DIY Highway Peg Mounts - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
DIY Highway Peg Mounts

I have been taking some long rides into the mountains around Phoenix lately and my knees have been paying for it on the long ride down the freeway to get home. I am also cheap when it comes to my man toys and love to tinker/create... perfect combo.

I can't get on board with $250 highway peg mounts or an even more expensive engine guard... so time to get in the garage. Here's a how to and results. $60 total bill with some tools i didn't have and now do!

2009 Gen1 Versys, 2 engine support bolts on either side in front of the cylinders, measuring 10mm by 1.25 fine thread serve as attachment points for the brackets. You might have to buy some slightly longer bolts in this size to hold the brackets on, I was able to reuse the right side bolt, but the left was not long enough when reinstalled, don't ask me why..

1/4 inch by 1 inch steel bar from Lowes become the brackets. I was a little worried about being able to bend, until this guy on You Tube convinced me that my 4 lb sledge and 4.5 in vice could do the trick.
BENDING 1/4 STEEL WITH VICE

You can see my drawing of lengths below, basically 2 bends in each, 3 holes drilled out with care and plenty of coolant (ie DW40).

The support bar is 3/8 threaded steel rod, with a hollow steel pipe that slips over the bar in between the brackets, available in the same section at Lowes. This setup holds the brackets out at the right distance and looks a lot better than just the threaded steel. Measurements below, nyloc nuts and lock washers on the ends.

The pegs themselves were $10 folding 10mm pegs from Amazon. You can upgrade/change mounting bolt size if you want some chromed out Harley chopper looking pegs, i'm still thinking cheap and light here, wife is sometimes critical of the end cost of my "cheap" DIY projects...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CJC4XM/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
After bending the brackets, I cut them with a hacksaw and 24T blade (metal), and drilling the mounting holes a quick fit check proved that i had measured twice and cut once...

I painted the pieces with Rustoleum Hammered finish black. Its a primer+paint with a textured finish that claims to prevent chipping. A quick sand paper and soap prep job and rattle can of this did the trick.

Finished product below, feels solid in the garage, will have to Ops test it this weekend. Let me know what you think, any improvements i could make or if you have questions,

Happy Riding!

Brad
Luke AFB AZ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140618_091537.jpg (24.7 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140618_085153.jpg (51.7 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140617_212206.jpg (28.7 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140617_212149.jpg (58.2 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140617_212124.jpg (62.4 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140610_103840.jpg (45.2 KB, 201 views)

Last edited by Boatmen; 06-18-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 12:44 PM

They are not that expensive. I paid 60 usd for these: ImageUploadedByMO Free1403113421.437556.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

"You can upgrade/change mounting bolt size if you want some chromed out...."

And there you go! you mount them on an engine guard? looks like they might work with the above mount if you take the circle clamps off.

these might be a good option too, foldable, look a little better quality, $55

http://www.amazon.com/Rivco-Products-Anti-Vibration-Highway-Pegs/dp/B005U80V6K/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=18M156N6A5Q0PKNFXDS0

The weight is also a factor, i am not going to be standing up on these pegs and they don't have the best vertical support right now, i am interested to see if they rotate down with a few rides, might put them close to the headers and i might have to consider another support for that issue.

Only more riding will tell!

Last edited by Boatmen; 06-18-2014 at 01:23 PM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 06:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatmen View Post
...don't have the best vertical support right now, i am interested to see if they rotate down with a few rides, might put them close to the headers and i might have to consider another support for that issue.

Only more riding will tell!
That was going to be my question, from looking at your pics, what is keeping the brackets from pulling down and in towards the headers? Looks like just the top mounting bolts?

Looks good and practical otherwise, nice work. I have the same $10 pegs on my Speedy mounts and they work just fine. Had the same pegs on my Honda Ruckus too.

Always trust your cape.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 08:58 PM

My version with cages

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
highway pegs, highway riding, mounts, peg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode