YAMASAKI tall touring windshield-cheap - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
YAMASAKI tall touring windshield-cheap

Alright, I'll admit it, my other bike is a scooter. A 2007 Yamaha Majesty 400.The factory shield offers little in the way of wind protection when used on the scooter. Most owners go to a much larger screen to get a comfortable ride as did I. I tried to sell it on the Majesty site but no one buys them, why would they. I've seen them offered for as little as 30 dollars with no takers. Then a light went on. A little cutting, a little drilling. Here is the result. At 90 mph (actual) I was able to lift my helmet face plate with no wind coming in. After a three hour ride, no bugs on my helmet. It doesn't look bad on the bike. I cut away as little as possible to make it fit. Pictured are the pieces I cut away to clear the mirrors, about 1 1/8 inches per side.There is a detail in the shield which makes room for the brake and clutch levers so this determined the mounting height. I used a coping saw and a coarse and fine 1/2 round files and fine grit sand paper. Easy. It measures 16 1/2 inches from the top mounting hole of the factory mounts and 16 inches wide at the top. About 17 wide at the bottom.Maybe 25 0r 26 inches long over all. I'm a shade under 6 feet tall with a 33 inch inseam and I can look over the top. There are plenty for sale on the Majesty site if interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RSCN1595.JPG (653.1 KB, 614 views)
File Type: jpg RSCN1596.JPG (390.2 KB, 625 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1594.JPG (750.7 KB, 556 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1591.JPG (720.8 KB, 531 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1593.JPG (791.7 KB, 445 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1592.JPG (802.4 KB, 426 views)
File Type: jpg RSCN1588.JPG (247.4 KB, 478 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1587.JPG (380.7 KB, 430 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 07:37 PM

Thats an awesome piece of lateral thinking Blip...just curious tho, do you recon the mirrors would clear the screen with extenders attached? as that would save a lot of work on the cutting.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambamboo View Post
Thats an awesome piece of lateral thinking Blip...just curious tho, do you recon the mirrors would clear the screen with extenders attached? as that would save a lot of work on the cutting.
Yeah, I'd bet they would. I cut 1 1/8" and at full lock I still have a 1/2" or so. You would still have to trim the bottom a little. The cutting is real easy though. Quality screen it is. The toughest part is getting your lines and trying to hold the thing while working on it. A second pair of hands would be good. I stretched a string between the original mounting holes in the screen for a reference point for drilling the four holes needed for attachment to the V.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Here is the website. majestyusa.com

Last edited by blipco; 11-15-2009 at 07:52 PM.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 08:18 PM

Could you have just put the factory screen on top of this one and marked the mounting holes? I am impressed.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 07:46 AM

nice work, I'm betting with my set-up (mirror wideners, and bar risers in a backward position) no side cutting would be required at all. Even though I have a Givi windscreen this looks tempting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 09:48 AM

I love modifications that are cheap and work well. So I went by the Majesty site last night and found a stock windscreen for $25 shipped. It is on its way. I will take photos of my screen modification as it progresses and then report on its functionality. For $25, some cutting and modifying - seems worth it to me.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpsiguy View Post
Could you have just put the factory screen on top of this one and marked the mounting holes? I am impressed.
Possibly but I wanted the original contours to mate up with the levers. I held it in place with one hand and made a mark with a marker with the other then drilled one hole, then repeated for each hole.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRanger View Post
I love modifications that are cheap and work well. So I went by the Majesty site last night and found a stock windscreen for $25 shipped. It is on its way. I will take photos of my screen modification as it progresses and then report on its functionality. For $25, some cutting and modifying - seems worth it to me.
Good job, there are many more to be had like that. It's not a bad looking wind shield. Better than many after market screens. IMHO. I like mods that move junk out of my attic. I'm up in the air as to the Yamaha symbol. Maybe I'll just leave it to further confuse people as to what it is I'm riding.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 08:06 PM

Awesome and looks good

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 05:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to E-nigma
Nice handiwork with modest tools.

That screen sure is tall. Can you see over it or do you have to look through it?

It changes the lines of the bike quite a bit. I think it would look better if the top edges weren't flared out and it was about 4 inches shorter.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

E, I'm not sure I'm done trimming it. I plan only to use it in cold weather and long trips. The pictures make it look taller than it actually is. It is a tall one though. I look over the top, if I run my hand up, the wind hits about the top of my helmet. If I lean close to the shield it's dead air. I'm 5'- 11 1/2" with a 33" inseam. I used to think cutting a windshield was a dark art but it turns out to be no big deal. Even with old school tools. When was the last time you saw a coping saw ?
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
E, I'm not sure I'm done trimming it. I plan only to use it in cold weather and long trips. The pictures make it look taller than it actually is. It is a tall one though. I look over the top, if I run my hand up, the wind hits about the top of my helmet. If I lean close to the shield it's dead air. I'm 5'- 11 1/2" with a 33" inseam. I used to think cutting a windshield was a dark art but it turns out to be no big deal. Even with old school tools. When was the last time you saw a coping saw ?
High school shop class. But I remembered what it was. I cut down my cruiser shield making it 5 inches shorter. I taped the line, used a dremel on low speed to make a impression line, then used a sabre saw on med speed with medium pressure to cut the line. Carefully sanded the edge with 1000 grit sandpaper, and polished it with McGuires plastic polish. The edge looks better than factory. Cutting a shield sounds scary, but it is really a simple easy job.

Here is the cutdown windscreen on my Harley Fairing mounted to my Honda VTX.

Last edited by LoneRanger; 11-17-2009 at 03:44 PM.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

LR, nice work. Looks like you have a Harley that doesn't break down.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 07:09 AM

I purchased the Majesty windshield from a contact in Denver from the Majesty owners forum. Total cost $25 shipped! What a deal. I sawed off the Majesty mounting tabs. Used my old windshield as a template for drilling the bolt holes and installed it last night. I rode to work this morning (48 degrees F) and what a difference. This makes a great inexpensive touring windshield. I hit 90 mph on the way to work as a test - no buffeting, I was warm and protected. WHAT A DEAL! For $25 I have a $200 modification that really works. It looks a little funky when you are not on the bike, but the protection is fantastic.

Even though it is much larger than the stock shield, it sits firm and steady. No shaking or vibration.

I mounted it so the top of the shield is chin height for me (I am 5-10). I will have to trim some off the front bottom point as it covers the headlight a little.

When all modifications to the shield are complete, I will post pictures.

UPDATE: I was not happy with how tall the windshield is, so I cut off 2.5 inches off the top. It is a much nicer ride now - the shield does not bounce as much and it fits the bike better. Great mod!

Last edited by LoneRanger; 04-21-2010 at 02:13 PM.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

My mounting height was determined by the cut outs which made room for the levers. You had no clearance issues with the levers at full lock ? As a result it put the top of the shield just below my sight line and above my chin. I'm just under six feet. You lucked out on the price though most Maj owners must be tired of looking at the shields laying around the house. That scoot goes a hundred MPH !
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 09:26 PM

Here is result. I will need to make some side modifications to make room for the hand guards. I lowered mine to make the front look mean. The top of the shield is even with my chin and I am 5'10. Works great, looks good.

Last edited by LoneRanger; 11-30-2009 at 09:31 PM.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Sweet. That was my first choice of position then I decided I liked the bottom shape of the shield so I raised it. Keep in mind I was afraid to cut it having never done so. Looks like a contour cut to the headlight shape and you'll have a custom shield. Does it really block the light ?
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 11:01 PM

Thanks blipco!! Great idea! Man I love this forum! I too have a used 2007 Majesty 400 screen coming from a nice guy in Ohio who I found through the Majestyusa forum. $50 + shipping for a mint screen. Will post after I receive it and get it mounted in about a week or so. Thanks again!!
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
Sweet. That was my first choice of position then I decided I liked the bottom shape of the shield so I raised it. Keep in mind I was afraid to cut it having never done so. Looks like a contour cut to the headlight shape and you'll have a custom shield. Does it really block the light ?
I didn't notice any light blockage - but I always ride with the driving lights on. I did get some reflective light on the inside of the shield that was a little annoying. I will have to modify it to rectify the reflection issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode