Replacement Mirrors - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Replacement Mirrors

After my inital "loose mirror" fix at 212 miles, they lasted 11,970 miles before the RH mirror started to rotate at speed. I took the mirror off the bike (totally trashing the silver not-quite-nut barrel) only to shear the mirror's threaded post trying to tighten again...............

So a trip to all the local shops today; except for the Harley shop (no thanks I didn't need chrome lightening mirrors) the common response was "...we don't have any mirrors in stock but we can order them...".

I did look at both the mirrors for the ER-6n (thanks prittner http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=5373 - agree much better mounting than the Versys) and at a very nice set on the Triumph Street Triple.

I ended up getting a temp set of EMGO 20-78207's (US$ 16.99) from my local Cycle Gear to get me back on the road but I can tell that the mirror will be vibe'ng a lot as the mirror "glass" doesn't sit tight in the housing-but at least the stem mounts tight like a mirror should.

Anybody out there try the Street Triple Mirrors on the Versys?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A2ron
Charleston, SC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

I got this response on from another forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
"I've used mirrors from the Aprilia Tuono purchased at the local Aprilia dealer for $26 each ($52 for the pair) and found them good. They adjust easily, are clear, look decent, and yes they stay in place. And the Tuono was designed for high speed unlike the Versys so the shell was designed not to allow air turbulence to loosen or move the mirror."

Did some Googling and found not just the mirror but a mirror vibration isolator for the KLR, something like this (4th picture down)?

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...tml?1197414564

Looks good (seem to be popular with the Buell folks too), the addition of the vibration isolators and the extra height would help too.

We have a local Aprilia dealer, I'm going to see what he would charge for the mirrors.

Anybody used the KLR vibration isolators on the Versys?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A2ron
Charleston, SC
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 08:29 AM

Post pics a let us know all the details of cost, fit, etc.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 11:01 AM

I went the expensive route and use CRG bar-end mirrors. No vibrations, I had no issues getting used to the position ( same spot as my bicycle mirror ) and I it cleans up the bike considerably. I had to do some bolt shopping and got rid of the bar-end weights but it didn't seem to affect the vibration any.

Toys : 2009 Versys ( Blue ), 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Needs : 2016 Mazda CX-5 ( RIP Mazda5 ), 2007 Honda Civic
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 12:26 PM

I recently mounted the KTM mirrors from their SuperDuke and am really liking them. Tight, lots less vibration. Kinda pricey though but worth it.

DW

David

I always come back from one of these trips with about 350 pictures of my bike - Ewan McGregor
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 06:26 PM

I've had my eye on those KTM Superduke mirrors ever since I saw pics of them on the Versys UK forum in this thread. But the price held me back until recently when I scored a used set for $40 in the ADVRider flea market.

If you like these mirrors so much you want to buy a new set here's what you need: (Prices are from www.ktmtwins.com on 11/19/2009)

58412040050 SUPPORT FOR MIRROR
(you need two of these) 2 x $17.17 = $34.34
61112040000 REVIEW MIRROR $26.95
61112041000 REVIEW MIRROR $26.95

With shipping that's close to $100. That's why I waited to find a used set.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 10:41 PM

I would like to see some pictures of your V with the ktm super duke mirrors as I have been thinking about getting A set, I like the looks of them, and do they extend out farther than the V mirrors so you see more road and less of your shoulders?
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowcat13
I would like to see some pictures of your V with the ktm super duke mirrors as I have been thinking about getting A set, I like the looks of them, and do they extend out farther than the V mirrors so you see more road and less of your shoulders?
I only received them today, it's raining, so all I did was mount them. They are a bit lower and wider than the OEM mirrors.

If you want pics take a look at the link I gave above to the Versys UK forum. The thread I linked to has pictures of a red Versys (mine's red too) with the mirrors installed. That thread also has pics of both an OEM and an KTM mirror installed at the same time so you can compare.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

I ended up going with the Street Triple Mirrors, bought them from local dealer which cost me more than online. Easy installation, easy to tighten and adjust, actually still work at speeds above 20 mph.

They are installed on my extenders that I had the OEM mirrors on.

After 200 miles I'm happy with the fix. Pictures attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Versys_StreetTriple_Mirrors_1.jpg (914.8 KB, 1270 views)
File Type: jpg Versys_StreetTriple_Mirrors_2.jpg (671.9 KB, 967 views)
File Type: jpg Versys_StreetTriple_Mirrors_3.jpg (144.7 KB, 1311 views)

A2ron
Charleston, SC
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2RON View Post
I ended up going with the Street Triple Mirrors, bought them from local dealer which cost me more than online. Easy installation, easy to tighten and adjust, actually still work at speeds above 20 mph.

They are installed on my extenders that I had the OEM mirrors on.

After 200 miles I'm happy with the fix. Pictures attached.
Looks good! What is the part #, and how much?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 10:16 PM

Of course there is the ever popular Z1000 mirror...Run them with smotech extenders and can practically see your backside
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vmirrors.JPG (41.8 KB, 862 views)

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAVersys View Post
Looks good! What is the part #, and how much?
The Triumph P/N's:

Left Hand P/N T2060019
Right Hand P/N T2060018

each mirror was US$ 68.57 and they came with the rubber boot.

A2ron
Charleston, SC
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 01:11 PM

mirrors

Only problem I've had with my Versys was the mirrors, (coming loose, bad visibility). Bought some Napoleon bar-ends. They work great!
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott View Post
Only problem I've had with my Versys was the mirrors, (coming loose, bad visibility). Bought some Napoleon bar-ends. They work great!
are these the napoleon ones you got I have been looking at them and could you post a pic or yours so we can see?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ap104_lg.jpg (27.5 KB, 777 views)

09' Versys "Mean Green my 3 year old immediately dubed it"
07' H-D FLHP Road King (not mine but drive it hard)
2001 FZ-1 (sold)
1998 Murader 800 (sold)
1992 Yamaha Seca (sold)
1988 Suzuki Savage 650
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 12:45 AM

MIrrors

Yeah, those look like the ones. Don't have pics, but I think they clean up the look of the bike a bit. I had to remove the bar end weights to get them on the bars but can't feel any difference and they look pretty slick.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 09:56 PM

An alternative mirror:

http://adventureonwheels-sg.com/productfive.aspx

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Will it mount on the V. As it is there is little or no space to have anything mount on the handle bar.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 01:29 AM

Fastoman.

It could fit the bar ends.

However, my thoughts were to bolt it on into the V existing mirror mounting holes. It would fit as it looks to be 10mm mirrors. What I like is the colour of those mirrors.

Like anything else, I really cannot be 100% sure of these mirrors unless I try it on first . It's an idea and ideas make the world go round.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 03:07 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlee29 View Post
Fastoman.

. It's an idea and ideas make the world go round.

High time to catch up for a ride.

post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 11:32 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to rponiarski
I have tried a number of mirror options. The stock mirrors lasted about a month before they became loose and unusable. Got the Motorwerk mirror extenders and tried them with that. Same result. Then got Emgo Roadhawk mirrors and they were better, but still shakey and the left mirror seemed always to be working loose.

After a lot of searching here in the group, I got a pair of Emgo II mirrors and put them on this weekend. Originally wanted them on the mirror extenders, but I had some mounting trouble so I took the extenders off and just mounted it straight to the controls.

HOLY COW, BATMAN!!! What a difference. I could see behind me and to the side and there were no vibrations at all. They adjusted easily and stayed adjusted, something the stock mirrors weren't able to do and the Roadhawks had some trouble with. I could tell who was on my side and even recognize the car's make and model! And, they go out far enough that I didn't end up only seeing my elbows. A real revelation and I am so glad I tried them. Got them from Dennis Kirk for $12.95 as side; cheap for what they are and how good they work. Extremely, highly recommended!

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys
AMA#: 674623
ROK #: 100024905
Everybody is entitled to the reality of their own choosing...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode