replacement brake and clutch levers - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 03:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
replacement brake and clutch levers

I've looked around at several replacement brake and clutch levers...some cheap (hong kong) and some not so cheap...I'm not THAT worried about the price..my concern is the brake lever...My 2012 brake lever has a concave section where it meets the push rod to the master cylinder...I'm thinking the flat surfaces I see on most of the replacement levers might not be optimum...What levers..brandwise..have you all had good success with?
Oh yeah..I broke the brake lever and would like something a little snazzier than stock...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 02:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
What about trying the low cost levers, just use a drill bit to add a concave area to the flat where they meet?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 06:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I got the Pazzos for my V. They are a perfect replacement fit. I know some on here have had good luck with the cheap Chinese/Hong Kong levers, but I've heard of too many issues to take the chance. Issues were improper fit, causing the brakes to not fully release, resulting in over heating and subsequent lock up. Not worth it to me to save a few bucks. The two tried and true brands I've used are Pazzo and CRG. I also currently have an AGV clutch lever on another bike.

Personally, I wouldn't try modifying levers. I don't like taking chances with my front brakes, but that's just me. YMMV, especially if you're an engineer/machinist, etc. I'm not!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 12:53 PM

Warning: ASV levers only work brake side. Not clutch side. I bought a perch off a different bike and swapped out so I have ASV on both sides and love them.

Some sites list the ASVs do work on the Versys but they aren't fully disclosing things. I talked with ASV and they suggested the changed perch solution which took 20 minutes and works great.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 08:48 PM

O.E.M brake and clutch levers are high quality. The Chinese knock-offs maybe not.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 07:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Yup, OEM are good, but with my smaller hands, I like the dog-leg shape and increased adjustability of the Pazzos and CRGs.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 09:16 PM

I ordered a set of cheap levers because the previous owner had bent up the brake lever, and I wanted ones that matched. These were only $24.99 for both, and they seem really nice. I don't notice any problems, and they look great on the bike.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Clutch-Br...2867ce&vxp=mtr

I got black anodized instead of the bare gray aluminum. But they have lots of colors available for the same price. You can adjust the clutch cable so the number of adjustment positions on the clutch lever isn't a big deal. On the brake side, right now, it is on the biggest reach setting (#6). I might have to add a shim to the cylinder piston so that I am on a 3 or 4 (of 6). It isn't bad on #6, since I have it adjusted so that I can keep two fingers on the grip and still grab the brakes really hard. I doubt I would squeeze the front brakes that hard without locking it up anyway, so it may be that a #5 adjustment would work just as well...

-Ben.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode