Phone/GPS Mount/Shelf - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Phone/GPS Mount/Shelf

A post I inappropriately posted at VSARI (http://vsari.com/index.php?topic=540.msg3023#new)
Kinda off topic for that forum but I don't generally hang here at the Versys forum. The Versys (2009) belongs to my wife although I like to thrash it now and then. This was her Mother's Day gift.

Having acquired Richland Rick's (Adventuretech) original GPs/Dash/Shelf, for my DL650 (Weestrom), that I've been extremely happy with, my wife kept whining that she wanted one for her bike, the 09 Versys. I couldn't find one so, belatedly, here is her new promised shelf (her late Mothers Day present). It can be lowered an inch but the current setting allows the windshield to be raised an extra notch. It still needs velcro carpeting in the first pics but I needed to figure out a phone holder for it as that's one thing she wants. I had to make her a cup holder too. Oh, and a note holder clip (also put velcro on a pen to attach). Her electronic toll pass goes on the shelf too:
(Ignore the crap in the garage. It's never like that. A tornado came by and the garage door was open)

The Finished Shelf: I bought a different 17mm ball on a stem (different from the one I used on my AdventureTech shelf) and made a base for it to raise it up some. I also heated and bent the stem it to get a little more angle. I went ahead and made a box and put two power outlets in it along with a Back Off voltage monitor (sourced from Adventuretech) and a switch for future lights. She wants additional lights to assist her head lamp as well as colored LEDs for side visibility (and maybe vanity). Some photo bucket thumbnail pics, that link to larger versions:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Just add a curly straw and you can just lean in and drink!

Nice job
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I guess if threres a throttle lock, she can work on a shopping list while riding to the store. Or, she can work on a honey do list for you.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

LOL, I don't think she will be note taking while actually riding. She does jot a lot of notes but I expect she will stop for that. I don't even know how she would drink while riding being as how she wears a full face helmet. She wanted one so she got one. I use the crap out of mine. However, I wear a modular, 3/4 flip-up or half helmet and I do use my cup holder. I have a propensity for stones so I try to drink lots and yes on trips I'll use my throttle lock and drink on the fly. Plus I use it for my GPS and Toll Road Pass and cigar lighter and cigar clip. It works great for me. I'm wondering if I can raise mine up enough to fit an accessory box under mine also. Hers is a little too high aesthetically and I'll lower it if I get a spoiler for her windshield as they will both go down together. Currently the added screen height is nice.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 11:29 PM

Garage
VStream Wind Shield Rattling

Cool project. I wanted to add a note about rattling and the VStream shield for the benefit of anyone who has this issue, as this has been an issue for me in the past, but has a simple fix.

I've had a lot of buzzing from my VStream windshield and tracked it down to the identified spots on the wind shield support brackets. The VStream windshield, because it has quite a curve to it, just barely comes in contact with the brackets where it curves around. See identified area on image. As a result it makes a huge racket when you add the vibration you get from the bike at 4000 to 5000 RPM. The fix was to attach some adhesive backed foam tape to the edge of the bracket on either side where the windshield contacts it. No more noise.

Last edited by twowheels; 06-20-2014 at 11:37 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 03:45 PM

Oink, what is the control module under your LHS mirror. It looks like it is for heater controls for your seat, gloves and jacket, but I would not think you would need that in sunny FLA.

rayj
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 04:42 PM

I know that control, it's for a set of Oxford heated grips.

But don't believe everything you hear about Florida weather, I grew up in Jacksonville. It get nasty cold at times. 35-40 may not sound cold BUT when you toss 80%-90% humidity on top it's bone chilling. I'd rather ride here in Ohio when it's in the teens as least it's a dry cold.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 12:43 AM

Time, I know that diff on cold and dry vs cool and high humidity. Any chance you're going to make it down to Mid Ohio Vintage Bike meet next weekend. If so I'm a green one and I'll have my matching Givi hard bags on.

rayj
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Yep, Oxford heated grips. She uses hers in Florida a fair amount. I have them on my WeeII but I have only used them on trips in chilly weather. When I was up in Tn, NC and Va during the early (but late) spring I used them a lot.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 11:01 PM

Here's mine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140807_184057.jpg (77.7 KB, 155 views)

Last edited by dejablu110; 08-17-2014 at 11:03 PM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 11:02 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
im going to semi copy you for my fuse block and switch mounting. im using a $5 hobby box from radio crap
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 11:24 PM

Garage
I have a Motowerk GPS/Phone mounting plate custom designed to attach to the windshield support brackets on the 07-09 Versys
for sale in the For Sale section. $40.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=66410

Last edited by twowheels; 10-15-2014 at 11:27 PM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 11:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I have a Motowerk GPS/Phone mounting plate custom designed to attach to the windshield support brackets on the 07-09 Versys
for sale in the For Sale section. $40.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=66410

i already have a bar-mount phone/gps holder. im making a box kinda like that one for my aux switches and fuse block and aux power out let, so i dont have to drill into my plastics more
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 10:33 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
im going to semi copy you for my fuse block and switch mounting. im using a $5 hobby box from radio crap
well got it done http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...t=66498&page=2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode