I have been taking some long rides into the mountains around Phoenix lately and my knees have been paying for it on the long ride down the freeway to get home. I am also cheap when it comes to my man toys and love to tinker/create... perfect combo.
I can't get on board with $250 highway peg mounts or an even more expensive engine guard... so time to get in the garage. Here's a how to and results. $60 total bill with some tools i didn't have and now do!
2009 Gen1 Versys, 2 engine support bolts on either side in front of the cylinders, measuring 10mm by 1.25 fine thread serve as attachment points for the brackets. You might have to buy some slightly longer bolts in this size to hold the brackets on, I was able to reuse the right side bolt, but the left was not long enough when reinstalled, don't ask me why..
1/4 inch by 1 inch steel bar from Lowes become the brackets. I was a little worried about being able to bend, until this guy on You Tube convinced me that my 4 lb sledge and 4.5 in vice could do the trick.
BENDING 1/4 STEEL WITH VICE
You can see my drawing of lengths below, basically 2 bends in each, 3 holes drilled out with care and plenty of coolant (ie DW40).
The support bar is 3/8 threaded steel rod, with a hollow steel pipe that slips over the bar in between the brackets, available in the same section at Lowes. This setup holds the brackets out at the right distance and looks a lot better than just the threaded steel. Measurements below, nyloc nuts and lock washers on the ends.
The pegs themselves were $10 folding 10mm pegs from Amazon. You can upgrade/change mounting bolt size if you want some chromed out Harley chopper looking pegs, i'm still thinking cheap and light here, wife is sometimes critical of the end cost of my "cheap" DIY projects...
After bending the brackets, I cut them with a hacksaw and 24T blade (metal), and drilling the mounting holes a quick fit check proved that i had measured twice and cut once...
I painted the pieces with Rustoleum Hammered finish black. Its a primer+paint with a textured finish that claims to prevent chipping. A quick sand paper and soap prep job and rattle can of this did the trick.
Finished product below, feels solid in the garage, will have to Ops test it this weekend. Let me know what you think, any improvements i could make or if you have questions,
Luke AFB AZ