EZpass Toll Transponder Mount? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
EZpass Toll Transponder Mount?

For those on the East Coast, has anyone found a good mounting location for their EZPass toll transponder? I've tried mounting it inside the fairing at the front, leaving it under my seat, and keeping it in my pocket-none have worked. The best solution seems to be one of Speedy's inside the windshield mounting plates, but I'd prefer to not have it sitting out in the open.

Todd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSRibeye View Post
For those on the East Coast, has anyone found a good mounting location for their EZPass toll transponder? I've tried mounting it inside the fairing at the front, leaving it under my seat, and keeping it in my pocket-none have worked. The best solution seems to be one of Speedy's inside the windshield mounting plates, but I'd prefer to not have it sitting out in the open.

Todd
I just velcroed mine to the inside of the trunk lid. I won't be near a toll booth for a while to give your an answer on functionality.

My license plate is registered with MD. For a bad read, they use the tag for posting.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 01:31 PM

Mine is just velcored to the windscreen, I couldn't get it to work anywhere else on one toll that I have to pass everyday. I cover my bike at the train station so I leave it on. When I go to the airport for example, I just pop it off and stick it in my bag, I mean it pops on and off in a second, no big deal.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 10:21 AM

I mounted my E-Z pass on the forward facing side of Speedy's gps mount. It has worked like a charm. I'm thinking about spray painting it black to help it blend in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

Last edited by brothercannon; 11-21-2009 at 08:32 PM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I mounted my E-Z pass on the forward facing side of Speedy's gps mount. I has worked like a charm. I'm thinking about spray painting it black to help it blend in.
When I had mine mounted like that on my Harley, I put black electrical tape over the section with the EZ Pass logo.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 01:09 AM

In the bay area,ca they have fastrak toll pass.The toll authority says to either put it in your pocket or just leave it at home and they will enter your plate into their system and just bill your account.

To many people on motorcycles have accidents on bridges one was a guy who ran into the arm that goes up and down at the booth during rush hour why he was trying to stop and get his transponder out in the carpool lane. oh and the arm was up

The stupid part is motorcycles do not have to pay tolls if they go thru crpool lane during carpool hours
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 12:39 PM

I've got mine on top of the brake light, strapped between the rear rack tubes, works perfect
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 11:27 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to rponiarski
I initially had mine installed via the dual loc tape they give you on my windscreen. Fell off as I was crossing the Throgs Neck Bridge and I wasn't going to stop and pick it up. Also tried a radar mount on my handlebar, but the screws came loose, even with loctite, so now I keep it in the phone compartment on my Joe Rocket Manta tankbag. Works occasionally, but is easy to get to to give to the officer if the transponder isn't read...

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys
AMA#: 674623
ROK #: 100024905
Everybody is entitled to the reality of their own choosing...

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 11:35 AM

I keep mine in the inside pocket of a tank bag, no issues here in Texas.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas gentleman! I've tried my pocket and tailbag, neither would register. Ultimately my tag is captured by the camera anyway, but I thought I would try to make life easy. I'll try the tail mount for now and see if I can work out a different windshield mount-I like the idea of painting it black.

Todd
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 07:58 PM

Cool ideas but I am glad I went with the twisted throttle version because half of the time I have to take it out of the mount to hand to the police to activate the toll.

EZ Pass Mount - http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/3008

There is a little washer that they have for the Versys, the friendly guy at Twisted Throttle saw it when I was visiting a few years back at brought it to my attention, worked much better than the electrical tape I had used as a spacer. The only drawback is that with the Givi screen you have to pivot the mount to trip the EZ pass tool, when you are through just pivot it to a position where it does not interfere.

J B Nimble

08 Kawasaki Versys 650 (22,400 mi.)

Givi Windscreen
EZ Pass Holder(bar mounted)
6 panel fuse box(Twisted throttle)
Ground wiring block(Twisted Throttle)
Motowerks GPS Bracket
GPS City Tom Tom bracket
12V accessory plug
TomTom 720 Go
Hepco & Becker engine guard
Hella FF50 Driving lights
Bags Connection "Shorty" tankbag
Bags Connection "Cargobag"
Givi 52L trunk box & rack
Saddlemen Gel Seat
Ermax Hugger Fender

06 Kawasaki KLR 650 (sold 13, 679 mi.)
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 10:37 PM

Google.com E-pass plastic holder. A couple of years ago I found a plastic holder that uses three suction cups on it. I have stuck this to my windshield or other smooth plastic. It has never failed me and has always registered as I past by the sensor.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 08:47 AM

I carry mine in the breast pocket of my riding jacket. I don't always have my tank bag and I have two bikes, but I always wear a jacket.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
2003 ST1300ABS (SOLD 5/15)
IBA 59868
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 11:43 PM

Tank bag top pocket. I suspect the bike without it does not trigger the sensors. No flash when riding pass the toll plaza without it.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 10:31 PM

Excuse me for reviving an old thread, but I have been going through this issue this spring, now that I'm making regular trips into the land of tolls for work. (It's nice living where freeways are mostly free.)

In the end, I went a different route from everyone else in the thread. I mounted the E-ZPass transponder using magnets. I can pull it off in half a second and stick it in my pocket if I'm leaving the bike unattended, it cost me just a couple of bucks, and the transponder reads much more reliably than it did on the windshield.

If you want to see the details, read 'em here.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
yup...that's definitely an east coast thing...
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 04:43 PM

I used the included supervelcro to mount it to the top of the instrument cluster, at the very bottom of the windshield. Despite the curves in the plastic there it fits perfectly and is easily removable for the majority of the time when I keep it locked up in my topcase.

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 10:02 PM

Garage
Ibhave it Velcro ed to the inside of my windshield.
I have speedys gps mount, and there is no way to remove the tag without removing the windshield.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 10:41 PM

The advantage of magnets is there's nothing left behind when I'm not using it. And I only use it a few days a month, fortunately. Yeah, it's an East Coast thing.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode