhere close to as fast as the Versys. Even new it only had about 50hp and it's 35 years and 30k miles older now. And it's not nearly as clean as that 400 looks! They just squeeze a lot more power out of the same displacements now a days.

The old bikes are all about character and personality. I love the old Universal Japanese Motorcycles. Want a touring bike? Throw some luggage on. Want an adventure bike? Put some off road tires on. Whatever you wanted it to be or do it did. I see a lot of the same appeal in the Versys.

Here's a pic of "Clyde".
Very nice. Mine was a true barn find. An classic car dealer went to look at widow's 56 Cadillac and saw the front tire of the KZ poking out from under a tarp and the women said was just some old motorcycle. He bought an posted it on Craigslist. I was looking that day and bought it, as last registered in 1981.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/713759...7629200591028/
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 12:27 AM

What a sweet ride! I lusted after one of those in my younger days something awful.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimel View Post
What a sweet ride! I lusted after one of those in my younger days something awful.
Just an FYI, I am selling next month. I only have 1 car garage and 3 bikes and car, not much fits. Only area that needs attention are the front forks need polished. I will complete this week. If interested, let me know.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Those will last as long or longer than the bike.

Nothing wrong with alum. for that application..... aluminum that thick will out perform the thin, tinny metal (steel) brackets that come with some of these lights. Unless you regularly "roll" the bike in the ditch, these will be fine, choice, great.

who's lights did you choose for that project? Happy with em?, very well done.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Yes, been on bike 3-4 months now and really very visible. Actually, so bright, I have angled down a bit so as not to blind oncoming traffic. I bought http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F91QIZ6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
KohreeŽ Black 2" 10W CREE LED Work Driving Light Lamp Spot Beam with Stand Motorcycle Car Truck Jeep Boat

From Amazon, only $27 each. I am installing a set on my Stelvio as well. Very pleased
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 02:55 PM

I was eyeing up those same lights recently - may have to pull the trigger.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Are there multiple LEDS in them, or just one? hard to see
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 07:01 AM

i think its one 10w cree LED chip in each fixture
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 04:05 PM

aux-l.jpg
I used the turn signal position as I removed the OEM signals and installed LED strips. These are wired parallel with the city lights because they are LED too,and the total wattage should be around the same or a bit more than the OEM city lights
4d16510d1ed3ab45507be2e80d660ecaea1b24004e1be97022720b5d94f7e823.0.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
auxiliary lights, diy light mounts, led lights, polished hubs, wire wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode