Economical saddlebags - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
LDB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Economical saddlebags

What is a good first set of bags at an economical price to use until a really good set can be added?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 01:05 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/parts/...addlebags.html

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 01:15 AM

Motorcycle Superstore has a nice set of MotoCentric soft sport bags on for 79.99 (50%off). I have a MotoCentric tank bag and the quality is pretty decent.

Lovin every minute of it!

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 04:40 AM

hard or soft is the question.
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 06:18 AM

LDB . . . where are you located? If there's is a Cycle Gear in your area, I've always been very pleased with their selection and price. You may also want to consider the size of the bags. Some of them LOOK sporty but (in my opinion) are so small you'll only be able to carry a rain suit on one side and a can of chain lube and bottle of water on the other!
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 07:04 AM

Garage
Givi E21s are the best bang for the buck for hard cases.

Always trust your cape.
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojunkee View Post
hard or soft is the question.
my girlfriend doesn't like soft..but don't tell the wife...
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 09:25 PM

I have the Happy Trails hard bags and I love them. Not only do they provide protection to the bike in the event you drop it but they are also HUGE so you can store all kinds of stuff in them. I really like mine and I cant say anything but good things about them.
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
Givi E21s are the best bang for the buck for hard cases.
In terms of hard bags, Givi E21s clearly are the most economical choice. Then later, if you decide you need more space, you can buy larger Givi bags to fit the same mounts.

Or you could be like me and pack light and never need anything more. I put my E21s on my Versys just days after I bought it, four years ago, and they've served me well.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
LDB

I like the V35 Givi but not the 21 quite as much. I can't find dealer info though. I think I'm leaning a little toward hard bags so they will lock. I'd like to be able to put my rainsuit etc. in and lock the bag and not worry about someone opening it and taking stuff away in just seconds.

Well, now that I see a photo of the 21's on the bike I like them a little more. How much are they and where can you buy them?

Last edited by LDB; 05-25-2014 at 10:14 PM.
post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 12:36 AM

I've found sporttour.com has goood prices on Givi hard luggage.

http://www.sporttour.com/products/25...ddlebags-Pair/

You'll also need mounting hard ware.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 06:33 AM

I picked up a pair of these about a week ago for $48 on Amazon- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RN4FK6/ref=oh_details_o05_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They're not great, but they're decent quality and hold stuff. They were cheap too.

2013 Kawasaki Versys, 2012 BMW K1600 GTL, 2013 Triumph Street Triple R, 2006 HD Electra Glide Classic
post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 06:58 AM

Garage
Here's a link from Twisted Throttle:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/givi-...21-liters-case

They have the E21s for $179.10/pair. Economical compared to V35s at $521.10 or E41s at $517.50. The racks that will support the E2s will also hold other larger boxes if you decide to upgrade later. IMO the E21s are a great size, I've used them for a few years, and I prefer their top-loading design. Here's some pics of the E21s on the V:

Always trust your cape.
post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
LDB

The 21's do look like a good starting option. I guess I'm not trusting enough to go with bags that aren't lockable. I think since it requires the extra kit for the racks it would make sense to get the one that accepts the top case rather than the slightly less expensive option that would have to be replaced to add a top case later on. If only all the kit didn't cost over twice as much as the bags but it is good for any bags later on too at least.
post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 09:03 AM

I have the V35 and they are nice boxes and look like they were made for the Versys BUT cheap they're not. The E21 are a much better deal for a starter set up.

OR you can get a set of Pelican boxes. I have the 1520 on my KLR and they are tougher than a $2.00 steak. They do run a bit more than the Givi but they will last just about forever. I have crashed and bashed them for close to 5 years and they still look good and are still water tight. Woulds largest Frame Sliders!

Remember you will need mounting brackets for any of these case. That can add $200.00-$300.00, I like the SW Motech from Twisted Throttle. BTW the V35 need their own bracket that will not work with any other style box. The E21 and Pelican cases can share the same mounts.

BUT if you look you can find the Pelican cases on E-Bay at times. I got a 1600 for a top box at about 1/3 of list.

Not the best photo but you get an idea of size, the red tape is reflective, can't hurt might help!

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 05-26-2014 at 09:54 AM.
post #16 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 09:50 AM
djg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
where can you buy them?
What country do you live in?
post #17 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
LDB

USA, Texas
post #18 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 10:05 AM
djg

Then the previously linked Sport tour site is the way to go. I got a Givi top box from them, ordered by phone. I learned that I could have purchased my Shoei helmet cheaper there if I had ordered from them by phone. Really nice people, great service, and recommend phone order as they can give you lower prices than they can advertise and sell for via internet sales. I have E21s and some bigger Givi sidebags. Usually use the E21s, very convenient. But they are very small.

And...... the Givi racks for the E21s will fit any Givi sidebags EXCEPT the V35s. They use a different rack that only works with those bags.

Last edited by djg; 05-26-2014 at 10:07 AM.
post #19 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
What is a good first set of bags at an economical price to use until a really good set can be added?
I have SHAD hardcases and topcase. Very satisfied with them and price ($399 for sidecases and brackets) is great too. Have a look for specials at http://www.shadonline.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=215
post #20 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 12:47 AM

I think from an ergonomics perspective....the e21's look the best on the bike. The Versys is not a big bike, sure it's tall, but it's not big. Some of the bigger hard bags look goofy, kinda like the tail wagging the dog, if that makes any sense at all. But it's a very personal decision and I'm not criticizing anyone. I'm one of those odd ducks that likes the bike totally stock and throws a back pack on when I go away or need to carry something.

Lovin every minute of it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode