Laminar Lip stock windshield addon - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Laminar Lip stock windshield addon

Just fitted the new Laminar Lip addon today. Tried with stock shield mounted several locations and with 1/4" spacers under bottom mounts.

Think the best position is top mount, no spacers. Turbulence is much less with this addon, over the stock windshield. You could mount it on the stock shield upside down but I didn't.

http://laminarlip.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg laminar.jpg (131.6 KB, 671 views)
File Type: jpg laminar2.jpg (132.7 KB, 567 views)
File Type: jpg laminar3.jpg (150.0 KB, 470 views)

07 K1200GT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Tiger 1050 (on the way)
08 Versys (Sold)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

08 Ninja 250r (wife's)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 09:29 PM

Not sure if i like the look of the windshield. However, did u have to do any machining of the handlebar clamps to get those Pro-Tapers to work? Also, what model/bend did u get?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 05:56 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm not completely sold on it either, seems to big, but the stock shield is tiny so tough to mate with. Might have fitted better upside down. The tall windshield is still my favorite.

I did machine the riser for the oversize protaper. Clamped one end on stock size bar in lathe, bored out other end. Clamped bored end on turned mandrel and bored the opposite end. Also put a 1/4" spacer inbetween the riser parts to not take too much meat off.

Kept the stock bolt locations, but used longer bolts, had to grind a relief on the bar slightly for the bolts to pass.

Not sure it was worth all the trouble, a 7/8" protaper would have been just fine. Also, I liked the stock bar but bent it in a drop in front ditch.

07 K1200GT

08 Versys (Sold)

08 Ninja 250r (wife's)

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 11:49 PM

Exclamation Danger

Notching the handlebar tube is wildly dangerous. You have installed two areas of weakness that most likely will fail without notice! Looking cool is not worth you or your passengers life. Get a set of 7/8ths bars on that sucker.

Japanese scientists have created a camera with such a fast shutter speed they now can photograph a woman with her mouth shut.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 05:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the heads up, I'm aware of the weakening. Very slight clearance, and was cut with sharp endmill on a mill. Not the same as grinding, but certainly a personal choice. We are talking a clean cut and about .035" deep only.

Another option would be to build some custom risers out of 6061, which is not to hard to do either.

Would replace stock if resale was involved, but this bike is my personal fun machine!

07 K1200GT

08 Versys (Sold)

08 Ninja 250r (wife's)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 05:57 PM

What kind of side luggage

Quote:
Originally Posted by versys_guy View Post
Just fitted the new Laminar Lip addon today. Tried with stock shield mounted several locations and with 1/4" spacers under bottom mounts.

Think the best position is top mount, no spacers. Turbulence is much less with this addon, over the stock windshield. You could mount it on the stock shield upside down but I didn't.

http://laminarlip.com
Versys Guy
What type and size of side luggage are you using. I'd like to see some pics.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

That is the stock Givi luggage, mounted on sw_motech mounts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP1400.JPG (120.0 KB, 482 views)

07 K1200GT

08 Versys (Sold)

08 Ninja 250r (wife's)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 12:38 AM

Lip report

So how is the Lip working for you? effective? durable?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

I am running the kawaski tall, no lip. The lip does not really fit up well with the stock shield, maybe another shield it would be fine. Sorta like the vario maybe.

I do run it for the GT tho on the stock shield does an excellant job.

07 K1200GT

08 Versys (Sold)

08 Ninja 250r (wife's)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 06:38 PM

Question

So it doesn't fit up well? Was it the looks or something else? Could you tell a difference when you rode with it?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Oh, it will fit the stock windshield but you can see in the picture it is large compared to the stocker shield. Think it needs to be cut in half vertically.

I can put my hand in front of the stocker and can deflect the wind nicely, so think it is just too large for the stock (itty bitty) shield.

07 K1200GT

08 Versys (Sold)

08 Ninja 250r (wife's)
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 02:02 PM

I installed the Laminar Lip yesterday and it does help. However, it still hits me at about my eyes on up. It's installed as high as it can possibly be installed. I've got the Givo coming today and I think the lip should fit on it as well. I have a feeling that with the Givo and the lip installed even with the top of the windshield it should block all of the wind plus soften the turbulence and reduce the noise. I'll let you know when finished. Also, I think once I get the 2" lower gel seat, the Laminar Lip on the stock windshield will be perfect for warm weather.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 10:47 PM

Stryker,

How did the Lip work out on the Givi windshild?

I have the Givi, and I get buffeting on the helmet forehead area when riding over 65 mph.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

Totally fixed the wind noise on the Tiger, but some say it looks fugly, I don't care, quiet now! Ride em. (that is the Versys Laminar Lip on the Tiger)

07 K1200GT

08 Versys (Sold)

08 Ninja 250r (wife's)
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 11:09 AM

Laminar lip

So, you've not tried it on the Versys then.

It looks like you have mounted it on your Triumph higher than then one in the photo on the Laminar webpage (on the Versys). You must have likely did some experimenting on height/placement. It good to hear that it works, even if it's not the best looking windscreen.

Is it easy to remove it, if you needed to?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode