Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Handguard

89K views 211 replies 108 participants last post by  MaverickAus 
#1 ·
Any of you have added handguards to your V. If so, what make and how was the installation.

I have read that the KTM or the Suzuki V-Strom hand guard work well!

#3 ·
Hey Invader,

They look really sharp, but kind of on the high end of the dollar scale. I finally ordered the KLR08 hand guard. Got some tips on the web that they fit.

Will post as soon as I receive them and get the bike from the dealer. Which should be in about 2 weeks.

#6 ·
#69 ·
V-Strom Handguards

I just bought the v-strom handguards. The right side looks like it will fit without mods but the left will need some "fitting". Can you or anyone else tell me or better yet show me some pics of what you had to do? I still have the OEM windshield.

#8 ·
KTM Handguards with added wind protection

Attached see pics of the KTM handguards installed. For rain or cold we put some simple PP plastic shields on and secured them with 4mm stainless screws and nylock nuts. They were simple pieces of plastic from the bottom of a cheap toolkit box, but they are flexible enough to match the KTM curve but still strong enough for the windblast. The cutout shape was just to fit the KTM guards and I made a template with cardboard and flipped it for the opposite side handguard.

Attachments

#47 ·
Attached see pics of the KTM handguards installed. For rain or cold we put some simple PP plastic shields on and secured them with 4mm stainless screws and nylock nuts. They were simple pieces of plastic from the bottom of a cheap toolkit box, but they are flexible enough to match the KTM curve but still strong enough for the windblast. The cutout shape was just to fit the KTM guards and I made a template with cardboard and flipped it for the opposite side handguard.
Hello
I tried it but if you have touring HIGHER WINDSCREEN they are hitting when you turn left or right.

Take care

#11 ·
Handguards

Hi from UK
Fitted KTM handguards to my V some time ago,very straightforward and no prob fitting.Work well in keeping the elements at bay.Mind you, do not refit stock bar-ends ,they can fall off!! especially if overtightened as easy to do because introduction of guard into bar-end/handlebar interface is changed and no metal to metal contact exists.I did this and only just found out b4 my bar end went for a ride on its own!

So fitted simple (no rubber insert) stainless steel bar end.
See pics at www.picasaweb.google.co.uk/stuartbull1

#13 · (Edited)
Acerbis Hand guards

I put the Acerbis on mine along with the Givi Windshield. I had a slight problem with the GIVI windshield and clearance with the Handgards, but after some twiddling, I made it all work. I bought the large "touring" Acebis and they really block the wind.

#16 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. I've since changed over to Zeta's.

White:

And Black:

I like to mix things up a bit from time to time.

Right now I'm not running anything, as I put my Givi windscreen on and there's interference. I'll figure something out because these hand guards do make a difference in the cold weather!

Take care,
Jim

#62 ·
zeta w/ bar ends

Thanks guys. I've since changed over to Zeta's.

White:

And Black:

I like to mix things up a bit from time to time.

Right now I'm not running anything, as I put my Givi windscreen on and there's interference. I'll figure something out because these hand guards do make a difference in the cold weather!

Take care,
Jim
I just ordered a pair of Zeta's for my Versys, which if UPS is caught up on things, will arrive in a couple days. What pushed me off the fence more or less was the review webbikeworld gave them, however they used what appears to be aftermarket bar ends. When you installed yours, did you use the OEM bar ends or result to aftermarket as well? I am vaslty inexpienced with farkling, so forgive me if I have restated a question.

Thanks.

#21 ·
Anyone ever thought of the Ducati Hypermotard mirrors? Not only would you get an alternative to the loose and cheep V's mirrors, but you get additional bark-busters and turn signal indicators too. I just looked at them at the Ducati parts store online, and they look pretty easy to bolt on then run the wiring and presto Italiano! Sorry, I'm stationed here in Sicily and it gets to my head sometimes...Another perk is they fold in, so squeezing through traffic shouldn't be a problem.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Photos...r_bar_deta.jpg

http://www.motorcycle.com/galleries/...ax_295x221.jpg

#45 ·
Anyone ever thought of the Ducati Hypermotard mirrors? Not only would you get an alternative to the loose and cheep V's mirrors, but you get additional bark-busters and turn signal indicators too. I just looked at them at the Ducati parts store online, and they look pretty easy to bolt on then run the wiring and presto Italiano! Sorry, I'm stationed here in Sicily and it gets to my head sometimes...Another perk is they fold in, so squeezing through traffic shouldn't be a problem.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Photos...r_bar_deta.jpg

http://www.motorcycle.com/galleries/...ax_295x221.jpg
these would be ideal, they're just expensive. a guy parting a hypermotard on ebay has the starting bid at $300. I imagine dropping in at the local ducati dealership/parts counter will be much the same story if not more. I can see them being worth the price, esp. with the mirrors, but would that messup the end weith of the handlebars? curious am if these will fit as well. forgive my lack of experience with motorcycles. I bought my V in august, and am suffering the winds barrage on my hands, so I am tyring to find an amiable sollution that fits a college students limited budget, and is easy to install.

#24 ·
I like the Barkbusters.

I may be in the minority here, but I like the looks of the Barkbusters better.

Jim, How close does the red match the Passion Red? (Hard to tell for sure in photos. Looks real close)
Also, Are the Barkbusters easy to remove when you don't want to use them?

Thanks for your time.
-Joel.

#30 ·
I'd like to bring these new handguards to your attention:

Acerbis Dual Road

They're designed for naked bikes, and when mounted on the Versys really rock:

Image 1
Image 2

As you can see, these new handguards sport a particular design, with a single locking point (on the grip's tip), semi-transparent shields, and can be fitted with blue-glowing led strips.

They're quite expensive (about 80 euro here in Italy), perhaps waiting a little we'll see ebay sellers with more reasonable prices.

I'm planning to attend EICMA 2008 in Milan next week; maybe I'll be able to see the new handguards and take a detailed photo reportage. Stay tuned :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.