Sprucing up a old helmet on the cheap - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sprucing up a old helmet on the cheap

I have a Shoei Qwest thatís a couple years or so old. Now it is a good helmet BUT I made one mistake when I bought it. I got a black one. I have seen the light and am shifting over to Hi-Vis gear and bought a HJC FC-17 in Hi-Vis. BUT the Shoei is too good to just toss so I decided to rehab it. I thought about it and decided paint was not a good idea, the solvents can destroy the foam so I was thinking how else I could do it and came up with an idea when I was installing rim tape on my bike. Why not on the helmet? It comes in lot of colors and some are reflective as well. So I picked a roll of Hi-Vis yellow plus a roll of red reflective tape and put on my ďThinking CapĒ to come up with something I could do without going nuts. Iím not the most artistic person, strait line and simple are my style. I came up with what seems like a workable design and started in.

First thing was the pull the helmet down and scrub it good. So the cheek pads came out and the shield off along with the mechanism that holds it to the helmet, 2 screws each. I then washed it good with hot soapy water, dried it and wiped it down with bit of alcohol to remove any wax or grease.

So hereís what Iím starting with. Not bad but a bit plain and dark. I soon changed that.

I started on one side and just 9 strips of Hi-Vis tape running front to back. I spaced the tape as close to the same as it is wide. The loose ends in the ďWellĒ will be cover by the shield mechanism so I did not get carried away trimming it. The left side has a little more molding in the ďWellĒ because of the shield lock set-up on the Shoei. The right side is easier to do.

On the rear I used reflective red. Itís a little harder to work with as it doesnít from a curve as easily been stiffer. I need to do a bit more work but you get the idea.

You can get an idea of the rear with the flash on. I think itíll light up fairly well when a carís behind me.

Not too bad for an Old Duffer. It took me about 4 hours mainly due to me not being very artistic. I just wanted to add a bit of Hi-Vis and reflective tape to a black helmet. Canít hurt and might help me be seen and NOT flattened! Total cost about $30.00 for a couple rolls of rim tape, plus there's a lot left over so Iíll add red to the rear of the HJC. Iím sure some of you guys could do a lot better.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Looks VERY nice to me....

-

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 01:39 PM

Garage
When you said you bought tape, I was terrified about what it was going to look like. But that looks petty good.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 02:25 PM
LDB

That doesn't look bad at all and may save your bacon one day.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 05:51 PM

Awesome job!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. BUT I have HIGH Standards to live up to. A Friend, Sly, wanted something on her Plain Jane helmet, bicycle helmet that is. She got a large piece of Scotch light and laid out a Dragon from a book and then free hand cut it. Took her about a week BUT it looked super and I hated to see her retire that lid and she refuses to do another. BUT like I said I'm a strait line kind of guy.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 06-06-2014 at 06:42 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 10:02 AM

Nice!!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 11:20 AM

That looks good.

I've got an old helmet that I want to revive and found a video from a guy who plasti dipped his in hi vis and it looked pretty decent....I want to give it a try.

Lovin every minute of it!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 11:56 AM

I think that looks excellent. I added visibility to a black helmet with moglo chevron stickers

http://www.moglo.co.uk/reflective_stickers.htm

with red at the back and white at the front.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 08:39 AM

Looks good Time. This is what I did to my Shoei Qwest. I got the reflective tape from some local auto parts place. It glows pretty well at night, but certainly is a bit more visible during the daytime too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1958.jpg (48.4 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1957.jpg (46.0 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1959.jpg (49.7 KB, 91 views)

---------------------------------------
2008 Kawasaki Versys
1980 Yamaha XS650
"The Wonder Twins"

Last edited by jfinnan; 06-11-2014 at 08:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode