Extra fuel mod - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Extra fuel mod

So I have been wanting to take off the fairings around the tank and put in a new headlight as well but my problem was that I don't have the skill or tools to make the tank look better. I have also wanted to have some extra fuel storage and water as well.

This is an idea I am kicking around. Anyone have any good ideas on how to make it work without the bungees? Also need to figure out what to do with the coolant overflow.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 01:54 PM

I like it! Very KLRish.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 02:57 PM

Looks cool until you high side, then it will look really cool (with flames). Have you thought of attaching them in the back like cases or along with cases if you have them? As far as the tank, I wonder if a ninja 650r tank would bolt right on just a thought. I know you said your tools are limited, but what about fabricating a bracket that mounts on the existing tabs that the fuel/water tanks slide into. I would just be worried about them interfering with my knees and or handlebars.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanThomas View Post
Looks cool until you high side, then it will look really cool (with flames). Have you thought of attaching them in the back like cases or along with cases if you have them? As far as the tank, I wonder if a ninja 650r tank would bolt right on just a thought. I know you said your tools are limited, but what about fabricating a bracket that mounts on the existing tabs that the fuel/water tanks slide into. I would just be worried about them interfering with my knees and or handlebars.

Honestly I was worried about bursting into a ball of flame on a highside. Once I got this tank I wasn't worried much anymore. An incident that would damage this tank to the point of a fire would probably kill me.

I have read that a ninja tank works but I am really in the business of not spending money and trying new things out. I could mount it too my back top case if it comes down to it.

Fabricating a bracket that mounts up to the tabs is exactly what I want to do. I got lucky when I custom mounted my rear cases (look in my history if your interested which only cost me about $100 for the cases and mounts) I don't think I will get lucky finding something that will work here. My fabricating skills have never been used really and I don't think I have the tools/machines/knowledge to do so either.

Where I have the tank mounted right now it does not interfere with the handlebars or my knees which is really nice.

My other big problem with this is the coolant overflow tank replacement. I can't do what most people do when they make a new one and mount it too the side because the spare tank will be there instead.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I don't think it's that a good an idea... looks good but the tabs on the side of the tank are only spot welded and they might peel open spilling fuel onto the hot engine ... then you would find a hot ball of flames between your legs!

You need a more sturdy mount and the rear side rack or rear top rack would be better - and as designed for.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
I don't think it's that a good an idea... looks good but the tabs on the side of the tank are only spot welded and they might peel open spilling fuel onto the hot engine ... then you would find a hot ball of flames between your legs!

You need a more sturdy mount and the rear side rack or rear top rack would be better - and as designed for.
Damn I hadn't though about that, very good point.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
Carrying fuel like that is a bad idea for a variety of reasons.

Tell us where you plan to ride that requires 7 gallons of fuel between stops, I've only found one in all of NA.
I would only have 6 gallons in between stops (the other side would be used for water) which for me is only 240 miles in perfect cruising conditions, the NW is not know for flat roads for days. You are correct that it is highly unlikely that I would ever need it but it makes my trips more enjoyable to have it.

My whole idea here is that I want to change up the front up a little bit and don't have the ability make the tank look better, hence trying to think of good ideas to hid or use the tabs. So just kicking some ideas around.

By the way big fan of your work.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
It's pretty hard to do stuff like you are wanting to do without the skills and tools. As far as extra fuel capacity, just use the Rotopax and get a rear rack and mount it on that:

Taking the side panels off opens up a whole world of modifications to make it look halfway decent. And as far as water get a camel back hydration backpack and you can drink on the go!! One of my riding buddies has one and it's hardly noticeable:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 07:11 PM

Well it is up to you of course, but I think the Rotopax Belongs on the back somewhere.

Having said that, you might be able to build some sort of bracket to bolt the Roto mount to the upper crashbar... Maybe Vertically.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...d.php?p=598298

Last edited by jmarleau; 06-05-2014 at 07:13 PM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 06:52 AM

Yeah I have a few of those MSR fuel bottles from my days on my Harley 48 (2.1 gallon tank) and they work pretty well. Half gallon usually gets you where you need to go in a pinch.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 08:43 AM
LDB

A lot of people seem to have a major problem with stopping for fuel. This isn't directed specifically at you, but using your info for convenience. You say you are getting 40mpg so that would be 200 miles on the stock tank. That's maybe a 10 minute stop every 2.5 hours with a good reserve left or pushing it 10 minutes every 3 hours with not much reserve. You might bump that up a noticeable amount with a change in riding style. You might not be able to change it at all. For some riders though, it wouldn't be difficult to gain several mpg with a little lower dose of hormones.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
A lot of people seem to have a major problem with stopping for fuel. This isn't directed specifically at you, but using your info for convenience. You say you are getting 40mpg so that would be 200 miles on the stock tank. That's maybe a 10 minute stop every 2.5 hours with a good reserve left or pushing it 10 minutes every 3 hours with not much reserve. You might bump that up a noticeable amount with a change in riding style. You might not be able to change it at all. For some riders though, it wouldn't be difficult to gain several mpg with a little lower dose of hormones.
Being on the Right Coast there are stations every 10 miles or so. BUT the trips I have made out west brought home to me why a lot of guys stress so much about gas mileage and capacity. Going across the Texas panhandle years ago we were told to fill up as it was 200 miles to the next gas station. ND was no better. My Versys would have had me biting nails as I normally get 160-170 before the low gas flashing start. My KLR would have been a breeze it goes 260-280 until reserve.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
As far as extra fuel capacity, just use the Rotopax and get a rear rack and mount it on that
And as far as water get a camel back hydration backpack and you can drink on the go!! One of my riding buddies has one and it's hardly noticeable:
Yeah I do have a KTMduels rack with a case mounted on it which I could mount this tank to as well I just think it starts to stack a little high, I also have a camel back that I have used on past trips and will probably still use. I just would like an extra gallon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
BUT the trips I have made out west brought home to me why a lot of guys stress so much about gas mileage and capacity. Going across the Texas panhandle years ago we were told to fill up as it was 200 miles to the next gas station. ND was no better. My Versys would have had me biting nails as I normally get 160-170 before the low gas flashing start
Yeah I feel you, I was in southeast Oregon a couple months ago and we got lucky when we found a curve in the road that was hiding a fuel station, grocery store, diner, and hotel all in one building. Of course my buddy rides a DR650 and never has a fuel issue due to his better mpg.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
I removed the charcoal canister from my '09, which then allows about an extra half gallon (fill right to the top of the neck, but ONLY when continuing riding, at least 10 to 15 miles, or else it'll leak when on the stand. I NEVER fill-up UNLESS I'm making miles), and at 55 mpg that pretty much gives me 300 miles to tank DRY. When you get to the LAST little fuel segment (of six) in your gauge, you have about 5L or 1.3USgal left. Again, at 55 mpg that gives 71.5 miles to dry. Even if you only get 40 mpg, those numbers are 200 miles, and 52.... Do a little planning, and you won't run out.

On my lon-n-g northern trips I carry a 1 gallon tank, and that's for my stove as well as fuel emergencies. (Which I have NOT had, SO FAR...)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 12:50 PM

I do the same thing on the road, get about an extra 1/2 gal in the tank. On mine from the time "low fuel" flashes 'til it quits is about 35 miles.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 01:35 PM
LDB

Yes, there are areas where stations are a good distance apart. The flipside of that coin, and every coin has one, is that riding style can have a significant impact. Realizing any numbers given are subject to conditions, the BMW F800 is listed at 55mpg at 75mph but jumps to 69mpg at 55mph. With a 4.0 gallon tank that's 220 miles or 276 miles range. I don't think our bikes can match those numbers but we have an extra gallon.

Yeah, I know all the arguments and all those have a flipside too. At 55 you have more time to react. Stopping distance is much much shorter. Scenery is much less of a blur. You can get away with looking around and enjoying the ride with far less risk. Your equipment is much less stressed. And I'm sure a number of others that offset more of the arguments against slowing down.

There actually isn't any written rule or factual evidence that motorcycles can only be enjoyed at high speed although it's a prevalent urban myth and not untrue in it's own right.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 01:35 PM

Or you can just make a simple mount that holds a small one US Gallon fuel pack....

I need it for one stretch between Happy Valley Goose Bay and Port Hope Simpson. It's 400km. (250 miles) Can you say piece of mind?

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 04:36 PM

Here's my extra gallon...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zaZ5txn.jpg (50.9 KB, 92 views)

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode